Page tourists, COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trix

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Since many of the bus tour vacationers are Asians, are the buses MIA and hotels vacant? Knowing I'm a Powell watcher, a neighbor asked me for advice on their upcoming group trip to Page for Lower Antelope Canyon and other destinations.

I expect a dramatic decrease of Asian visitors in all of the national and state parks. Probably a good summer for us locals to get out with smaller crowds. UNLESS the virus takes a major hold here.

It is not just us it is world wide. If the new virus doesn’t kill me. I might actually be able to go to Yellowstone in July and get a camping spot.😎

As a side note, I recently read where some of the Chinese airlines are only charging $4 for a flight. One of my friends is a travel agent, and she is probably going to go find another means of employment.

I'm in the hospitality business in Mexican Hat Utah...we have yet to see an unusual number of cancellations or a drop in reservations, however, we don't have a lot of Asian tourists here. If it gets too bad I'll be living on the lake! ha. I sincerely wonder if this isn't a ruse of sorts :)

I'm in the hospitality business in Mexican Hat Utah...we have yet to see an unusual number of cancellations or a drop in reservations, however, we don't have a lot of Asian tourists here. If it gets too bad I'll be living on the lake! ha. I sincerely wonder if this isn't a ruse of sorts :)
I think the ruse is in our own heads. Ignorance and fear are way more dangerous than the viris. Why can we live with 200,000 hospitalizations and about 20,000 deaths in the U.S. every year from flu but totally freak out on the covid 19?

I think the ruse is in our own heads. Ignorance and fear are way more dangerous than the viris. Why can we live with 200,000 hospitalizations and about 20,000 deaths in the U.S. every year from flu but totally freak out on the covid 19?
Exactly! The riots in Hong Kong and China have been squelched...and 'Trump's Economy' has nose dived over this...hmmm...

There are plenty of numbers on the % recovered- but as airford1 stated the mortality rate in 2.3% -- that is a lot of families affected

Heard a mortality rate of 2.3% so that makes it about 3 times worst than the seasonal Flu.
As I understand it, the mortality rate is not the real concern at this point. It is the apparent ease of transmission of a new virus that nobody has any immunity to that is the concern. The SARS virus had a much higher fatality rate, but the human to human transmission rate was much lower.....

I work in Jackson, and can say without question that a drop in the numbers of tourist buses will not be missed by many!!!

Last edited:
Exactly! The riots in Hong Kong and China have been squelched...and 'Trump's Economy' has nose dived over this...]

I agree, it’s confusing to reconcile “it’s like the flu”
with “large groups of people are being quarantined”. However, conspiracy theories aside, it makes sense. Its looking like if you aren’t immunocompromised or over 60 years old, you have very little to worry about from Covid19 as an individual. As a society, though, we have to worry about those who are dying from this, those who are sick and unable work, the limits of our hospitals to handle an influx of critically ill people and what is still unknown about this very highly transmissible disease which is closely related to a family of new diseases (SARS, MRS) with a lower transmissibility but much higher mortality. In the absence of a vaccine or herd immunity, the only chance of limiting it and letting it die out on its own is to take drastic action in a very very narrow window of time. There really isn’t an acceptable alternative, other than the Malthusian option. Even if it’s “not worse than the flu” (but it is somewhat worse for several reasons), do we need another seasonal flu-like disease causing deaths, illness, economic impacts on a continuing basis?

The best thing we can do is protect others by protecting ourselves to not get sick by: effective hand washing ( long enough to go through the Happy Birthday song twice), trying to not touch our faces, and covering coughs with our arms, not hands. We do NOT want to get sick just as the weather gets good for fishing!

In no way am I trivializing this virus and am not real confident that the steps we are taking will be good enough to prevent a rapid transmission rate but that being said we are responsible for our own behavior so we must be diligent in doing what we can to limit the spread as stated in prior thread. By the way, my wife just returned from Dominic Republic and didn't see a single instance of people being checked for the virus. That is a little scary to me.

In no way am I trivializing this virus and am not real confident that the steps we are taking will be good enough to prevent a rapid transmission rate but that being said we are responsible for our own behavior so we must be diligent in doing what we can to limit the spread as stated in prior thread. By the way, my wife just returned from Dominic Republic and didn't see a single instance of people being checked for the virus. That is a little scary to me.
You raise some good points. I was trying to convey the same. The whole thing is fascinating to watch unfold.

Mortality rate is 20 times the flue , so if 23,000 people died from the flue , this could be 460,000 . First person died today in the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back