Projected Bullfrog North Ramp Closure Date

Tiff Mapel

Well-Known Member
I noticed that releases were slightly reduced starting September 1. When Water Year 2022 ends on September 30th, I wonder if releases will be further reduced starting on October 1, or Water Year 2023... Time to start matching the outflow with the inflow to keep the lake level stable.

Another below average winter predicted as La Nina continues to withhold our water.

Tiff
 

John P Funk

Escalante-Class Member
Most of the water districts in Utah are ending the irrigation season on September 15th this year (one month early). I don't know how that impacts things either.
If the irrigation water is sourced directly from the tributary rivers there will be an increase in inflow to the lake. If the source is an upstream reservoir, I doubt there will be any change to inflows as water will be held for next season(upstream reservoir releases will remain unchanged).
 

nzaugg

Well-Known Member
Looks like the irrigation season was extended to 9/26. Your point on reservoirs is good though. They may not be permitted to hold back the water though. I haven't typically seen the reservoirs build volume in October.
 

John P Funk

Escalante-Class Member
I haven't typically seen the reservoirs build volume in October
I can only speak for the Lower Dolores(below McPhee), but they don't increase outflow at the end of the irrigation season. Inflows are pretty limited this time of year though, so a noticeable gain in elevation doesn't occur(mostly hold steady). Other reservoirs with more substantial inflows may be operated differently.
 

Jan Hertzen

Member
Look at the lakepowell.water-data.com graph and you'll see that the water was dropping and was at this elevation on February 11 (3529.79). We are at this elevation (3529.65) and dropping on September 15. Sorry boys, this isn't looking good. Pray for lots of snow in the Rockies.
 

John P Funk

Escalante-Class Member
Monday Update:
9/18/22 Water Level: 3529.45
Inflows have picked up and 2 week decline average has dropped to -.12ft/day. Using these numbers, Houseboat closure(3529.0) should take place in 4 days(9/23/22). Full closure(3525.0) should be 37 days out(10/26/22). There is a continuing reduction in the rate of decline, but that trend may not continue. Dates will move further out if it continues.
 

Blackjack

Active Member
Can anyone confirm the NPS definition of “larger vessels” ? Asking for a friend. 😉 Our 31’ SeaRay has been sitting at the boat shop for 2 weeks awaiting a transmission replacement - which will hopefully occur within the next 2 days. . .which means we are literally at the cusp of either getting back into our slip - or not. Having watched the water levels religiously and observing boats launch and retrieve over the last 5 months - launching is less problematic than retrieving. I have no doubt we can safely launch the boat at 3525. . But if the ramp is technically “closed“ based on vessel size at 3529, I am guessing we will not be able to rely on Bullfrog Dry Storage and Exec Services to get us back in the water.
If we have to do it ourselves - earliest date we can get back to the Lake is the 26th - so things could get interesting. . . 😩
 

svivian

Well-Known Member
Can anyone confirm the NPS definition of “larger vessels” ? Asking for a friend. 😉 Our 31’ SeaRay has been sitting at the boat shop for 2 weeks awaiting a transmission replacement - which will hopefully occur within the next 2 days. . .which means we are literally at the cusp of either getting back into our slip - or not. Having watched the water levels religiously and observing boats launch and retrieve over the last 5 months - launching is less problematic than retrieving. I have no doubt we can safely launch the boat at 3525. . But if the ramp is technically “closed“ based on vessel size at 3529, I am guessing we will not be able to rely on Bullfrog Dry Storage and Exec Services to get us back in the water.
If we have to do it ourselves - earliest date we can get back to the Lake is the 26th - so things could get interesting. . . 😩
Ill be down on the weekend of Oct 7-9th with a 1 ton truck if things don't work out for Executive to launch. I could get it into your slip if you needed me to.
 

Blackjack

Active Member
Ill be down on the weekend of Oct 7-9th with a 1 ton truck if things don't work out for Executive to launch. I could get it into your slip if you needed me to.
Thanks a bunch for that gracious offer. We are hoping to have the transmission replaced this week - they are looking for the part now. IF they got the part AND can get it repaired this week - we should be able to get the boat back in the water next week. Exec Services told me today that they are stopping houseboat launch/retrievals, but we should be good down to 3527. If things work out, maybe we will see you down there in October ! Fingers crossed🤞 Hoping for the best. . Preparing for the worst.
 

John P Funk

Escalante-Class Member
Looks like one more weekend for houseboat launching/retrieving. Recent increases in inflow may extend the season a few more days but unlikely to next weekend. Rate of decline has slowed, but the door is definitely closing.
 

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
they are looking for the part now.
Friendly suggestion. Maybe try to find the part yourself and have it shipped (or drive it down yourself). A few years back our houseboat needed a replacement drive. The Boat Shop at Bullfrog made it sound like it would be a month. The ownership group found one in a matter of days.
 

Blackjack

Active Member
Friendly suggestion. Maybe try to find the part yourself and have it shipped (or drive it down yourself). A few years back our houseboat needed a replacement drive. The Boat Shop at Bullfrog made it sound like it would be a month. The ownership group found one in a matter of days.
Supposedly the part arrived Wednesday and the repair is in progress. As of now our slip remains open if anyone needs a place to lay up over the weekend. We are hoping to get the boat back in the water next week. . .
 

TheMarinator

Active Member
Hi all , Quick question on this 3525 number at Bullfrog for smaller boats .

Is that 3525 number a "4x4 recommended small boats and gutsy fisherman/probable mud " type of launch ? ...........Or a 2wd all tires are still safely on concrete / easy peasy type of launch ?

How deep is the remaining concrete when we are at 3525 ?

The only reason I ask is that in Mid Oct (cutting it very close) I am planning on launching an 18 footer , but with a motorhome rather than with my normal 4x4 tow vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
 

Meatwagon

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Hi all , Quick question on this 3525 number at Bullfrog for smaller boats .

Is that 3525 number a "4x4 recommended small boats and gutsy fisherman/probable mud " type of launch ? ...........Or a 2wd all tires are still safely on concrete / easy peasy type of launch ?

How deep is the remaining concrete when we are at 3525 ?

The only reason I ask is that in Mid Oct (cutting it very close) I am planning on launching an 18 footer , but with a motorhome rather than with my normal 4x4 tow vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
If memory serves me, the water was touching the concrete at 3522 last spring when the water started to rise. So there should be roughly 3ft depth at the end of the concrete at 3525.
 
Top