Wake Boat Rant....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peto

We typically avoid the lake during the summer months due to the crowds and the idiots but made a trip up last week to meet up with some friends that were coming to the lake for the first time and asked me to show them around. So we launch both cruisers, run up lake to Last Chance and find a nice beach to call home for the night. We get anchored up and break out the grills to enjoy some happy hour treats and a couple drinks thinking we had found a nice quiet cove to relax and enjoy the peace and views but we were WRONG....

Around the corner comes a wake boat with the stereo blaring and they proceeded to run laps in the cove for over and hour rocking our cruisers with their wake to the point food and drinks were falling of the tables if not held on too... It was NOT the experience I wanted to show new lake visitors.

We tried to get their attention but they just ignored us.

The idiots have to realize the wakes are destructive / annoyance since they don't surf in the cove they camp in.

Anyone else annoyed by this activity??

This is the primary reason we go to the lake in the Fall and Spring. This is a reoccurring event and becoming more common each trip.

Dungee Fishing

The number of moronic and similar events is too long to write. There are so many recreational boats/vessels now (Ryan will disagree with me on that) that the number of incidents like yours will increase just based on sheer volume. For instance, last week at Strawberry Reservoir I counted more recreational boats in one day than I’d seen in my life previously. When there are multiple wake surfers and skiers at Strawberry trying to avoid their own at other lower reservoirs you know the crowds are getting out of hand. But, like most things in life I don’t think it’s necessarily indicative of all recreational boaters like some may think. We’ve had lots of run ins and uncommon courtesy with fishing boats too. Stupid, selfish, or just straight up unaware people are everywhere in all walks of life.

John P Funk

Anyone else annoyed by this activity??
Is anyone "not" annoyed by this activity. It seems to me that there is a certain attitude among a significant number of wakeboaters that it isn't fun to do their activity if no one is watching/hearing. They have spent thousands upon thousands and demand to be seen and heard from miles away. We too have a cruiser and make it a point to travel many miles more than should be necessary to get some piece and quiet, we launch from Halls and never camp south of Knowles Canyon or north of Lake Canyon. Everyone enjoys the lake in their own way, but some don't seem to care about others.

Peto

I'm typically not the revenge type of guy but once I was soo pissed off at a group that the next day when we pulled anchor to head home I purposely cruised by their camp site and made 3-4 passed with the bow trimmed up and throwing the largest wake I could create.... I really doubt I got my point across but it made me feel better...

Dungee Fishing

It seems to me that there is a certain attitude among a significant number of wakeboaters that it isn't fun to do their activity if no one is watching/hearing.
LOL this comment is so amazing. Always get a chuckle out of hearing all the “WAHOOOOOS!, YEAAAAAHHHH!’s (of course yelled over the latest and greatest blasted Taylor Swift or Imagine Dragons song).” Such a good comment, still chuckling Funk. Enough of those and maybe, just maybe they can convince themselves that their 120k boat was worth it.

Ryan

I love these conversations. Especially when led by owners of cruisers.

I’ll agree that many wakeboat owners are inconsiderate with their music and their wakes.

But when someone with a 10,000 + pound cruiser starts to complain about the wake of a 6000 pound wake boat what can you do but laugh?

Our most recent trip back from mid lake, pulling two boats with the houseboat, not once did I have trouble with a wakeboat. But three times i had to slow the houseboat to idle, and still have wakes come over the bows of our towed boats, caused by inconsiderate cruiser boat owners.

So if we’re going to complain about wakes, let’s make sure we realize that it’s the boat owners that are the problem, not the boat itself.

And wether it’s a wakeboat or a cruiser, people need to be cognizant of what they are doing and responsible for any damage that is caused.

KYKevin

My last trip the only boat with in mile's, came over and threw a wake on me that was huge. I was a little nervous when I turned and saw the size of that wave. But I would like to think that they were just not thinking, instead of an intention to in danger some one. But it was a big wide area in which they could have gone around my boat.

