Pictures at “full pool”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Helzer

I was going through old pictures last night (Covid therapy), and found these. I thought they might be of interest since they were all taken when the lake was near full or in one case over full.

The first one is of me standing on the huge mound that is currently an island in the middle of the Escalante about 4 miles up from the mouth. It was about 6” under water. This was taken in July of 1983 at an elevation near 3704.

The second is of the Dam at 3695, probably around 1992

The third is of the bridge just north of Hite, probably around 1992.

Attachments

• F037641C-3AAE-4533-9AAA-F20746490E0D.jpeg
    F037641C-3AAE-4533-9AAA-F20746490E0D.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,263
  • 5376A2FC-C63D-4D65-B85F-05819B9BD510.jpeg
    5376A2FC-C63D-4D65-B85F-05819B9BD510.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,273
  • A4EF450A-A248-48DC-85B3-D5ADA3B5A2BC.jpeg
    A4EF450A-A248-48DC-85B3-D5ADA3B5A2BC.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,261
I was going through old pictures last night (Covid therapy), and found these. I thought they might be of interest since they were all taken when the lake was near full or in one case over full.

The first one is of me standing on the huge mound that is currently an island in the middle of the Escalante about 4 miles up from the mouth. It was about 6” under water. This was taken in July of 1983 at an elevation near 3704.

I remember those days and driving under the bridge, thanks for sharing!

My first visit was when you could boat through the cutoff from Bullfrog to Halls creek bay. We're a tad away from that now.
In 1975, my first Lake Powell trip, it was fun but not considered particularly exotic, to go from Bullfrog to Halls Bay through the cut. That’s the way it was for a good long while. Now we’re 100 feet from full pool. It’s almost unimaginable that we could ever get to that level again.
Think we’ll ever get there - what say you?

In 1975, my first Lake Powell trip, it was fun but not considered particularly exotic, to go from Bullfrog to Halls Bay through the cut. That’s the way it was for a good long while. Now we’re 100 feet from full pool. It’s almost unimaginable that we could ever get to that level again.
Ever is a long time but I doubt I will live long enough to see it again. My in-laws were on the CUP water board for years, he said if it had never topped out and went over the spill way there might be a chance but he doubts we will ever see it again because of the rights that full pool gave to down stream users. Hate to be a fun killer but I don’t think I will live long enough to ever see it full again. Powell is spectacular at any level, enjoy every trip.

The trend is definitely for hotter and drier, and more demand for the water.. But, warm air also holds more moisture. A common theme of predictions for future climate conditions is that there will be more extreme weather. A couple super wet years in a row will fill the lake again....not that it will stay full, but just think of how great the fishing will be !!!

Last edited:
The old saying is "History repeat's itself '' we may not see it, but someone will :)

I used to love the "Smith Pass" cut between BF bay and Halls bay. Halls was HUGE compared to now. The water was even close to Burr Trail road. The west side was much flatter than the split between the bays. I probably was the last real boat that was able to go through in 9-15-01, with my 26' cat hull deck boat. My hull draft is only 8 in., and I had the motor up and pushed the boat through by hand. Shallowest part, I got my foot under the sponson, but hit my arch. Must have been a foot deep, max...

Randy,

Enjoyed the photos. Like to hope in our life time we’ll see full pool again. We’ll see.
I have attached a photo of the families very first visit to Powell. 1965 the first year the lake opened. From what memories are left and there are quite a few. This is the Wahweap ramp and boat dock. For those of you that were there back then, you’ll remember the gravel ramp, at the end of the concrete ramp, takes a turn right, south, towards the present marina. The back ground is Castle Rock on the left. 55 years of enjoying this very special place. This picture was provided by the Arizona Historical Society. We didn’t even have a Polaroid at the time. I was only 15 years old.
C0E1EF46-C574-4E2F-9DC1-294BA87DBC58.jpeg

Randy,

Enjoyed the photos. Like to hope in our life time we’ll see full pool again. We’ll see.
I have attached a photo of the families very first visit to Powell. 1965 the first year the lake opened. From what memories are left and there are quite a few. This is the Wahweap ramp and boat dock. For those of you that were there back then, you’ll remember the gravel ramp, at the end of the concrete ramp, takes a turn right, south, towards the present marina. The back ground is Castle Rock on the left. 55 years of enjoying this very special place. This picture was provided by the Arizona Historical Society. We didn’t even have a Polaroid at the time. I was only 15 years old.
View attachment 7732
Wow, that's an awesome photo! In spring 1965, the water level was a consistent 3491... then they filled it quite a bit in July, so that by August 1965 it was at about 3530.

I was digging through the archives, and came across a couple of great photos from August 15, 1986. That was the first time I'd ever seen Lake Powell, and on that day the lake was at 3698, essentially full. The first shot is from Hite Overlook, looking back upstream with the wide Dirty Devil River at left, and the main stem of the Colorado at right. The second is right off Highway 95 along North Wash, where we camped at a turnout and went swimming...

...and the third shot was taken in September 2018, when the lake was at about 3592. It's essentially the same angle as the first shot from 1986. What a difference!

Attachments

• IMG_6679.jpg
    IMG_6679.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_6680.jpg
    IMG_6680.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
Status