• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

North Lake observations

drewsxmi

Since we're dredging up old memories, does anybody have information on the asphalt to the south of the main ramp at Bullfrog? Old road built just before the lake was filled? Temporary ramp extension added in 2005? (My pictures from 2005 look more like a temporary ramp extension made from poor quality asphalt or debris rotomilled from an existing road.) I suppose that we will get more answers later this year when it will be revealed. JFR managed to find some good information about the road to Kane Creek Wash built for river takeout. A quick check on Wikipedia shows that the road to Bullfrog wasn't even built until the late 1960's, but it's possible they could have continued the pavement down towards Bullfrog Creek to make a temporary ramp.

Dean Mc

The old pavement is the road that goes to the bottom. Got to find some old pictures of the first time my Dad took us kids to Bullfrog. 1964/5 ish
It was a dirt road from the turn off to the lake. Took most of a day to get there. The hi way wasn't built until several years later. He rented a tinny and we boated around what was a slow river at the time. Never could imagine the lake filling up DMc.

Bill Sampson

Got there one time - unintentionally. We thought the proposed marina at Copper canyon was the one that had been opened. Boy we’re we in for a surprise when we turned that corner! Our little 50’ Kayot was on fumes by the time we hit the SJ marina 😁. Told everyone they’d better buy souvenirs caused we’d never be back. Little did I know it wouldn’t be an option a few years later
Are you planning a trip up the San Juan in late June or early July? If so, your water level information would be important to me. I try to houseboat close to Great Bend.

Dungee

Love this thread. Made me scrummage through some old pics...
DF75653C-B39A-46C7-A60A-72DFC690F028.jpeg
Hite overlook, I was probably about three? So 90 or 91.
156AB02B-2E4F-496B-AC3B-EA0CE611CFFE.jpeg
My dad standing and my uncle in his homemade sunglasses, late 80’s, north wash behind.
0BB41507-EBC2-492A-AB69-609001164ACD.jpeg
Me with a smallie in one the coves between Farley and Hite, was right around Nixon’s age, 95,96...? The best fishing on the whole lake has been high and dry for a long time now... :(
00F72044-D815-4A24-B357-84339B64784C.jpeg
Another one of me way back in White, again, around Nixon’s age now. Have only been able to fish that same cove a couple of times in the last decade.

thekid26

Probably few of us here that are old enough to remember going through 'the cut'. I too remember leaving Bullfrog marina and could be in Halls in under 5 minutes. Camp on the islands on the other side. Quick drive back to Bullfrog marina and park the boat 5 steps away from the marina store on the hill for some ice cream.

There still is a small bay in the back of Halls for water sports, but about half way back you start seeing limbs sticking out of the water, and further back whole trees. Grafted around 35' deep in the middle of the bay, under 20' or less in a lot of areas. Be careful and follow the main channel going in because there are shallows everywhere and that main channel may not be visibility obvious. I would not be surprised if there are a few crunched props this busy weekend in there.
thanks for the info, do you happen to have any photos from halls?

smb290

I too remember the high water of 83 and the sandbags at the Bullfrog Store. The view at the Dam was also memorable as it
was difficult to even tell there was a dam as the water level was around 3707 on that 4th of July weekend. Heading out of
Wahweap going back uplake there was an erie feeling looking at mostly SKY !! as there was not much of the dam above the
water. I also remember that you could get pretty close to it back then as there were no buoys to keep you out.

HereComesTheSun

Pulled out on the north ramp yesterday after 5 days on the lake. Yes, three wide is all you are going to get, if the driver can back up accordingly. Left, right, center otherwise you loose a spot. Assuming the lake is not coming up this year, not a lot of ramp left. Not knowing exact angles and depth to calculate, I'm only going to guess another 2 or 3 ft. down and my tires will drop off the end. Launching probably doable with my 18' boat. Picking up I'm pretty sure I'll just spin tires, even in 4 low - it's a good 6" drop in places. Parking as we all know is questionable at best. Why there is no large shuttle doing round trips all day long is beyond me...didn't see one.

