Best Tent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Hoping for a trip later this month. Houseboat is out of the water getting repowered. Weighing options of staying in the Defiance House, or tenting it.

It's been years since I have done that type of "camping", and will need to buy a tent if we go that route. The Alaskan Guide tents at Cabelas show good reviews - until you actually read them. So I don't trust that. But I do trust my fellow Wordlings. What is your suggestion?

Ryan,
I've used the Alaskan Guide tent so many times at Powell, at least for some 10 plus years, plus Alaska twice, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado, usually in not so good weather, it has been great, the only thing for me is the almost outdated poles, but that is part of what makes it a very strong tent. A little heavy, for my smaller boat, fine in the truck. I've never had any issues with it at all, I use a Big Buddy stove in it in the winter and elk hunting. Overall no problems.
Rich

Ryan,
I also have the six man, great for just one, I've had 4 in it also and you can still have room to cook and move about. Rain or snow hasn't had any affects on it. Pretty solid. In the sand I add heavy rocks to the ground stakes.

Love my Kodiak Canvas, A Kirkham's knock off so to speak, more reasonable priced. Great quality easy set up handles wind well very durable. They are a bit heavy but a great option. Have used mine at Powell, turkey hunts bowhunts and more... I have the 6 man, it is a great 2 to 3 person with gear set up, yes you can stuff 6 in it. I use cots so I can store gear underneath beds to save space.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I already have the port-a-potty covered.

My recent experience with Cabelas gear (post Bass Pro) hasn't been great. I wonder if the tents that they sell today are as good as the one WaterDog owns?

I have a spring bar/ kirkhams canvas tent that is made in Salt Lake City. I have used this brand for over 35 years, these are quality tents. I can set mine up alone and you can stand up in them. They are great in the wind as they are designed to withstand wind. It is heavy, I believe around 80 pounds but I have a Cabela’s 4 man that I don’t even use anymore. Go to spring bar.com or kirkhams.com and read about them. We have used them with youth and scouts for several decades and they even held up to that. I have the high line 8. Any questions or if you want to talk PM me. Wish you lived closer you could take it and try it.

Sounds like you’re looking for more of a quick fix (one trip)? If that’s the case get the $20 3/4 man wal mart ones. Used them a lot and we survived. If money, weight, and non quick fix is the what you’re looking for I add my two cents on the spring bar. Kodak canvas 6 man, it’s a beast in every way, heavy but will withstand anything, stand up inside etc is always nice.

I will have to give a second or third on the Kodiak 10x10 canvas tent(flex bow). Quality canvas tent at a reasonable price. Total weight about 75 lbs, one bag for the tent 35 lbs, and one bag for the poles and stakes 38 lbs. A Quick 2 to 3 day delivery.
One person can set up without any trouble. Tent can take the wind.

Springbar or Kodak. Very expensive but when the wind is howling and you wake up in the middle of the night with your 6 foot high wet nylon tent pushed flat on your face by the wind you will wish you had bought one. Ask me how I know. ;)

TR

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think the cheap WalMart tent is the way to go. I’d hate to have it destroyed by wind on the first day of the trip.
Lots of good feedback on Kodiak.

This one seems pretty similar to the Kodiak 10x10.
Thoughts?

0F5D7448-E3F9-4D66-9E43-033D744C478E.jpeg

It has taken a lifetime to learn, but buying a quality product is way cheaper in the long run. Sometimes hard to do because of life’s circumstances but quality and longevity pay off. I still find myself habitually debating prices on “just getting by, good, better, and best”. By the way, we went with the 10x 10 model that had the side vents in anticipation of warm Powell nights. The previous threads on WW last year influenced me on which way to jump on getting new tent.

The 8.5 x 6 ft tent is a craw in tent for two at the max, no storage. For a little more money a whole lot more tent.

Ryan,
When exactly are you going, I am going first part of April, for a long trip downlake and won't be using the Cabelas you can use it if you don't want to buy one, I know the doubt of doing that, but after an Alaskan moose hunt depending on the outfitter to supply a tent for our trip out in the tundra for a total of 17 days mostly rain, some snow and an awful lot of wind, the tent was this Alaskan Guide Tent, that is the reason I bought one, as several Hilleberg Tents that I have used at Powell, though these are way to expensive for just a 1 time use.
Like I said, if you want to use it, you can, I could possibly meet you at the I70 exit ramp in Eagle, if I'm around, let me know.

RyanUOTE="Ryan, post: 35230, member: 15"]
Hoping for a trip later this month. Houseboat is out of the water getting repowered. Weighing options of staying in the Defiance House, or tenting it.

It's been years since I have done that type of "camping", and will need to buy a tent if we go that route. The Alaskan Guide tents at Cabelas show good reviews - until you actually read them. So I don't trust that. But I do trust my fellow Wordlings. What is your suggestion?
[/QUOTE]
Ry

Ryan,
When exactly are you going, I am going first part of April, for a long trip downlake and won't be using the Cabelas you can use it if you don't want to buy one, I know the doubt of doing that, but after an Alaskan moose hunt depending on the outfitter to supply a tent for our trip out in the tundra for a total of 17 days mostly rain, some snow and an awful lot of wind, the tent was this Alaskan Guide Tent, that is the reason I bought one, as several Hilleberg Tents that I have used at Powell, though these are way to expensive for just a 1 time use.
Like I said, if you want to use it, you can, I could possibly meet you at the I70 exit ramp in Eagle, if I'm around, let me know.
That is a very generous offer. It sounds like you have had very good luck with the Cabelas tent, that speaks volumes.

I'm not one that likes to borrow things, I'd hate to have something happen to it while it is in my care.

Right now, I'm leaning towards that 10' x 10' Kodiak tent, found it online for $399 for the basic one. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

Our trip is planned for the end of the month, but with everything that is going on, I'm not sure of anything with certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back