The arrogance....

We were in a boil a couple of years ago below the restroom at GH, a Colorado boat pulled up and asked if we cared if they joined us, the action was as fast as I’ve ever had, we got tired of spooning fish that day! We invited them in and had a great time visiting with those guys! Come to find out they had been hitting those same fish for a couple of weekends and were surprised when they got there that we were on them. Sometimes it can be a good experience. The one @Maverick5207 had was not good IMHO. I would have felt the same way, at least talk to me if your going to crowd me!

I don't understand the extremes people take fishing too... Don't fish swim? Or do they stay under just one boat in a cove. Why is someone else fishing in the same area such a big deal?
So, anybody can go haul a-- through the cut, that's OK
Anybody can come right up next to somebody fishing and fish in their lap, that's OK,
But a wakeboat can't come up and spoil Philbo's day a recreation,
that's not ok,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ok gotcha!!!!

We were in a boil a couple of years ago below the restroom at GH, a Colorado boat pulled up and asked if we cared if they joined us, the action was as fast as I’ve ever had, we got tired of spooning fish that day! We invited them in and had a great time visiting with those guys! Come to find out they had been hitting those same fish for a couple of weekends and were surprised when they got there that we were on them. Sometimes it can be a good experience. The one @Maverick5207 had was not good IMHO. I would have felt the same way, at least talk to me if your going to crowd me!
Yeah buddy, sometimes it helps to have a few boats in boils, surround and direct them, gently. And if the guys coming in don’t understand how to play I’ll smile and leave. Where there’s one boil there’s more. The only thing I do is throw either a lure or fly out to my distance as they are coming in so they can see how close I don’t want them. If I am throwing that distance cast with my fly and they are still coming into it…well…that’s on them and I usually go for the chest lol. Sometimes it’s just better to leave and continue on with a peaceful day.

Two storys

One was this spring trolling the island across from Moki. We had just hooked up with a double as a boat came cruising by on the outside. They noticed us catching fish and came off plane and sat outside watching. As we took care of the fish and were making another pass the boat comes trolling behind our lines.... ok thats fine whatever Ive made this work in the past. As we go over the school we hook up again and keep motoring along to stay out of his way so he could pass through the school as well....... As they get to the school he comes to a full stop and deploys spot lock and sits over them! Completely blocking the spot for me to troll. Couldnt believe it... I didnt even bother saying something and just moved on to another spot.

Second story is another reservoir. There used to be a prominent guide who had a boat very similar to mine. Every time I would go trolling for Kokanee salmon i would have boats come flying around me to start trolling in front of me. Or they would come up on my tail tight and follow me the entire time. One day i was jigging by myself as i didnt have spot lock. Before i knew it I was surrounded by 20 boats. When the wind picked up it was fun watching them all get out of my way.

I have met some very nice people, inviting (and being invited) to fish with them over a wolfpack.

It helps to keep the school active and keep them in the area

So, anybody can go haul a-- through the cut, that's OK
Anybody can come right up next to somebody fishing and fish in their lap, that's OK,
But a wakeboat can't come up and spoil Philbo's day a recreation,
that's not ok,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ok gotcha!!!!
You feel better now?

I guess I'm just ok with other people fishing in close proximity to me. Primarily trolling for crappie the past 25yrs or so it's very common to have a flotilla around you in the winter and spring when the fish are schooled up. Also on most of our local lakes it's pretty common to have 6 or more boats in a cove bass fishing on a weekend.

If I'm going down a shoreline and someone else drops in front of me I usually just keep doing my thing, if I notice them throwing crank baits I'll simply throw a worm or vice-versa. If they slow down or stop I'll simply go around and continue to enjoy my day.

I do understand your frustration if you felt they were crowding you and drifting into your personal space though, but it's also pretty common for a flotilla to be at the dam, buoy 3, power intake and the mouth of Navaho, especially when the anchovy bite is on.

I think communicating with you would have made the encounter better for both of you. You would probably have been eager to share your experience and they would have been more respectful of your space.
I once saw 13 boats fishing Buoy 3

View attachment 28550View attachment 28552
wonder what you would think of this kind of fishing?
Looks like a crappie flotilla on Roosevelt or Alamo or San Carlos when the bite is on.

That looks like a salmon in the net however.

I remember similar flotillas on the Mississippi by the lock and dam when the walleye were running.

At least it appears that these people are trolling in unison and not zigzagging back and forth cutting each other off.

Back