Wake Boat Rant....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepVee

I just don't understand why a sport that likes big waves has to come in the back coves where there are no waves only to create waves. Why don't they just wave surf out in the rough channel? Seems like it would be better for all.

PowellBride

I just don't understand why a sport that likes big waves has to come in the back coves where there are no waves only to create waves. Why don't they just wave surf out in the rough channel? Seems like it would be better for all.
That is the great riddle - if you want waves, why search out glass and then make waves. I get not wanting to directly in main traffic when it's busy, but the back of a canyon makes no sense to me either. I actually like watching some of the tricks and stuff, just not when it is causing peril to my person or my boat.

nzaugg

I agree with this sentiment, except that it is easier on the boat and the surfer to be in smoother water. It doesn't need to be super smooth, but some days in the channel it is challenging and results in a lot of spray hitting everybody and a difficult wave to surf. It's always possible to find a spot better than a cove or narrow canyon where people are parked to surf though. Or alternately, they can do what most people do when the channel is too rough to surf... dump the ballast and get back to a safe spot.

cfulton

I remember seeing one boat between Wahweap and Dangling. Only Dangling customer by 1pm that day. Did not see a boat, a camp or houseboat from Dangling to the green water in the back of the San Juan. Fished for three days and saw NO ONE...caught lots of stripers too. First boat, one, in 3 days was enroute back to the ramp at Wahweap. Oh, forgot to mention it was the third week of October. Chuck

bw56

I fully agree with the comments about large wakes. What i don't want to see is a 5 mph sign in front of all the canyons that we camp in.
Can you imagine a 5 mph in front of Last Chance. How long would it take to get to the back?
Why don't we give the wake board boats the north end of the lake? :)That is a joke.

Hillbilly

I have thought about buying and anchoring my own no wake buoy behind the houseboat precisely because of surf boats. Our first trip after we bought into our houseboat group we had a boat pass by within 100 ft all day long throwing up a massive surf wave. We shouted at them and tried to get them to stop, but they just wouldn't. Eventually they started to hit the other side of the canyon and not the side we were anchored on, but it really left us rocking all week. They easily could have surfed the channel without issues, but they were circulating in and out of the canyon to pick up new riders.

However, the only damage I have had was due to a cruiser. He came out of Smith Fork Canyon and crossed over to Forgotten. Since he was approaching from port as I was making my way up to Cedar, I couldn't see him come out of the canyon due to his approach out of the blind spot. He sped up so he could pass in front of me quickly instead of waiting for me to pass or going behind me. He passed about 75 feet in front of my bow. With his side approach and curve to pass, he caused a major lateral roll on our 65' houseboat. All the cupboards opened, the watermelon rolled off the counter and a chair tipped over and broke a window.

I agree that it is more about boater awareness than the type of boat specifically, though I have yet to have any problem with a fishing boat other than they were parked someplace that I was hoping to get to first!
A vessel approaching from your port side should give way- you have the right of way. Doesn't do any good if no one knows or cares about rules.

Lake Bum

Laws that aren't enforced is the true problem here. I would agree, that Wakeboard boats cause MUCH bigger waves, but they aren't the only offenders, but because of the majority of younger operators, common sense, and morals are lacking. Start taking down hull numbers, and report them.
I've been camped in narrow canyons, and had Wakeboard boats idle past me, then pull a boarder RIGHT past the boat, within 50' of me.....completely slamming my boat onto the shore. Can't ignore a pattern, when it becomes just that....a pattern.

Meatwagon

Sometimes you have to demand that something be done, not just call and report. As a community of boaters,we need to put pressure and demands on the NPS, sheriffs office or whoever is supposed to be policing our waters and DEMAND that they enforce the rules not just for dui offense but for all the other unsafe violations taking place. Demanding that boater safety licenses be required before taking the helm of a vessel. These offenders only continue to do these things because they either don't know or care about safe boating practices and rules.

powellobsessed

Sometimes you have to demand that something be done, not just call and report. As a community of boaters,we need to put pressure and demands on the NPS, sheriffs office or whoever is supposed to be policing our waters and DEMAND that they enforce the rules not just for dui offense but for all the other unsafe violations taking place. Demanding that boater safety licenses be required before taking the helm of a vessel. These offenders only continue to do these things because they either don't know or care about safe boating practices and rules.
I agree 100%

powellobsessed

X
I fully agree with the comments about large wakes. What i don't want to see is a 5 mph sign in front of all the canyons that we camp in.
Can you imagine a 5 mph in front of Last Chance. How long would it take to get to the back?
Why don't we give the wake board boats the north end of the lake? :)That is a joke.
so I believe last year there was a wakeless speed bouy in the entrance of lost eden canyon which has a good size overhang to chill when it’s hot. Very popular spot by hall creek. I believe it was put there because of paddle board
there is one at the entrance of lost eden canyon by halls creek. It’s a wakeless canyon and it SUCKS !! I’m no speed demon but it takes 15 minutes to get to the overhang that’s there.

Dorado

I love these conversations. Especially when led by owners of cruisers.

I’ll agree that many wakeboat owners are inconsiderate with their music and their wakes.

But when someone with a 10,000 + pound cruiser starts to complain about the wake of a 6000 pound wake boat what can you do but laugh?

Our most recent trip back from mid lake, pulling two boats with the houseboat, not once did I have trouble with a wakeboat. But three times i had to slow the houseboat to idle, and still have wakes come over the bows of our towed boats, caused by inconsiderate cruiser boat owners.

So if we’re going to complain about wakes, let’s make sure we realize that it’s the boat owners that are the problem, not the boat itself.

And wether it’s a wakeboat or a cruiser, people need to be cognizant of what they are doing and responsible for any damage that is caused.
But you have to admit, cruisers only make that wake once, while they are cruising somewhere. Wake boats do it over, and over and over, often in the same place....

Status
Not open for further replies.