Navionics

Status
Not open for further replies.

K&M

We are interested in buying a mapping chip (Navionics sells them, most likely there are other companies as well) that will enable us to input the current lake elevation and it will give us accurate information of the lake's makeup below the water. Does anyone use one, and does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind is best? We would certainly want to use it for Powell, but we see they have zones you can buy chips for. We would put it on our main navigation graft (a Lowrance Elite 7). Thanks for your help!

Well, the fish finder will give you the lake depth, but the chip is supposed to give you "real time" structure. Does that make sense?

Question, is it the chip or the fishfinder that allowes one to adjust lake level. Sq
Probably need to verify which does what. My Humminbird 859 di HD does the lake level adjustments and the Lakemaster Western states ver.1.0 works great at Powell. That alone has saved my bacon numerous times. Worth EVERY penny. Sq

As soon as KBASS sees this, he will set us all straight. Sq
Ha ha. Sorry. On my Lowrance elite 7 , I used the base map on the unit. It worked great. Now I have the Lund with the Helix 7. The base map is not as good. I too am trying to decide which map system to use. Hopefully someone can help me out on this as well. Thanks. PS I am computer challenged so I would like something easy.

Lakemaster western states card is awesome. I wouldn't be at lake powell without it ever again
Yep, works with hummingbird units but I don't know about lowrance. I think it's the depth finder that actually adjusts the lake level to give you the current shoreline. I have found the lake master chip extremely accurate on the lakes that I have used it on .

replace59.png
Here is a picture of my hummingbird at Bartlett lake a few weeks ago, the lake is about 60 percent full and I adjusted the depth to reflect the current shoreline as well as highlight 2 depth zones. The more I play with it the more I like it.

IMG_0409.jpg Navionics + works well too. It allows you to adjust for depth and redraws what the lake "looks" like based on satellite images with contour lines mixed with bathymegric maps of the lake.

It has all major USA lakes including Powell, Mead, BARTLETT, Pleasant, Flaming Gorge, Jackson, etc etc.

I just download it on my iPad and iPhone, both of which have GPS built in and don't require any cellular or wifi to work as long as you download the maps ahead of time.

The HD maps can be downloaded at home over wifi then on the lake your graph can stay focused on finding fish, while your smart device becomes your Nav tool.

It's also great using the phone or iPad because it's mobile, and you can easily carry it around, show your friends and family where to meet at a camp site, plan and store routes past and future, etc.

I think it works really well and is better than running it just in your chart plotter/fish finder since it's mobile and easier to share data at the end or beginning of the day.

You can also email or text your planned GPS routes to friends and family so you're all working off the same info regardless of whether or not anyone else has a fish finder.

Not to mention, you can share your planned path with a spouse so she or he knows generally where you'll be in the event of emergency.

It looks like as usual, you all are full of good information and help. It sounds like the LakeMaster is probably only for Hummingbird, but we'll look into that. Sounds like Navionics + might be the best for us. Our application would probably be more like what MeatWagon is showing he does. We too are electronically challenged, so easy would be handy. As much as anything, we are wanting to safely navigate up and down the lake, since some of us in the boat sometimes likes to come in a bit late...Thanks a lot for the input and info!

I have older naviioncs hotmaps west, it does a good job of marking main channel, stay between the pink channel lines and your good to go. Any place like red canyon desires to be driven slow with any map! I just looked at You tube and Navionics newer chip with later gen3 system you can set lake depth adjustment to shade shoreline colors, I don't think it will adjust contour lines to be real actual depth but rather depth from full pool. allot of new map technology out there , I need to spend some time getting up to date.

Last edited:
I should also mention:

The NAVIONIC'S Mirco-SD cards you buy to insert into a Fish-finder/Chart Plotter typically cost about $150-$300. Very expensive.

