New Utah Boat Registration Requirement - Effective 7/1 - Applies to AZ launches as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m fine with paying the fee, I’m fine with all of it, but don’t make it so confusing that I get a ticket or can’t launch because I don’t have all articles of what Utah requires up to date…which we’re getting pretty close to.

I also haven’t seen any kind of decontamination for the last couple years leaving lake Powell. We’ve went through this plenty but we’re paying money for a program nobody actually cares about.

I read about the tanks but how long before these are broken or “worry we don’t have time”. From what I’ve seen, instantly. Hopefully this money goes to paying employees who care.

sad thing is lake Powell does the worst job at ANS anywhere I go, you have an infested lake but as a Colorado resident if I ask for a decon they refuse to do it, Why? Get off the lake late and they are all closed up, no inspections. IMHO any boat leaving lake Powell should have mandatory decon no exceptions. Colorado should have decon at port of entry like Wyo does. just my thought, this decal does not fix anything when the system is broke,,,,,,,

Has anyone else taken that stupid test yet? Utah just turned every boat other than a kayak and a john boat into a complex boat with a 30 day minimum dry time regardless of season. So, now any boat with a bilge pump, live well, or holding tanks is a complex boat. I can only imagine the decon lines at Powell here soon. Why do we need to take something that is simple and add multiple levels of stupidity to it.

Last edited:
This is so wrong for many reasons.
1. The mussels are already in the Utah portion of the lake. How does this help that situation?
2. They are sending out the notice on the day it becomes law? So everyone that launches on July 1 has to take the course, get the sticker and put it on their boat this morning before they launch? Another case of "you should have known the law"?
3. What about multi-owner houseboats? Does each owner have to fulfill the requirements before their launch or does the sticker, once attained, cover all subsequent owner launchings? How is that fair to single owner boats and the first person to launch on a multi-owner boat. Does the law apply to rental boats? Do renters have to take the course before launching?
4. With regard to decontamination, we have anywhere from 4 to 10 kayaks on our houseboat when we head out. Do each of those kayaks have to undergo inspection(on the upper deck) when we return?

Pleased tell me that I'm all wet(there's one for Rainbowbridge) and have misinterpreted this statute otherwise I am going to have a bad day🤬🤬🤬
From
What I read for UTAH residents , If you have registered your boat in Utah already, you paid in your registration and will not get a sticker for this year You are good for this year. Next year rule will apply and for those registering later this year.
I think this is accurate?
I agree canoes and Kayaks should have to pay, when I go to Wy I have to pay for my motor boat and Kayaks. They inspect them when you bring them in as well.

Wyoming has a fee but not a test. I don’t like the fee but I hate the test as it’s written for Utah residents.

The only lake in Utah I use is Powell. I could not care less what Utah thinks the drying time is for a boat to go from Strawberry to Sand Hollow. And honestly I just ignore all the Utah (and Wyoming and Nebraska) rules anyway became there is no way for me to launch in Colorado without a Colorado decontamination and seal.
Part of what I do for a living is write tests and how they’re tied to adult learning. I won’t going into the actual science of it all, but it’s pretty detailed. Per you comment though, the Utah AIS test is absolutely awful and not defensible. I also had to argue with the Deer Creek Reservoir AIS staff and officer about them being wrong regarding dry time because what was on the test and what they were trying to enforce were wrong. The officer even called the State AIS coordinator only to be told I was correct.

Once of these days, they’ll get it ironed out. As per the fee, when looking at the big picture it’s the idiot who transferred the quagga, in the first place, that we should be mad at.

Which every time I mention, at a utah boat ramp, that “I have the copy in the boat as well” I’m told “you don’t need one on your boat, just the dash”. I just say okay and move on.
Or they just tell you to fill out the card they have at their station and stick it in your window. Ive tried presenting mine several times and never have they wanted to see it....

Once of these days, they’ll get it ironed out. As per the fee, when looking at the big picture it’s the idiot who transferred the quagga, in the first place, that we should be mad at.
It might not have been an idiot, by the time whom ever is over this stuff, figuring out what is in these lakes, and the way things move at Turtle speed. The mussels had all ready been transported into Powell, and the IDIOT to which you refer, probably never knew it. And low and behold, now there really concerned and trying to do something about it, after how many years, 6, 7, 8?
I'm curious as to why it took years to come up with a fee to try and fix it? That turtle speed again?
And I have never been ask for my mussel test certificate ever, but its on my phone.
Its kinda like the trash, some people care, and a bunch don't give a S...

