• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

North Lake observations

jeeps72

Pulled out on the north ramp yesterday after 5 days on the lake. Yes, three wide is all you are going to get, if the driver can back up accordingly. Left, right, center otherwise you loose a spot. Assuming the lake is not coming up this year, not a lot of ramp left. Not knowing exact angles and depth to calculate, I'm only going to guess another 2 or 3 ft. down and my tires will drop off the end. Launching probably doable with my 18' boat. Picking up I'm pretty sure I'll just spin tires, even in 4 low - it's a good 6" drop in places. Parking as we all know is questionable at best. Why there is no large shuttle doing round trips all day long is beyond me...didn't see one.

Understanding is primitive launching at old ramp is shallow, but can be done. Most likely will go there next trip in a few weeks, but question parking next to launch could end any time powers that be decide to shut it down. Here's a thought, allow perpendicular parking on the ramp itself like they did several years ago and make life easy and organized...but why do that.

They moved the breakwater tires at Halls fuel / pump out so that you have more than 18' opening like before. Pump out worked great. Why there isn't a closed sign for fuel before you enter marina, don't know...

My take is the lake is just "different" after having gone there for some 40 years. Slick Rock Canyon is just a bay. Halls Creek Bay is more like Halls Creak Canyon, but lots of sandy beaches everywhere. Still plenty of water for everyone to have fun, but be careful though. Driving around watching depth, there are shallow spots in areas that you would never guess are there.

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 252

jeeps72

Yes pump out is open at Halls, but not a lot of room to maneuver once inside. Couple buoys in the way and and if you have one or two other houseboats in there at the same time it could become interesting real quick.

jeeps72

Probably few of us here that are old enough to remember going through 'the cut'. I too remember leaving Bullfrog marina and could be in Halls in under 5 minutes. Camp on the islands on the other side. Quick drive back to Bullfrog marina and park the boat 5 steps away from the marina store on the hill for some ice cream.

There still is a small bay in the back of Halls for water sports, but about half way back you start seeing limbs sticking out of the water, and further back whole trees. Grafted around 35' deep in the middle of the bay, under 20' or less in a lot of areas. Be careful and follow the main channel going in because there are shallows everywhere and that main channel may not be visibility obvious. I would not be surprised if there are a few crunched props this busy weekend in there.

Ryan

I don't remember the year, but one time when we were there that Bullfrog marina store was surrounded by sand bags as the water level was above the level of the store.

Now, people that work at Bullfrog don't even know the history. A few years back when I was trying to get a ride from my truck (parked up there) down to the docks, I called and requested the shuttle. I told them I was at the "old marina store", and they had no idea what I meant. I explained where it was, and was told "oh, you must mean the maintenance shop".

And maybe that isn't what it is called now, as I waited for what seemed like long enough to me, and proceeded to walk to the docks. The shuttle never showed.......

Dworwood

I too remember all that. I went through the cut in 80 I believe and as luck would have it I blew the engine on my brothers tri hull. He had barrowed it to a friend and being a good friend he filled it with gas so it was full when we left but he didn’t know he had to add oil so we made it through the cut, set up camp and then about a mile towards the main channel In Halls before it blew. Kind of screwed up that trip!

Not Yet You Bet

Great pictures and comparison. Just wondering what is all the white color shading in some of the water areas. Like upper end of Bullfrog bay, In Halls canyon and at the bottom of the picture in the main Chanel down lake?

SkibumUT

Great pictures and comparison. Just wondering what is all the white color shading in some of the water areas. Like upper end of Bullfrog bay, In Halls canyon and at the bottom of the picture in the main Chanel down lake?
If it’s in the low water level photo, I’m guessing it’s the reflection of the sun off the water in the satellite image.

Dave I.

I remember being able to tie the boat to the rocks and walk (not very far) to the store which is now the maintenance/laundry building.
But if you really want to cook the new employee noodles, tell them you wish there was still boat rentals at Hite. haha

PowellBride

Lets not forget the Navajo marina all the way up the San Juan.
Got there one time - unintentionally. We thought the proposed marina at Copper canyon was the one that had been opened. Boy we’re we in for a surprise when we turned that corner! Our little 50’ Kayot was on fumes by the time we hit the SJ marina 😁. Told everyone they’d better buy souvenirs caused we’d never be back. Little did I know it wouldn’t be an option a few years later

JFRCalifornia

I remember being able to tie the boat to the rocks and walk (not very far) to the store which is now the maintenance/laundry building.
But if you really want to cook the new employee noodles, tell them you wish there was still boat rentals at Hite. haha
Just to jog the memories of those who were there, here's a couple of photos from the north lake wayback machine...

Getting gas at Hite Marina on 9-2-99, when the lake was at 3693...

99-09-02 Hite 1 3693.JPG

Then there's the Hite overlook, taken on 8-15-86, lake level 3698...

86-08-15 Hite 3698.jpg

Finally, cliff jumping into North Wash, same day, 8-15-86, lake at 3698....

86-08-15 North Wash 3698.jpg