With all the bad thing's you read all the time, it don't pay to get raged or try to get revenge on any one. It just lead's to bad ending's most of the time.
It's smarter just to keep fishing or doing what you were doing. And go home safe and feeling like you were the smarter one that day :)

Mrs. BigDogGuy

We camped Last Chance in August 10-15 years ago, I think that was our last summer trip, and were awakened pre-dawn, each morning to water skiiers on the gorgeous glass water, that was manageable, but the daily dose of Journey! I did stop believin' and the kids still laugh about it and put Journey songs on Dad's playlist, to this day.

I guess if you are up early, everyone else should be up early too.

Bullfrog07

We camped Last Chance in August 10-15 years ago, I think that was our last summer trip, and were awakened pre-dawn, each morning to water skiiers on the gorgeous glass water, that was manageable, but the daily dose of Journey! I did stop believin' and the kids still laugh about it and put Journey songs on Dad's playlist, to this day.

I guess if you are up early, everyone else should be up early too.
There's nothing like being on the lake in one of your favorite camp spots at dusk, dinner-drinks, then here comes some idiot still looking for a camp spot late in the evening and camps around the corner, in the weeds and on a rocky beach, then proceeds to blare Huey Lewis and the News for the whole canyon to hear.

Hillbilly

Last year a wakeboard boat's wake knocked my dog out of the boat and added 6 inches of water in my boat. I pay much closer attention to them now.

John P Funk

I agree both cruiser captains and wakeboat captains are responsible for the consequences of their wakes. It may be a distinction without a difference, but a wakeboats purpose is to create large wakes, while a cruiser creates a large wake secondarily. As I stated before, wakeboats are intended to be noticed, hence flashy colors and "loud as a concert" stereo's. What color are most cruisers? White. I don't mean to paint with a broad brush and as with everything there is the 80/20 rule 80% are decent people and 20% just don't care. It just seems that wakeboaters are trying to change my mind about the decency of humanity.

Peto

A cruiser will only rock your boat once. Wakeboats rock you for hours on end and refuse to find another cove when asked (or go to the cove they are camped in)...

I agree with Wayne. Fall is the best time on the lake. Temps come down and the wakeboats go home. Like I said in my OP, we only ventured to the lake to show some friends around.

Ryan

I agree both cruiser captains and wakeboat captains are responsible for the consequences of their wakes. It may be a distinction without a difference, but a wakeboats purpose is to create large wakes, while a cruiser creates a large wake secondarily. As I stated before, wakeboats are intended to be noticed, hence flashy colors and "loud as a concert" stereo's. What color are most cruisers? White. I don't mean to paint with a broad brush and as with everything there is the 80/20 rule 80% are decent people and 20% just don't care. It just seems that wakeboaters are trying to change my mind about the decency of humanity.
Yep. A wakeboat purpose is to create a large wake, while a cruisers large wake is secondary. Yet a wakeboat can dump ballast, pull up a wedge, and no longer create a large wake. Pretty easy to argue that the wakeboat is significantly superior in that regard.

And, especially today, I would think people would understand that all colors matter. Bright or dark. In all seriousness, what difference does it make if a boat is bright and sparkly (like most fishing boats today), or just plain old white?

I know I'm in the minority here on this. But I also know if you look at posts across this board, everyone has a problem with something. Flashy boats. Big wakes (regardless of how they are created, but not always). Going too fast. Going too slow. Up too early. Up too late. Music too loud. Camping too close. Generators on too long. Dogs off leash. Exhaust too loud. Fireworks. Swimming near the docks. Too much drinking. Too little enforcement. NPS too over bearing. The list goes on.

If you want to visit the lake during prime season, you will likely see just about EVERYTHING I mentioned above, and more. Your realistic choices are to change the time of year you go to the lake (and don't listen to Wayne. October is AWFUL). Or go further away from the marinas.

Two other options are, to quote Taylor Swift for Preston, "you need to calm down". Or you can complain about it on a very small (in the grand scheme of things) message board.

I'm headed to the lake (unfortunately not Powell). Hope everyone has a good weekend.

