CAUTION, LOW WATER

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was definitely a rookie move! Also, to add insult to injury, we fish hard for three days and only caught two fish. I hope to have it repaired by our next trip on the 5th.

Can I still get to Stanton Creek Campground from Bullfrog with the pontoon?
STAY IN THE RIVERBED. Not a problem, we drove to the end of the North fork of Stanton where we normally camp and it would be a long steep walk to the water.from where we normally camp. Very few spots to beach a boat. Glad we didn’t try to camp there this trip or for the next 60 days. I was surprised both A. & B. loops at the campground were open & maintained. Rich is doing a good job with the restrooms. Sq

It almost got me today. Just launched from bullfrog this morning, camping in Stanton, got LUCKY, was by myself, light was right, saw it get super shallow right as I got up to it, shut it down and hit reverse and missed it. Sq is right, SKETCHY! Right in the middle of the lake, very unsuspecting. There is one small water bottle marking it that I saw just in time, but no bouy. Be very cautious heading north out of BF or Halls.

It almost got me today. Just launched from bullfrog this morning, camping in Stanton, got LUCKY, was by myself, light was right, saw it get super shallow right as I got up to it, shut it down and hit reverse and missed it. Sq is right, SKETCHY! Right in the middle of the lake, very unsuspecting. There is one small water bottle marking it that I saw just in time, but no bouy. Be very cautious heading north out of BF or Halls.
The rock I hit was 50 yards North of the water bottle. We noticed the water bottle afterwards.

That's making me shake a little for our trip down south. Sorry for the skeg mountainman. I guess sooner ar later it's gonna happen. I've taken out one skeg and can't remember how many props after thousands of miles on the lake. Can't expect miracles all the time.

Thanks for the update about Stanton Creek camping. We are going to Bullfrog in two weeks. We need to beach our houseboat at Hobie Cat beach for a few hours for loading etc. Is there a problem beaching there? Thanks.

STAY IN THE RIVERBED. Not a problem, we drove to the end of the North fork of Stanton where we normally camp and it would be a long steep walk to the water.from where we normally camp. Very few spots to beach a boat. Glad we didn’t try to camp there this trip or for the next 60 days. I was surprised both A. & B. loops at the campground were open & maintained. Rich is doing a good job with the restrooms. Sq
This exactly! I about soiled my pants a couple times (I was just lucky not skilled) before I started only running at speed in the channel. After slow trolling or putting along in the shallows to mark trails on my fish finder, I will go all out away from the river channel. Gets much worse up near the mudline, you really have to trust your sounder and charts. Going 40 mph through a muddy channel and having my wife ask "Wow is it really 5,
' deep here?" (it was) was enough to make me pay attention to the fish finder!!!

I don’t know if these pix will help. The first one with all the Red is 10’ of water or less off Stanton. My boat was on the outside of the low water. The second pix is a shot of the haystacks from that spot. Not a very good shot of the haystacks. It’s just left out of frame. Sq

Attachments

• 97DF97A1-CF69-4836-BE67-B72A7379BC13.jpeg
    97DF97A1-CF69-4836-BE67-B72A7379BC13.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 216
  • B820E09B-1427-44CF-994F-5CA81DA2C070.jpeg
    B820E09B-1427-44CF-994F-5CA81DA2C070.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Been here all week enjoying the lake (seemingly to ourselves). There is a DANGER buoy between the BF1 buoy and the main channel buoy in front of Halls Marina that marks the end of this rock reef sticking out from the Haystacks area, but the danger zone extends probably a quarter mile out into the lake. I'm kind of a scaredy-cat when it comes to whamming into underwater objects with my prop or skeg, so coming from Bullfrog I followed the channel buoys all the way and hugged the last of Hall's Marina houseboat buoy line. Then it was clear sailing all the way uplake.

As far as the whale in Hansen, someone was kind enough to haul a pile of rocks out to it and stack them up so you can see them. Whew, glad they did that!

You guys have me scared to go anywhere on the lake right now! Even worse, I have planned a family reunion out of stanton creek the first week of june. Hopefully we get some good rise of the water so we can keep our plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back