Far North April 11th-13th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungee

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Fished Good Hope Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Water clarity: Water clarity was fine, we never went past the horn, water in the main channel starting at the bathroom was a good chalky color, water visibility was probably 3-4 feet? All the side canyons were spared and the silt line cuts the bay right down the middle.

Water Temps: Water temp at Bullfrog thursday morning was 53, water temp up in Good Hope was 57 that night, we saw a couple areas in the backs of canyons hit 60 and for the most part it started everyday around 56. The intermittent wind didn't help and the calmness in between made you wanting more.

Fishing: Fishing was.... okay? It definitely seemed like a transition period within the already transition period that spring naturally is. We hooked four fish within ten minutes off a gravel slope with water being pushed past the end, this was a couple walleye, a smally and a good largemouth. Then we'd hit other bank areas and only pick up a couple more fish? This pattern seemed to stay with us throughout the trip, if we had just focused on walleye we couldve done very well for them I suppose, but I wanted to keep throwing baits at good looking structure hoping they would turn on as they have in past trips. The bass seemed confused, I suppose most were still recovering from the recent hurricane and low pressure patterns and wed pick up the few fish who had taken the break in weather to move up and they were aggressive. But then wed hit the back of a canyon or a random area and it was every cast for twenty minutes even in sub 60 degree water.

From about 4-6 seemed like the best time to fish, lots of baits worked. I caught many on a pointer s jerkbait, my sister killed it this trip with a chartruse single tail grub. She was working the back of the boat very slowly, she would either snag or get a fish while we watched.... Other baits were gulp on a jig head, and a single tail green pumpkin zoom jig. Fishing slower and methodically seemed to work best when possible and calm, from around 4-6 though fish were up higher and more aggressive. Overall it was a great trip, but in the back of my mind I knew what we could be doing so I was a little perplexed at times.

I dont have exact numbers but in all I'd say we landed around 75-90 fish?

15-20 walleye (mostly males)
25 ish Stripers (all in great shape)
25 ish Smallies
5 Largies
5 Crappie
2 Catfish
1 Giant Sunsfish
1 Plugged Carp

Sorry, probably no video this time, memory cards were giving me some issues but I might have something to put together, we'll see.

DF2214B2-4875-4BD4-AC7A-AED8F24E1C74.jpeg
8D1BCA5B-F3EE-40C1-B1C9-06BDD423572F.jpeg
7189B582-9D96-40CA-94EF-37DA7642482F.jpeg
DBF6DF65-A745-4529-9A33-8A6DC464E184.jpeg
0B23CF51-74BB-4763-89A9-90E48BF42D3D.jpeg

Preston

Last edited:
Where is popcorn canyon ?

There's a map in this thread.

There's a map in this thread.
I have the Lake Powell north map and it is not listed there .

I have the Lake Powell north map and it is not listed there .
Correct. That is what is explained in the thread I referenced. It was unofficially named "Popcorn" by a Lake Powell enthusiast and the name stuck. Apparently there are popcorn-like formations on the sandstone. There is a satellite image provided in the thread.

Last edited:
Here's another reference from Alan Silverstein -

And another sat image -

Here's another reference from Alan Silverstein -

And another sat image -
Thanks got it

Sorry to hear the bass boys were all over your spots, the internet has brought allot of attention to the north end of the lake. All of my friends comment on how much more traffic there is now compared to just a couple of years ago. A wise man once told me don't leave fish to find fish, when you bump into walleyes they need to be harvested! I know they don't eat as good as stripers, but ...Hope you guys have a better trip next time!

I’ve had my current fishing boat for about 7 years.

One of the first trips I did was a spring trip to Powell. There were so few other boats it was almost spooky. As soon as we got out of Bullfrog, we didn't see anyone.

Got my attention enough that i went out and bought a kicker so that I would have a back up and could get back to the marina on my own should I have mechanical problems because there just weren’t any other boats around to help if needed.

It sure isn’t that way anymore. I’m not saying it is as crowded as a lake on the Front Range, but now it isn’t unusual for me to get up north and have boats in spots I have always fished solo.

All I’m saying is that I don’t think it’s just tournaments that are causing the added pressure on the lake.

I’ve had my current fishing boat for about 7 years.

One of the first trips I did was a spring trip to Powell. There were so few other boats it was almost spooky. As soon as we got out of Bullfrog, we didn't see anyone.

Got my attention enough that i went out and bought a kicker so that I would have a back up and could get back to the marina on my own should I have mechanical problems because there just weren’t any other boats around to help if needed.

It sure isn’t that way anymore. I’m not saying it is as crowded as a lake on the Front Range, but now it isn’t unusual for me to get up north and have boats in spots I have always fished solo.

All I’m saying is that I don’t think it’s just tournaments that are causing the added pressure on the lake.
Lots of advertising (videos) showing up on Youtube anymore are increasing the traffic as well.

:unsure: Sensing a lot of innuendo here... Don’t worry, I can take a hint.
No inuendo, just pointing out that I think it's a bit odd that you would complain about the quantity of people fishing up north with all the promotion that you have been doing. Just saying.............
If you don't want your sanctuary to be overrun, maybe you might want to cut back on the promotion. If you don't mind more company then by all means continue to promote it on Youtube but don't complain about the effect.

Only complained about the tournament. There were tournaments before I was born and there will be tournaments after I die. Obviously there is an underlying thought from you @Wet1 and others that I’ve opened the flood gates. I guess when it was shoulder to shoulder at Farley in the 80’s and 90’s they were watching YouTube too.

If there really is a thought like that I really am sorry. I don’t want to be the cause of anything of the sort. I honestly don’t feel like it’s any more crowded than it ever has been. My only frustration is big nice bass being taken out of the far north multiple times a year, but I guess as has been said that’s been happening for a while and will always happen. Powell has handled it. Maybe it seemed more tight cause in reality the lake is a lot smaller right now.

But If the thought is that we are ruining an area I will for sure tone down everything. I don’t want people mad or pointing blame at us. That’s not our effort, and I can handle that.

Only complained about the tournament. There were tournaments before I was born and there will be tournaments after I die. Obviously there is an underlying thought from you @Wet1 and others that I’ve opened the flood gates. I guess when it was shoulder to shoulder at Farley in the 80’s and 90’s they were watching YouTube too.

If there really is a thought like that I really am sorry. I don’t want to be the cause of anything of the sort. I honestly don’t feel like it’s any more crowded than it ever has been. My only frustration is big nice bass being taken out of the far north multiple times a year, but I guess as has been said that’s been happening for a while and will always happen. Powell has handled it. Maybe it seemed more tight cause in reality the lake is a lot smaller right now.

But If the thought is that we are ruining an area I will for sure tone down everything. I don’t want people mad or pointing blame at us. That’s not our effort, and I can handle that.
You can not and will not do everything the way everyone wants you to. More videos. Powell can be a zoo,Period. I try to avoid those times(we all know when they are coming.) Everyone has to deal with it the best they can. This sight was developed to share our love for Powell. Well now it is happening and btw been happening for over 25 years that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back