HOUSEBOAT INSURANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the forum but have been house boating at LP for many years
Warner Gleave has canceled our steel pontoon boat moored on a buoy at BF.
We have been with them for 20 years and have 5 partners.
I am sure there are many owners having the same problem.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Desertman
Same problem. Steel hull at Bullfrog, can't find coverage. Looking for suggestions also.

My thanks to Desertman and others who sounded the first alarm over insurance. I'm told verbally (waiting for the actual written confirmation) that Markel will renew this year as we are moving to a slip.

I feel for everyone who is in a multi-owner boat and can't get coverage. I assume that in then next few years we'll be in the same position, we won't be able to get coverage regardless of the number of owners.

Now I'm hoping the lake will stay open and I get to use the boat this year

My thanks to Desertman and others who sounded the first alarm over insurance. I'm told verbally (waiting for the actual written confirmation) that Markel will renew this year as we are moving to a slip.

I feel for everyone who is in a multi-owner boat and can't get coverage. I assume that in then next few years we'll be in the same position, we won't be able to get coverage regardless of the number of owners.

Now I'm hoping the lake will stay open and I get to use the boat this year
Good luck PowellBride. When I checked a week ago, Bullfrog only had 3 slips left and there had already been inquiries on them. I was told to get one you'd have to start renting immediately. I'm still looking.

Can anyone provide an update if they were able to find coverage outside of Markel for a steel hull multi-owner boat moored in a slip?

I was able to find a single owner policy -- so we can be on a buoy -- but I've heard of no other policies being available for multi-owners unless you rent a slip

Powell Bride -- I thought you were a single owner or did you decide it was best to just have a slip ?

FYI -- American Family in GJ was NOT able to help me

I found no one outside Markel for multi-owner. I was not looking for a steel hull set up.

Apparently American Family Insurance (I think) will do multi-owner but only up to 4 total owners.

I found no one outside Markel for multi-owner. I was not looking for a steel hull set up.

Apparently American Family Insurance (I think) will do multi-owner but only up to 4 total owners.
American Family can't provide the environmental coverage requirement set forth by NPS and Aramark.

I was able to find a single owner policy -- so we can be on a buoy -- but I've heard of no other policies being available for multi-owners unless you rent a slip

Powell Bride -- I thought you were a single owner or did you decide it was best to just

I'm 2 owners. Ended up staying with Markel, but they insisted on a slip. I'd love to find an option that le

I called 1/2 dozen other places, no one else offered a solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you mind sharing your point of contact at Geico Marine? We have 6 owners also.
I imagine they would want to see the ownership under the LLC. We are currently set up as a corporation and they asked for the owners of the corporation.
Would you mind sharing your point of contact at Geico Marine? We have 6 owners also.
Scott- I will share more info and experience. Contact me via email at [email protected]

New to the forum but have been house boating at LP for many years
Warner Gleave has canceled our steel pontoon boat moored on a buoy at BF.
We have been with them for 20 years and have 5 partners.
I am sure there are many owners having the same problem.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Desertman
Did you get this resolved? We are in the same boat, no pun intended

If you have your insurance with American Reliable and have not renewed yet please reach out to your agent and start getting renewal quotes. American Reliable is getting out of the boat insurance business and non renewing all policies. Get ahead of this while you can especially with everyone being super busy on the lake right now. If you have over 6 owners your only option is Markel at this point and they will require you have a survey within the last two years. Make sure all of the suggested repairs were made on the survey. Markel knows they are the only option for large multi owner boats and being very picky on the risks they accept. I have spoken with a few boat owners that were given two weeks notice from their agent that they were being non renewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back