Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
So, before anyone gets their knickers in a bunch, I know that they are illegal at Powell, and because of that, I wouldn't be posting photos or videos of that here.

Since that is out of the way........

I have wanted a drone for quite a while. Finally pulled the trigger, and it arrived this week.

Was wondering if there is interest in following me post my progress, because I am as excited as a little kid at Christmas. If people would like to see me learn, and photos of places outside of Powell, I would be happy to share. If there isn't interest, I will move on.

One photo and one video just for fun.

PY573X8.jpg

The only difference between men and boys are there choice of toys :D have fun and if you spot any really big bucks let me know ;)

an excellent quality picture....very clear/crisp! Keep em coming......very unfortunate if the drone gets accidentally packed away in the boat!

Flying drones at Powell is done everyday, just don’t be stupid and nobody will care. Fly under rainbow and you will probably get it snatched away by a ranger, fly over other peoples camps and they may call you in if they are the edgy type, but if you are minding your own business and just using it in a canyon near your camp you will probably be ok even if you are spotted by a ranger, like walking a dog off leash. Morning and sunset are your best times of day for colors and shadows. High flights are safer but flat, low flights add depth but also add dangers. Take your time. Check out black sheep drones.

Some video of MOOSE doing what he was born to do would be cool as well.
That is on the agenda. But likely won't be until September, and will, at least at first, be when I have him out training. Need to figure out the "follow me" feature for that one.
an excellent quality picture....very clear/crisp! Keep em coming......very unfortunate if the drone gets accidentally packed away in the boat!
It is so small, It would fit in the glove box......
Flying drones at Powell is done everyday, just don’t be stupid and nobody will care. Fly under rainbow and you will probably get it snatched away by a ranger, fly over other peoples camps and they may call you in if they are the edgy type, but if you are minding your own business and just using it in a canyon near your camp you will probably be ok even if you are spotted by a ranger, like walking a dog off leash. Morning and sunset are your best times of day for colors and shadows. High flights are safer but flat, low flights add depth but also add dangers. Take your time. Check out black sheep drones.
I have found that if one searches on youtube for Lake Powell videos, most of them have some drone footage. This site just seems to be much more intolerant of any behavior that is against the rules/law. And I don't want to lead it into a discussion on that. So I likely won't post anything from Powell. Although if someone were to message me after a trip, I might have a link to send them.

Thanks for the tip on black sheep drones. I will check them out.

We are supposed to get some snow tonight/tomorrow. Weather permitting, I will try to get it out again this weekend.

cool pics....I am just amazed at the quality of the pics you are getting. Is your drone one of those DJI drones? (I believe that is the company) I read they just released a new one very recently.....called a Mavic Air I think. I'm curious. I entertain myself with those little $40 drones......but perhaps an upgrade is in order. thanx

cool pics....I am just amazed at the quality of the pics you are getting. Is your drone one of those DJI drones? (I believe that is the company) I read they just released a new one very recently.....called a Mavic Air I think. I'm curious. I entertain myself with those little $40 drones......but perhaps an upgrade is in order. thanx

I bought a DJI Mavic Pro. DJI has several different drones available right now, the Mavic was the one that fit most of what I wanted.

I have heard that they are coming out with a Mavic 2 in March or April. Which might bring the price of the Mavic Pro down.

It is amazing how simple they are to fly. And do basic photos/videos. Yet there are tons of ways to increase the quality of the videos. I just need to spend more time researching. My problem is every time I get it out, I want to fly it, not play with settings.

I've personally grown weary of internet postings of drone pix. They are all taking on the same droning oneness like selfies. They all look the same. But, if you have fun doing it, then go for it. When you have a pix of a real Martian or one of the worms from Dune, then I'm in.

I've personally grown weary of internet postings of drone pix. They are all taking on the same droning oneness like selfies. They all look the same. But, if you have fun doing it, then go for it. When you have a pix of a real Martian or one of the worms from Dune, then I'm in.
It does seem that we've become a society of self important people (obviously I'm including myself), where we think our lives, jobs or hobbies are more interesting than anyone else's. We tend to get a little upset when our Facebook post about our wonderful vacation only gets 22 likes and 4 shares(so much for "friends"). We should all do what we like and not worry so much about external acceptance/acclimation.

It does seem that we've become a society of self important people (obviously I'm including myself), where we think our lives, jobs or hobbies are more interesting than anyone else's. We tend to get a little upset when our Facebook post about our wonderful vacation only gets 22 likes and 4 shares(so much for "friends"). We should all do what we like and not worry so much about external acceptance/acclimation.
Well put. I'm kinda ashamed to not have a ton of pictures for the favorite picture forum but the reason is they are all stored in my mind.

LOL I have these two tabs open right now...
DJI - Mavic Pro Quadcopter with Remote Controller - Gray
and
DJI - Phantom 4 Pro Quadcopter - White

Just be smart with the thing! There are a few idiots here in CO that the FAA will be visiting soon after their posts on youtube.

I like Ken Heron's videos on youtube, as well as Ed Ricker Vlogs also on youtube.

The first videos I ever saw were "Slow stick over Powell" or something like that. Fascinating stuff to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back