Bullfrog North (Executive) Ramp

Piece-O-Crappie

It has been a while since I have been on, so apologies if there is a post somewhere in here already addressing/answering this topic and question. I noticed on the NPS ramp condition link that there is planned construction to extend the executive (Bullfrog North) ramp with a completion date of April 2022. Does anyone know if this has even started? Any pictures? Our annual trip in normally the first week of May, but this would be hampered if there is no way to launch. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

P-O-C

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
No mention of any action being taken to get a functioning launch at Bullfrog in the weekly low water update from the NPS...🦗🦗🦗🦗

Dave I.

Escalante-Class Member
I'll be able to see first hand tomorrow (2/3) if anything is going on anywhere down the ramp at Bullfrog. Haven't seen any supplies go by so I'm not holding my breath. Hoping I'll be surprised and can report some good news.

DK304

It has been a while since I have been on, so apologies if there is a post somewhere in here already addressing/answering this topic and question. I noticed on the NPS ramp condition link that there is planned construction to extend the executive (Bullfrog North) ramp with a completion date of April 2022. Does anyone know if this has even started? Any pictures? Our annual trip in normally the first week of May, but this would be hampered if there is no way to launch. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

P-O-C
I'm the same situation as you man. Only I made the mistake of booking a house boat as well. Hoping for good news/hell of an early run off.

Pacific Coast Mike

Looks like the Snow data has flatlined for the last 30 days not so good , Hope we get a shock to the system and jump start the snow pack more ....
It is 07:38:41 am MST at Lake Powell, Utah on Friday, February 4th, 2022.Today is day 127 of 365 for the Water Year 2022. We are 35% through the Water Year.
Snowpack is 100.88% of the February 4th average.
Apr 6 is the date of max snowpack and basinwide snowpack is currently 62.26% of the Apr 6 average

Kevin G

I feel like there is a gradual agenda to have the North Lake disappear, similar to how the "real" north lake (Hite) has now disappeared entirely. Not being a pessimist, I think recreational priorities changed. Many would rather see a free-flowing river rather than Lake Powell (I am not among them). In a way I wish they would just announce this will be the new normal, find a sustainable long-term lake elevation without 50-100ft swings on an annual basis - balance out the water along the whole Colorado River storage system. Having some certainty would allow businesses to build new facilities closer to the long term shoreline at Lake Powell, build good ramps once and for all - not have businesses afraid to spend any meaningful dollars in infrastructure because of drastically changing lake levels. The state of Utah should bring electricity/power lines into Bullfrog if they want that to be any kind of meaningful economic generator for them (kind of hard to believe that in 2022 we are talking about a town that does not have electricity from the grid). Yes, this would mean some of our favorite places on the lake may not be accessed by water again, but it might help preserve Lake Powell for the long term.

Dungee

Escalante-Class Member
I feel like there is a gradual agenda to have the North Lake disappear, similar to how the "real" north lake (Hite) has now disappeared entirely. Not being a pessimist, I think recreational priorities changed. Many would rather see a free-flowing river rather than Lake Powell (I am not among them). In a way I wish they would just announce this will be the new normal, find a sustainable long-term lake elevation without 50-100ft swings on an annual basis - balance out the water along the whole Colorado River storage system. Having some certainty would allow businesses to build new facilities closer to the long term shoreline at Lake Powell, build good ramps once and for all - not have businesses afraid to spend any meaningful dollars in infrastructure because of drastically changing lake levels. The state of Utah should bring electricity/power lines into Bullfrog if they want that to be any kind of meaningful economic generator for them (kind of hard to believe that in 2022 we are talking about a town that does not have electricity from the grid). Yes, this would mean some of our favorite places on the lake may not be accessed by water again, but it might help preserve Lake Powell for the long term.

MOST everything in life comes down to money. Losing Hite wasn't that big of a blow, losing Bullfrog would be a different story. Still way too much money to be made at that location.

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
The main purpose and justification of Lake Powell is to capture and balance the huge variation in the discharge of the Colorado River from year to year. So keeping it at a stable water level would defeat the purpose. Simply keeping access to Bullfrog or Halls at all water levels is a much easier solution!

POk3s

I think there’s people rooting for the lake to return to a “river”, along with Mead. A hidden agenda, I’m not sure as at least some of these same people are smart enough to realize fresh water is a necessity, Now, if we start getting fresh water from the ocean, you’ll see that agenda not be so hidden.

DisToy

I find my memory has some gaps as I age. This is my recollection of the South end last year. There was lots of speculation regarding ramp construction at Wahweap, but not much in the way of formal announcements. The lack of communication left many families utilizing launch/retrieve houseboat services based in Page out of luck when houseboats could no longer use the Wahweap ramp.

A similar situation occurred for the Dry Storage houseboats at Antelope Point. Due to uncertainty of being able to pull houseboats at the end of the season, many AP houseboats stored on the hill in the off season were pulled in late July/early August. I myself found out the day prior to departing for Lake Powell AP was scheduled to pull the H.B. we were going out on.

Ultimately, construction started on the legacy (Gustaveson) ramp and the South end remained serviceable later in the season.

Superintendent Bill Shott has stated in podcasts keeping access at the North and South ends of the Lake is a priority for the NPS. Funding, permitting, and bidding for government projects laborious. The process is cumbersome, and possibly difficult to create a timeline.

I guess I’m naïve, yet the process worked at the South end. Certainly, more communication of the plan and timeline on Wahweap ramp construction would have been better. The same is now true for the plans at Bullfrog.

Dave I.

Escalante-Class Member
Ok, I'm a day late but just got back from Bullfrog today. The spur ramp is done for now.
You drive down past the steel plates and you see where someone tried to launch. The ruts are about 8" deep. On the other side of the peninsula, there is nothing but wet, grey muck.

Didn't see any activity on any ramps. There is a Dozer sitting idle at the North ramp and a loader doing the same at the spur ramp. spur 1.jpgspur 2.jpgSpur 3.jpgSpur 4.jpg

Dave I.

Escalante-Class Member
I haven't figured out how to get my phone to take better (not so pixeled) pictures. I'm sure it's a setting of some sorts. If it had points, I could adjust it right. haha

Yes, it is pretty sad at the North ramps right now and I'm not seeing any activity at all