WAYNE'S RETIREMENT DATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I see! Wait until there's no water in the lake and punch out!

Hahaha... Just kidding.

I've only been to Powell one time, for a week last May, and it was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had. But, reading the comments on this board, it's easy to see what an impact you've made the fishery at Powell, and lives of the folks who frequent the lake.

Job well done Sir! And thank you for your service, that's a lot of years.

Wow Wayne how can you retire from a job like that? Lake Powell has never BENN a job for me. Only heaven could be as good as long as there is fishing. I would say congratulations' but, I would have a hard time retiring from your job. I guess your vacations will not be at Lake Powell? Mine soon will be again. Due to a divorce and selfish ex I have not been to Powell for a while. You will probably see me in Good Hope bay or the Upper San Juan in a kayak from now on. Does not matter as long as get to cast. I finally got to retire so I will giving my fish reports again. I started fishing Lake Powell with my Dad and Uncle Keith in 1969 and have seen the changes you were talking about. The LMB, Crappie and Bluegill fishing was amazing in the early 70'S. Most people who I tell about the San Juan during that time don't believe me. but we caught numerous LMB between 5 and 8 lbs. during that time. Crappie were all around 1 to 2.5 pounds and in places we would catch them every cast so we would jerk real hard to tear though the lips so we could catch a LMB. This is most amazing lake in the world. I just hope and pray that when the carbon emissions slow then the lake will fill back up again? I am currently writing a book on fishing Lake Powell and when I finish it I will send you a copy to tell me how much I missed but I think I qualify to write a book on fishing Lake Powell due to the hours I have spent on it's waters. Congrat's I guess and hope to see you on the water soon. The original Bass Man. K.C. Benn

I've been going to Lake Powell since the late 70s We've both had a long term relationship with this lake and although you and I have only crossed paths a couple of times (one was doing a net survey with you) its been great fun listening to you "talk" about where to fish on this lake for so many years.
As one who retired a decade ago from a long term career don't be too surprised if it takes you a year or more to fall into the RETIRED mode of living. Its hard to go from work every day to every day is Saturday but it eventually happens.
Enjoy it while you can. Time marches on and the years begin to add up and slow us all down but for now enjoy the retirement - you've earned it!

Thank you, Wayne.

Your lifetime achievements have been enjoyed by millions. Many are unaware, but there are many others that know exactly why Powell is the success story for fishing SO many species.
Meeting you at Shad Rallies, and fishing side by side with you was always a pleasure. I still have my autographed Striper license plate, and display it proudly. You've made a difference, and we ALL reap the rewards. Enjoy every minute of your retirement my friend ~ Travis

Wayne - congratulations on retirement. You've certainly earned it. Many thanks for being a big part of the memories so many of us will forever cherish. You are a true innovator in your field.

Wayne,
Thank you for everything you have done for all those that love the lake and those worldwide travelers which are awed by its beauty. Without you the fishing could be a complete different experience. My admiration for you and the thanks I can give seem severely inadequate compared to who you are as a person and as a leader at Lake Powell. Enjoy your wife, your children and especially your grandchildren, its well deserved. We will see you at the lake.

Thank you Wayne for all you have done for this lake. I’ve been coming since I was 9 in 1976 as a fisherman and I have seen it grow every year since. What a trip it’s been. But most importantly is thank you for being a friend for 20 something years? And being as excited about all the Shad rallies as we all were.
Some of us old timers on this site have pretty much seen it all done it all and lived through it all together as we all make our memories.
I could go on and on with names but you guys that know me and the ole gang know exactly who you are!
Wayne don’t be a stranger you have my number call me if you EVER need anything!
THANK YOU SIR!!

Congratulations, Wayne, on a most remarkable legacy; your stewardship of the lake will go down in history long after you're gone. A special thanks for your guidance to thousands of people on this web site on how best to use the wonders of Lake Powell. and for helping me directly when I had specific questions; much appreciated! Now that you're retired, you fish Lake Powell everyday :)

Congrats, you have done a great job at LP. Enjoy retirement I myself just retired, so fishing more is on my list. Enjoy your time, my wife just says you get more time together on less money!!

What an incredible tribute to a great man from so many fisherman that have used Wayneswords (words of fishing wisdom) to make their trip to such a magnificent place so much better. It is so great to see and I hope your retirement party is even better. More importantly, that you continue doing what you love and sharing your wisdom with the rest of us.

Wayne, you are a legend to many! My family is very grateful for the work you have put into building this amazing fishery and the support of this site. One of Luke's (my son) favorite birthdays was spent with you and some other biologist up in good hope camping, and catching and tagging walleyes. He still talks about it and about how kind you were. You brought him a big blueberry muffin for his birthday (I think he was turning 12 or 13). Thanks for all you have done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back