HOUSEBOAT INSURANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertman

New to the forum but have been house boating at LP for many years
Warner Gleave has canceled our steel pontoon boat moored on a buoy at BF.
We have been with them for 20 years and have 5 partners.
I am sure there are many owners having the same problem.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Desertman

Sad to say that I am hearing a lot of the same thing from customers regarding the steel pontoon houseboats. Insurance companies have no problem insuring aluminum toon houseboats, but sadly, they are also realizing that the lifespan on these '80's steel toons are becoming troublesome and expensive due to insurance claims.

I have personally been looking into what it would take to build aluminum pontoons to replace the steel at a reasonable rate. I can imagine many would love to keep the houseboats they have but get rid of the steel problem.

Always looking forward and looking for a solution to problems.

If I can get something figured out (aluminum supply is biggest issue), Anyone interested in being a Guinee Pig? haha

While pondering the cost considerations of purchasing a $9000 houseboat and putting alu pontoons under it we guessed about $10K for the pontoons and a ton of labor to take the old ones off and install the new ones. May not make financial sense. Found 24 foot alu pontoons for under 3K each and thats how we guessed 10K each for 50 foot. Don't know about the bouyency calculations. Just a stab in the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
While pondering the cost considerations of purchasing a $9000 houseboat and putting alu pontoons under it we guessed about $10K for the pontoons and a ton of labor to take the old ones off and install the new ones. May not make financial sense. Found 24 foot alu pontoons for under 3K each and thats how we guessed 10K each for 50 foot. Don't know about the bouyency calculations. Just a stab in the dark.

Thinking about this, I decided to do a few quick calculations.
A 50' houseboat has approx. 1000 square feet of surface area not including the interior baffles.
A 4' x 10' x 1/8" thick sheet of aluminum is roughly $400 each.
That would take a minimum of 25 sheets (just for the outer shell).
That is $10k minimum just for the aluminum alone.
Then having the pieces bent, Transoms built, Welding them all together and then remove and replace.
The boat would really have to be loved to undergo such an extreme expense. A low figure would probably be $20k after all said and done.

Sorry about the thread steal Desertman.

Thinking about this, I decided to do a few quick calculations.
A 50' houseboat has approx. 1000 square feet of surface area not including the interior baffles.
A 4' x 10' x 1/8" thick sheet of aluminum is roughly $400 each.
That would take a minimum of 25 sheets (just for the outer shell).
That is $10k minimum just for the aluminum alone.
Then having the pieces bent, Transoms built, Welding them all together and then remove and replace.
The boat would really have to be loved to undergo such an extreme expense. A low figure would probably be $20k after all said and done.

Sorry about the thread steal Desertman.
Wow, you would have to be oozing love to want to do that.

Just to chime in, I heard of a steel monohull that hit a rock and sank. the insurance co. , which of course had no issue with collecting the payments, refused to cover the claim due to the steel hull being structurally deficient. Even with insurance you may not truly be covered. Steel hulls/pontoons definitely have a lifespan, which I have been told is roughly 25 yrs., from multiple sources. Sadly for those invested in the older steel, it makes for some tough decisions.

Another option to consider instead of slip or buoy would be dry dock storage and pay launch retrieve. That way the steel hulls aren't sitting in water 24/7.

Desertman -- I just found myself in a similar situation -- My understanding from Warner Gleave is that American Reliable is no longer going to insure water crafts after 01/2020. Markel will insure a steel hulled boat if it is kept at a slip -- I spoke to Executive Services today and they have very limited slip / covered or non covered available.

Executive Services recommended American Marine Insurance -- I am filling out a form from them and will let you know the outcome -- Perhaps you have found insurance ?

Not going too much into detail, but I would advise you to do considerable research before insuring with Markel. I was a partner on a boat that went down at Powell. We had Markel and they were less than a pleasure to deal with.

Proceed with caution.

Thanks Ryan - My main concern is to cover the NPS environmental rider that is needed -- The HB has a value of 24K - though re-powered and remodeled-- Of course it has no value if I can't get insurance

Never had a claim but, Daniels Agency in Junction insured my Boatel, to satisfy NPS and A-mark for cheap. American Family !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back