If you choose to download the Navionics APP on your iPhone, iPad, or Smart Phone, the cost for the very same level of accuracy (and the added benefit of it being portable vs attached to your boat) can be had for as little as $10.00.

iPad HD Version $49.99
"Boating HD" With NAVIONICS+ HD - The best version in terms of resolution and detail, but requires an iPad and expensive in-app purchases.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boating-hd-marine-lakes/id744966613?mt=8

iPhone Version $10 (annually), with in-App purchases for USA lakes etc. in higher detail with Navionics+ ($4.99 annually)
"Boating USA" is basic, detailed marine maps, including Lake Powell in pretty damn good detail. Although the iPad version is better (above) I honestly use the iPhone version almost all the time because the non-HD version works well, and is easily viewed and used on my phone. You can save routes, mark spots and share them with others, etc. So with the Navionics+ in-app purchase for $4.99 it does just about everything you'd want for quality navigation. The maps obviously work even when you are NOT on a wireless or cellular network, as long as you mount your phone in a place with line-of site to the sky so it can acquire and track GPS coordinates.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boating-usa/id377908737?mt=8

With the iPad, iPhone, and Smart Phone versions of Navionics, the internal GPS in your phone (or iPad if you have the cellular version) is supported even when in the middle of nowhere. THAT SAID, the GPS antennas on the phones are small, and susceptible to interference occasionally. Because of that, I use a supplemental GPS unit made by Garmin (not waterproof) which connects to my phone/iPad via bluetooth. This enables the app to leverage the much more accurate external GPS (including Russian GLONAS) giving you much more accurate readings down to the foot, and speeds accurately shown in MPH updated 6 times per second.

The external GPS unit is this: Garmin GLO
- Needs to be mounted under the windshield so it doesn't get wet or rained on (can be simply velcro'd on, just make sure it's protected from water and has sky view)
- Has a built-in lithium ion battery that lasts about 2 days on a full charge. It also has a USB port for charging and can be used while charging
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYAZENY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mount the GPS using a suction cup "phone holder" by squeezing the GPS between the phone holder clip. MUST NOT BE MAGNETIC
https://www.amazon.com/Macally-Wind...=1-1-spons&keywords=phone+mount+suction&psc=1

I mount my phone on the dashboard using a magnetic mount like this one on Amazon: (requires an included small metal plate to be adhered to your phone or case)
https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-MAGW...519765692&sr=1-8&keywords=phone+mount+suction
Keep in mind, using the magnetic mount does slightly interfere with the internal phone GPS (it still ID's GPS coordinates via RF Mhz, but it doesn't recognize compass heading changes), so I usually use it paired to the Garmin GLO when navigating to ensure I have both GPS and Compass headings updated and accurate in real-time.

Overall the entire setup with phone holder, GPS unit, GPS holder, and Navionics App, you're in it for about $150. But to me, having it on my phone and mobile vs shackled to the boat is more than worth it.

If you use a non-magnetic mount for your phone, eliminate the external GPS, and just use your cell phone GPS and the App, you're looking at about $30 all-in, and gives you a pretty darn useful set of tools to map, track, save and create routes, etc. And even with the internal GPS as long as you keep the phone in a non-magnetic spot and where it can see the sky, you'll probably have everything you'll ever need.

DSCN1034.jpg I love this site.

8 months ago I came to Lake Powell the first time with our own boat, posted a number of questions on this forum, and based on feedback from many smart people over that period I've learned a lot of lessons without having to learn them the hard way!

Now, here I am less than a year later able to contribute and pass on my own lessons learned.

It's an amazing way to share ideas, pass on knowledge, and make the lake a better (safer) place for all.

View attachment 1711 I love this site.

8 months ago I came to Lake Powell the first time with our own boat, posted a number of questions on this forum, and based on feedback from many smart people over that period I've learned a lot of lessons without having to learn them the hard way!

Now, here I am less than a year later able to contribute and pass on my own lessons learned.

It's an amazing way to share ideas, pass on knowledge, and make the lake a better (safer) place for all.
You've been bit hard, good for you, it only gets better.

Thanks, Chris, your research has been a great help to us. You are right about this forum. It really is a great place to help with the learning curve! It's great to make the connection on the lake of who is on the forum and to meet in person as well!

Thanks, Chris, your research has been a great help to us. You are right about this forum. It really is a great place to help with the learning curve! It's great to make the connection on the lake of who is on the forum and to meet in person as well!

You're welcome. I learned a lot by trial and error, tons of google searches, and experimenting myself.

This setup really works well and since it's portable I can take "Screen shots" of the map, and text our past, present, or future location to people whether I'm on the boat or not.
IMG_4354.jpeg

Example:

Last summer a group of us were meeting up. Trying to explain where to someone unfamiliar with the lake isn't easy. So I marked our spot with a RED HOUSE icon, took a screen shot and texted it to everyone. All 3 of them found us within the hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back