What are the best hikes in the San Juan?

Peek-a-boo May not be accessible at this water level. I've hike up Cha Canyon a few times. There's a trail that parallels the usually dry creek bed. About a mile up the creek it forks and there is a number of huge boulders at the confluence of the two canyons. The boulders have numerous authentic petroglyphs and a couple that are graffiti including one that says "Tuba City Mustangs". There has also been a wild horse hanging out there then the last time there was a burro. Take water. Chuck
 
From Wilson Creek, you can access Wilson Mesa and hike north towards Aladdin's Lamp Pass on the far less popular portion of the Hole in the Rock road. I have done this twice. I've always wanted to hike one-way to Cottonwood with another boat there waiting to pick up some weary hikers and return to Wilson Creek, but I have not done that yet. This is a difficult hike for experienced hikers only- ZERO help up there. It is beautiful and you will not see anyone else. There are a bunch of cool things up on the Mesa. If you want specific directions to the "trail" message me.
 
Peek-a-boo May not be accessible at this water level. I've hike up Cha Canyon a few times. There's a trail that parallels the usually dry creek bed. About a mile up the creek it forks and there is a number of huge boulders at the confluence of the two canyons. The boulders have numerous authentic petroglyphs and a couple that are graffiti including one that says "Tuba City Mustangs". There has also been a wild horse hanging out there then the last time there was a burro. Take water. Chuck
It's a long way, but you can continue up the West Fork of Cha all the way to its junction with the North Rainbow Bridge Trail. At its junction is a campsite where Teddy Roosevelt spent the night on his way to Rainbow Bridge. I did this one time many years ago, and it is a very long way. I don't remember the mileage, but it takes many hours. Except for The Author- he did it in 20 minutes!
 
Jack’s Arch at the San Juan/Main Channel confluence is a great little hike, about 45 min - 1 Hr each way right now. The link below is an excellent guide. Lately, with all the growth, we’ve found the best path is along the wash, up a small hill to a flat walk paralleling the cliffs on the right.

IMG_0467.jpeg
 
Back
Top