Bullfrog North (Executive) Ramp

nzaugg

Well-Known Member
USBR projections from this month have the lake still somewhere around 3,525 in a holding pattern in mid-September in the most probable/worst case scenario. Based on today's elevation, which is in line with what they are showing here, they have a plan to maintain the launch ramp through the end of October. I am guessing they will curtail withdrawals once the lake hits 3,525 through October in order to manage power demand requirements, with the lake bottoming out at 3,500-3,505 in March/April. I have not seen the maximum probable scenario invert below the minimum probable inflow though, so something odd is going on. Expect to keep boating through the end of October though.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 4.47.27 PM.png
 

Richard

Well-Known Member
Anyone have thoughts on when the ramp with not be feasible for HB removal ? I know the May number was 3529 ..
 

drewsxmi

Escalante-Class Member
Anyone have thoughts on when the ramp with not be feasible for HB removal ? I know the May number was 3529 ..
Right now the water level is dropping about 1 foot every five days, and there is about 7 feet of margin, making for 35 days. That puts you approximately at the end of August. If you need to get your houseboat out, you should be watching the water level every day, and probably not counting on Labor Day Weekend.
 

Richard

Well-Known Member
I normally remove the HB every year since the mussel invasion -- Aramark cut a deal on the buoy last winter so I left the HB in thinking I could get in the water in March in the fishing boat -- That didn't go according to plan with the ramps not opening until Mid- May -- so this year it looks like my season will be cut short -

Thanks for your input drewwsxmi I knew it was going to be a short season -- Can't leave the HB in for two years in a row
 

Momma Bear 2000

Active Member
We were told (again this week by offshore) small craft can go down to 3525 while last call for larger boats, including houseboats, is 3529 for the Bullfrog north ramp by executive services / rental slips.

We are pulling out for the last time on August 7th and bringing our 25’ boat to the other side of the continental divide for 2023 with the thought of waiting to see what the next two winters bring. We’ve been solely at Powell for many years and this last trip is definitely going to be bittersweet 😢
 
Last edited:

Kevin G

Well-Known Member
USBR projections from this month have the lake still somewhere around 3,525 in a holding pattern in mid-September in the most probable/worst case scenario. Based on today's elevation, which is in line with what they are showing here, they have a plan to maintain the launch ramp through the end of October. I am guessing they will curtail withdrawals once the lake hits 3,525 through October in order to manage power demand requirements, with the lake bottoming out at 3,500-3,505 in March/April. I have not seen the maximum probable scenario invert below the minimum probable inflow though, so something odd is going on. Expect to keep boating through the end of October though.

View attachment 19185
3500-3505 - does not sound good for marina operations at Bullfrog. 20 feet lower than last year. Hope they are making plans for deeper water.
 

Richard

Well-Known Member
I just confirmed with Offshore (North Lake) that for HB retrieval the magic number -- at this point in time --- is still 3529 (same as when the NPS allowed L&R of houseboats in May).

Offshore is planning on retrieving up until that level --- I guess I will have to make a decision pretty quickly

Based on the weekly decrease in the lake -- that puts the retrieval right around the end of August / very early September to have the HB removed

Anyone want to venture a bet when a HB will be able to launch in 2023 from Bullfrog? ( I know it depends on snow-pack and whole bunch of other variables )

I just hope to get in next year though it could be ugly
 

Kevin G

Well-Known Member
I just confirmed with Offshore (North Lake) that for HB retrieval the magic number -- at this point in time --- is still 3529 (same as when the NPS allowed L&R of houseboats in May).

Offshore is planning on retrieving up until that level --- I guess I will have to make a decision pretty quickly

Based on the weekly decrease in the lake -- that puts the retrieval right around the end of August / very early September to have the HB removed

Anyone want to venture a bet when a HB will be able to launch in 2023 from Bullfrog? ( I know it depends on snow-pack and whole bunch of other variables )

I just hope to get in next year though it could be ugly
Good question about launching next year.

Hard question: do you risk leaving it in the water (hope you don't have a mechanical/floatation issue or massive mussel accumulation) or take it out (hope the lake levels at Bullfrog will come up enough that you will be able to go back in the water next season)?
 

Richard

Well-Known Member
Well -- I hedged my bet last year and for the first time in 10 years left the HB in the water last winter thinking I could get to it in March -- You all know how that worked out -- So two years -- yikes -- and it could be June before we can launch a small boat off a ramp -- What a freaking mess

Thanks for every one's input
 
Top