LP walleye question

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg sr

If walleye spawn in March. Do you have to wait a period of time or Can you still catch them in February and March? Is May the best month because of water temperature or are they just really hungry then? I believe that i have read threads from others that have caught many walleye before the month of May. I don’t want to wait for May to start catching walleye!

I have never caught 40 in one trip ever. Do you have to go way north or are they through out the lake?

Our best day for walleye ever was march 30 last year ... ned rigs thrown into any gravel slope that was in the shade Worked great for us .about 40 walleye Mid day no less! Could basically call it every time
What color was working ?

Our best day for walleye ever was march 30 last year ... ned rigs thrown into any gravel slope that was in the shade Worked great for us .about 40 walleye Mid day no less! Could basically call it every time
What depth?

Casting to the bank...super slow drag on bottom... not real deep probably 10-20’. The key was bottom contact and super slow

Greg,
February, March, and April are great times for LP walleye. I catch 95% of my fish(including walleye) this time of year throwing a suspending jerkbait. My favorite jerkbait for LP is a Lucky Craft Pointer 100 in ghost shad, but many other colors are very effective. I prefer the natural colors because of the LP clear early spring water. the exception to this is a clown color which walleye cant help but kill on overcast days. I fish these baits on either straight 8 or 10lb flourocarbon or on 30lb braid with a 15 foot 8 lb flouro carbon leader. The key to being successful with this lure is to fish it slow when the water is below 50 degrees. The bait is made to suspend in cold water (55 degrees) so i will try different rates of retrieve, but i start with two quick pops and a five to 10 second pause and then repeat until the bait is back to the boat. If i think the fish are more lethargic i will go with a pull instead of a pop and let the bait pause for 10 to 20 seconds. if i think the fish are fired up i will fish it with a 3 to 5 second pause and a quick pop in between. I know this might sound like im getting into the weeds a bit with technique but these baits are in my opinion far and away the way to catch large fish in cold water and how you fish them is important 90 percent of the time. Always fish this bait all the way back to the boat, ive watched large walleyes at lake powell follow this bait for twenty feet before eating it 5 feet from the boat. you will also catch big smallmouth, largemouth and stripers early season doing this. usually if you catch a walleye doing this on a specific piece of structure i.e a point , reef, or windblown bank etc, you can expect to catch several more in that spot and turn it into a pattern, finding similar banks and points throughout the area that will be holding fish. Wind helps the jerkbait bite, and so does cloud cover. I fish halls and north, with good hope bay area and north a bit being the best walleye fishing ive found on the lake. Try this technique, you may not get as many bites as you would dragging ned rigs and such but this is a big fish technique and it is a blast to fish this way. also watch your line on the pauses, often your will just see your line jump and may not even feel the bite since alot of times the fish just suck it in. there are also many good cheaper jerkbaits if you dont want to spend 20 bucks a pop on lucky Craft, i fished with smithwick rogues for years, you just have to tune them sometimes. feel free to email me if you would like more specifics.
cheers
jonny

Jonny: thank you so much for your detailed reply. This is very helpful and I appreciate your detailed honesty. This site and people like yourself, make this such a wonderful forum to read and be a part of. May we all have a good fish catching 2020. Thank you again Jonny!
no worries, i hope you try it and load the boat! It will be an effective technique from now until the water hits 60+ degrees and then you just fish it faster with no pauses, jerkbaits are such a lethal lure !

Last edited by a moderator:
no worries, i hope you try it and load the boat! It will bean effective technique from now until the water hits 60+ degrees and then you just fish it faster with no pauses, jerkbaits are such a lethal lure !
I’m heading up to Good Hope March 22 for week and I’ll definitely give this a try ! Love big walleye!

Greg,
February, March, and April are great times for LP walleye. I catch 95% of my fish(including walleye) this time of year throwing a suspending jerkbait. My favorite jerkbait for LP is a Lucky Craft Pointer 100 in ghost shad, but many other colors are very effective. I prefer the natural colors because of the LP clear early spring water. the exception to this is a clown color which walleye cant help but kill on overcast days. I fish these baits on either straight 8 or 10lb flourocarbon or on 30lb braid with a 15 foot 8 lb flouro carbon leader. The key to being successful with this lure is to fish it slow when the water is below 50 degrees. The bait is made to suspend in cold water (55 degrees) so i will try different rates of retrieve, but i start with two quick pops and a five to 10 second pause and then repeat until the bait is back to the boat. If i think the fish are more lethargic i will go with a pull instead of a pop and let the bait pause for 10 to 20 seconds. if i think the fish are fired up i will fish it with a 3 to 5 second pause and a quick pop in between. I know this might sound like im getting into the weeds a bit with technique but these baits are in my opinion far and away the way to catch large fish in cold water and how you fish them is important 90 percent of the time. Always fish this bait all the way back to the boat, ive watched large walleyes at lake powell follow this bait for twenty feet before eating it 5 feet from the boat. you will also catch big smallmouth, largemouth and stripers early season doing this. usually if you catch a walleye doing this on a specific piece of structure i.e a point , reef, or windblown bank etc, you can expect to catch several more in that spot and turn it into a pattern, finding similar banks and points throughout the area that will be holding fish. Wind helps the jerkbait bite, and so does cloud cover. I fish halls and north, with good hope bay area and north a bit being the best walleye fishing ive found on the lake. Try this technique, you may not get as many bites as you would dragging ned rigs and such but this is a big fish technique and it is a blast to fish this way. also watch your line on the pauses, often your will just see your line jump and may not even feel the bite since alot of times the fish just suck it in. there are also many good cheaper jerkbaits if you dont want to spend 20 bucks a pop on lucky Craft, i fished with smithwick rogues for years, you just have to tune them sometimes. feel free to email me if you would like more specifics.
cheers
jonny
ok I have been looking at the Lucky craft pointers, are you using the the dd (deep divers) looks like they go 6-7' , the regular go 3-4'? thanks, dang things are $$$$

Yes Lucky Craft are expensive. I like that they swim straight right out of the box. I really don't like lures that swim sideways or stay on top instead of diving as they should. I really don't like to tweak lures to make sure they are ready to go. I especially don't like lures that catch one fish and then must be realigned before they will run straight again. I would rather spend time fishing instead of readjusting. So I spend the extra money on Lucky Craft and enjoy more fishing time. It does really hurt when the line breaks and the lure is gone. Make sure to check the line for nicks or weak spots regularly when using Lucky Craft. I like the Chartreuse shad and Ghost color for stripers.

thanks WET1 my experience would lead me to want to be deeper for eyes as well, not sure I have the patience for jerk baits hold of 10 20 seconds, guess I will have to limit the coffee if fishing them. Thanks Wayne, yeah I hate tuning baits as well, I was fishing with wife a few years ago throwing flicker shads, 3.99 lures, I was hammering walleyes , wife was not, finally I watched her and saw the flicker shad she had on would pop out of the surface, she claims I gave her the bad one on purpose lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back