PowellBride

I've thought about this a lot lately as I've nearly gotten knocked into the water while fishing or I'm suddenly trying to keep the boat from bashing into rocks while shore fishing. I respect that the lake belongs to everyone and different strokes for different folks. What annoys me is when I'm all but bashed into the rocks by a wake from a boat that could easily have gone wide by another 1000 feet or more. Though even an extra 1000 feet wouldn't help with some boat wakes.

I've tried to puzzle out the root cause of the issue to see if there is a logical solution that would allow everyone to enjoy their flavor of boat. IMHO here's the root causes, that if we could address, might improve the situation:

1) There is no training requirement to drive a boat. While there are boating laws regarding safe boating, wakeless speed in certain areas and within distance of non-moving vessels, skiers, etc - no one has to demonstrate knowledge of those rules before driving a boat. Not a big government fan, but starting to think we need a boat license similar to a drivers license. It feels like half the boaters out there think the only wakeless requirement is when there is a slow wake buoy posted. No consideration or knowledge of the other conditions for which it applies.

2) Wakeless rules need to be updated. The "one-size fits all" nature of the rule no longer works. 150' wakeless isn't enough distance for the tour boats, large cruisers or wake boats that have full bladders and are purposely creating the largest wake possible. The standard needs to be modified
in some way that accounts for the fact that a 21' outboard fishing boat, a 21' wake boat and a 40' cruiser do not create the same wake. Just not sure what measurement should apply. Type of hull, type of engine....?

Ultimately it's all about respect for others, an educated and thoughtful driver regardless of boat and wake size will always be the final determining factor. Unfortunately we can't always count on basic human decency.

Mrs. BigDogGuy

I will be sorry for saying this - Lake Powell in October is AMAZING!
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We usually head down mid-September, and if you camp, you can noticeably feel the decline in number of guests each week. A last two weeks of September camp out in Last Chance might have a houseboat, just down the way, on each side, plus the bonus of fireworks from each side (just what dogs love & often leaving trash behind) Whereas 2-3 weeks later, we might only see one or two fisherfolk head to the back of our arm.

John P Funk

Wakeless rules need to be updated
Rules don't do any good if they're not enforced. There are already plenty of laws on the books, and too few offenders are written tickets or otherwise held accountable for their actions. As individuals if our equipment is damaged as a result of a careless boater(regardless of what they're captaining), we must hold them accountable by getting their information and filing a report with NPS and filing an insurance claim. It doesn't have to be a heated exchange, just get the registration number for the report. I too am convinced that it is mostly ignorance/negligence rather than malice, but education will cure ignorance(not sure how to make someone care as empathy has gone the way of common sense, and there's not much that will help malice unfortunately).

nzaugg

1) There is no training requirement to drive a boat. While there are boating laws regarding safe boating, wakeless speed in certain areas and within distance of non-moving vessels, skiers, etc - no one has to demonstrate knowledge of those rules before driving a boat. Not a big government fan, but starting to think we need a boat license similar to a drivers license. It feels like half the boaters out there think the only wakeless requirement is when there is a slow wake buoy posted. No consideration or knowledge of the other conditions for which it applies.
I have thought about buying and anchoring my own no wake buoy behind the houseboat precisely because of surf boats. Our first trip after we bought into our houseboat group we had a boat pass by within 100 ft all day long throwing up a massive surf wave. We shouted at them and tried to get them to stop, but they just wouldn't. Eventually they started to hit the other side of the canyon and not the side we were anchored on, but it really left us rocking all week. They easily could have surfed the channel without issues, but they were circulating in and out of the canyon to pick up new riders.

However, the only damage I have had was due to a cruiser. He came out of Smith Fork Canyon and crossed over to Forgotten. Since he was approaching from port as I was making my way up to Cedar, I couldn't see him come out of the canyon due to his approach out of the blind spot. He sped up so he could pass in front of me quickly instead of waiting for me to pass or going behind me. He passed about 75 feet in front of my bow. With his side approach and curve to pass, he caused a major lateral roll on our 65' houseboat. All the cupboards opened, the watermelon rolled off the counter and a chair tipped over and broke a window.

I agree that it is more about boater awareness than the type of boat specifically, though I have yet to have any problem with a fishing boat other than they were parked someplace that I was hoping to get to first!

Status
Not open for further replies.