Understanding is primitive launching at old ramp is shallow, but can be done. Most likely will go there next trip in a few weeks, but question parking next to launch could end any time powers that be decide to shut it down. Here's a thought, allow perpendicular parking on the ramp itself like they did several years ago and make life easy and organized...but why do that.

They moved the breakwater tires at Halls fuel / pump out so that you have more than 18' opening like before. Pump out worked great. Why there isn't a closed sign for fuel before you enter marina, don't know...

My take is the lake is just "different" after having gone there for some 40 years. Slick Rock Canyon is just a bay. Halls Creek Bay is more like Halls Creak Canyon, but lots of sandy beaches everywhere. Still plenty of water for everyone to have fun, but be careful though. Driving around watching depth, there are shallow spots in areas that you would never guess are there.
We are are planning a trip for next week. I keep debating whether to launch at Halls Crossing or Bullfrog. Did you see any large boats launching and or retrieving the the Bullfrog North ramp? Our boat is 24’ but sits high on the trailer due to the forward drive outdrive. We have to back in about 10’ further than other boats. I guess the question would be if my boat was 34’ long could I still launch at the Bullfrog launch ramp or should I head for Halls Crossing? Thank you beforehand for any information anyone may provide.

Dave I.

Or an on water boat shop at Halls 😎
That's funny because the summer of '08 (if my memory serves me right), Hall's tried a summer of re-opening the on water boat shop and boat rentals. I was the only mechanic on the water at Hall's and in charge of the shop/parts for that summer.

Just look where I am now. haha. But I was in Hanksville before that point. ;)

jeeps72

We are are planning a trip for next week. I keep debating whether to launch at Halls Crossing or Bullfrog. Did you see any large boats launching and or retrieving the the Bullfrog North ramp? Our boat is 24’ but sits high on the trailer due to the forward drive outdrive. We have to back in about 10’ further than other boats. I guess the question would be if my boat was 34’ long could I still launch at the Bullfrog launch ramp or should I head for Halls Crossing? Thank you beforehand for any information anyone may provide.
We did not see any larger boats launching when we came out, just a handful of my size boats. When dropping my boat off at storage, Off Shore had a 30' and a 40' loaded and gassing up so can only assume they were heading over to launch. I'm guessing I had at least 15' of paved ramp past my tires after backing in to load and lake level has not changed much since then, if that helps.

jeeps72

thanks for the info, do you happen to have any photos from halls?
Sorry no recent photos. Did fish all over in halls and can say there are several nice little coves and niches you can tuck a boat into on the north side. Lots of sand beaches on the south.

HereComesTheSun

We did not see any larger boats launching when we came out, just a handful of my size boats. When dropping my boat off at storage, Off Shore had a 30' and a 40' loaded and gassing up so can only assume they were heading over to launch. I'm guessing I had at least 15' of paved ramp past my tires after backing in to load and lake level has not changed much since then, if that helps.
That’s really helpful. Thank you!!

Frostman

We’ve always relied on the yellowish color of shallow water to warn us to head for deeper water. And that’s going back over 30 years on the Lake. This past trip it didn’t work on a grassy/mussel covered shoal in Bullfrog Bay. The shoal was below the bathtub ring and the shallows were anything but yellowish. Be careful out there! Follow the riverbed via your GPS charts, take it slow, cross your fingers and live to play another day!

Richard

Good info and thanks -- Your right --- we are count on yellowish colored water -- but obviously you found out otherwise -- hope there wasn't any damage

How were the ramps ?

Frostman

No damage as we were gingerly scouting for future camps. All 3 north lake ramps were in use. We used the Executive ramp in both directions. Smaller boats off to the side on the Bullfrog main ramp. Watched a 35-40 foot cruiser being launched on the Exec ramp. Little traffic at the Halls ramp.