I have spent a good half hour of time this morning on the Utah Ais std of the sea page and it makes things as clear as MUD !! It’s so hard to find just the basic info and rules !! How about a simple tab for the basic effective rules for Res and Non res. As it is you have to jump around and even when you find the applicable info it is not very clear or concise or easy to locate.
The part about drying times, is a mess
It says always 30 days for boats with raw water systems like ballast tanks, inboard, A/C , shower
And then says for boats with the “above” 30 days always!
Makes no mention of live wells?
Is a livewell included in the above ??
No but it is raw water system??
A bilge pump I assume is a raw water system , but it’s not listed in the above, so would a spray down system that some boats have? Not listed either!
Why not spell it out clearly!!
If their own staff don’t know rules which many don’t, how do they expect us too?
I Mentioned this on an earlier post, we were sent home from Willard Bay in Utah after driving up to fish , the boat was past the required dry time but employee didn’t know and told us the wrong info, he called “supervisor” to Ask after we said that was not correct and he was told the wrong info
then as well so we could not launch??
The boat had been In Willard a couple days before with proper dry time from Powell, no staff that day?
We were correct and proper safe. But turned away. RRRGGHHH !

I have spent a good half hour of time this morning on the Utah Ais std of the sea page and it makes things as clear as MUD !! It’s so hard to find just the basic info and rules !! How about a simple tab for the basic effective rules for Res and Non res. As it is you have to jump around and even when you find the applicable info it is not very clear or concise or easy to locate.
The part about drying times, is a mess
It says always 30 days for boats with raw water systems like ballast tanks, inboard, A/C , shower
And then says for boats with the “above” 30 days always!
Makes no mention of live wells?
Is a livewell included in the above ??
No but it is raw water system??
A bilge pump I assume is a raw water system , but it’s not listed in the above, so would a spray down system that some boats have? Not listed either!
Why not spell it out clearly!!
If their own staff don’t know rules which many don’t, how do they expect us too?
I Mentioned this on an earlier post, we were sent home from Willard Bay in Utah after driving up to fish , the boat was past the required dry time but employee didn’t know and told us the wrong info, he called “supervisor” to Ask after we said that was not correct and he was told the wrong info
then as well so we could not launch??
The boat had been In Willard a couple days before with proper dry time from Powell, no staff that day?
We were correct and proper safe. But turned away. RRRGGHHH !
Even with dry time being past the time, over here at Huntington North res, they still went over my boat for 15 minutes, which I have no problem with. BUT why is there a dry time to begin with if it don't matter any way.

FYI -I called Utah division of wildlife, and they did confirm that if you had completed the AIS course and registered your boat prior to July 1 you are grandfathered in. You will not receive a sticker this year, but your registration is good..

I did suggest that they update the FAQ on their website so that it’s not just my say so here on Wayneswords that you’re going with

It might not have been an idiot, by the time whom ever is over this stuff, figuring out what is in these lakes, and the way things move at Turtle speed. The mussels had all ready been transported into Powell, and the IDIOT to which you refer, probably never knew it. And low and behold, now there really concerned and trying to do something about it, after how many years, 6, 7, 8?
I'm curious as to why it took years to come up with a fee to try and fix it? That turtle speed again?
And I have never been ask for my mussel test certificate ever, but its on my phone.
Its kinda like the trash, some people care, and a bunch don't give a S...
I agree, but my understanding is the quagga was already discovered in Lake Mead and they were not doing much about it yet. I suppose, in the grand scheme of things, we’re at where we’re at and I personally don’t want them in any lake in whatever state you choose. It’s invasive for a reason.

I wish there wasn’t a fee, but they are finally starting to figure things out. I am member of the Pelican Lake management committee and have first hand knowledge of the snails pace. It’s truly frustrating to watch, but given my interaction with biologists and coordinators, they are trying and working hard for solutions to keep costs down. There is high demand for Decon stations everywhere and that takes money and that when things get bogged down.

I am asked for my certificate every time I launch. Just not Powell because they are already in there.

Happy boating and fishing!

Last edited:
FYI -I called Utah division of wildlife, and they did confirm that if you had completed the AIS course and registered your boat prior to July 1 you are grandfathered in. You will not receive a sticker this year, but your registration is good..

I did suggest that they update the FAQ on their website so that it’s not just my say so here on Wayneswords that you’re going with
It is on The site I saw it this morning but it’s not easy to find, it does say if you registered before July 1 you have paid and will not need a sticker, but if you register after July 2 you will pay and have 2 stickers a registration and AIS.

Hi all, non-Utah resident boating at Powell. I have read through the posts regarding this new sticker. Am I going to be turned away from the launch (Wahweap) if I don't have it? The requirement isn't very well publicized.

Edit: I just read through "std of the sea" web page. Still not sure what to expect at the launch ramp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back