Would appreciate thoughts regarding fishing conditions 5/20-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new member to this forum and would greatly appreciate people's thoughts regarding how the upcoming (current) cold front will effect fishing next week. I've been planning a fishing trip there next week and was getting very excited about the water level and temps until I heard about the upcoming cold front (I read Wayne's take on it in his fishing report). I'm planning on boat camping and doing nothing but fishing for four days (mainly stripers); however, it's looking as though next week may not be very good, given the water temperature, chance of rain and cooler nights. Unfortunately, I won't have time off again until mid-June which will be pretty hot. I'm coming up from Phoenix and am having a difficult time deciding whether or not to cancel the trip. If the chances of high wind and rain were higher, I'd definitely postpone.
Thanks for any advice.

I’d say go for it but find a spot where you have a little protection just in case. Tie everything down really good too and take down your tent before you leave camp if you think weather might come in. The lake is unpredictable for several months so you kind of have to go with it and hope for the best. Sometimes a little weather creates amazing views and scares the riffraff away so you have the whole lake all to yourself ;-)

I’d say go for it but find a spot where you have a little protection just in case. Tie everything down really good too and take down your tent before you leave camp if you think weather might come in. The lake is unpredictable for several months so you kind of have to go with it and hope for the best. Sometimes a little weather creates amazing views and scares the riffraff away so you have the whole lake all to yourself ;-)
Chris,
Thank you for the advice. The part about keeping crowds away sounds appealing.

If the current weather trends continue, it may finally warm up in mid-June. We will be down for Memorial Day weekend launching from Halls Crossing. I don't expect the fishing to be great after this front moves through, but hey it's Lake Powell. Weather Underground is very accurate and gives anticipated winds, and changes in barometer.

If the current weather trends continue, it may finally warm up in mid-June. We will be down for Memorial Day weekend launching from Halls Crossing. I don't expect the fishing to be great after this front moves through, but hey it's Lake Powell. Weather Underground is very accurate and gives anticipated winds, and changes in barometer.
John,
Thanks. Given how crazy (cool) this Spring has been, who knows, it could actually still be relatively nice in June.

I went middle June last year. It was warm, but being from Phoenix it wasn't anything crazy. Wear a big hat and dunk it if/when necessary. If you have a little shade top for your boat all the better. The fishing was amazing for smallmouth and striper. The cut will be open by then which might make the trip a little better, depending on your itinerary. And it might be a little cooler this time around based on the longer, milder Spring.

I'm sure either way you'll have a good time and catch fish. I'm heading up May 31.

I went middle June last year. It was warm, but being from Phoenix it wasn't anything crazy. Wear a big hat and dunk it if/when necessary. If you have a little shade top for your boat all the better. The fishing was amazing for smallmouth and striper. The cut will be open by then which might make the trip a little better, depending on your itinerary. And it might be a little cooler this time around based on the longer, milder Spring.

I'm sure either way you'll have a good time and catch fish. I'm heading up May 31.
AzTacoma,
That is VERY helpful information. If it was reasonable last year (which was a hot one), this year should be ok. When I was much younger, back in the mid-1980's, we would spend the first week of June on a houseboat at Powell (fishing, skiing, etc,). It was hot during mid-day but tolerable. Nights were gorgeous. It was a much different lake back then; this will be my first trip back since 1986. Thanks again for the insight.

If the weather isn't too bad and you have the right gear, I say go for it. Some of my best fishing trips have been during fronts moving through. As I found out last Saturday, blue skies and no wind maybe great for fishermen but not so great for smallie activity. At least not where I was.

I just got off the lake at Bull frog . From what I gathered from the captain there at the Marina they are preparing for a very windy week . They are batting the hatches down . Lake Powell is a amazing place to be respected of her nature . I've spent days and nights in coves not being able to get out because of 4 foot waves . I just ran the lake from Wahweap to Bull frog this morning. There is alot of hazardous materials floating in the main channel . Logs and sticks and stuff . I been going to the lake for a while . And I would advise you to be on your guard and don't take anything for granted with the weather this week . Good luck with whatever you decide to do . But this is a couple big time fast moving jet stream storms .

Tough fishing in those conditions. Be aware that the lake has risen 10+ feet and the new shoreline won't be holding fish for a while. They'll be out deeper. The wind and low pressure systems may shut the fish bite off and cool the water. Not to be too cynical but Powell may not be the best place to be under those conditions. Good luck and be safe.

Just got home from the lake and the conditions when we left we’re not good with gusty winds at around 40 mph. I am with Chris, tie everything down, the wind was trying at times in camp and blowing sand everywhere. You can get out of it if you are careful. Be careful. Have a safe trip. The small mouth fishing was awesome with Ned rigs. I will post about our trip later tonight.

If the weather isn't too bad and you have the right gear, I say go for it. Some of my best fishing trips have been during fronts moving through. As I found out last Saturday, blue skies and no wind maybe great for fishermen but not so great for smallie activity. At least not where I was.
Thank you.

I just got off the lake at Bull frog . From what I gathered from the captain there at the Marina they are preparing for a very windy week . They are batting the hatches down . Lake Powell is a amazing place to be respected of her nature . I've spent days and nights in coves not being able to get out because of 4 foot waves . I just ran the lake from Wahweap to Bull frog this morning. There is alot of hazardous materials floating in the main channel . Logs and sticks and stuff . I been going to the lake for a while . And I would advise you to be on your guard and don't take anything for granted with the weather this week . Good luck with whatever you decide to do . But this is a couple big time fast moving jet stream storms .
I greatly appreciate the update and warning. We've already been getting quite a bit of wind in Phoenix the past two days.

Tough fishing in those conditions. Be aware that the lake has risen 10+ feet and the new shoreline won't be holding fish for a while. They'll be out deeper. The wind and low pressure systems may shut the fish bite off and cool the water. Not to be too cynical but Powell may not be the best place to be under those conditions. Good luck and be safe.
These posts are exactly the type of input I was looking for and are extremely helpful. Thanks.

Just got home from the lake and the conditions when we left we’re not good with gusty winds at around 40 mph. I am with Chris, tie everything down, the wind was trying at times in camp and blowing sand everywhere. You can get out of it if you are careful. Be careful. Have a safe trip. The small mouth fishing was awesome with Ned rigs. I will post about our trip later tonight.
Thanks. Sounds as though it may be best to postpone the trip. Camping in those conditions is a pain.

Thanks Wayne. I've decided to postpone until June. Although it will be fairly warm, camping will be easier and fishing conditions should still be good.

Air temperature was 48 early this morning. Water temp dropped down to 61.8. We have a 10 mile wind blowing now with rain on the way. Windy again tomorrow. Looks like you made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back