Water elevation gain

KYKevin

I keep thinking about 1983, anyone remember that year, they were real concerned about the Glen canyon dam breaking, because so much water going over, it was eating the bed rock out. So they put up an 8ft gate, so it would'nt. They say history repeat's itself. I hope this is the year. I know it was not this low that year, but it wouldnt have to be if the same amount of water as 1983 go's in to Powell. Every lake in the western U.S., was full that year, now wouldnt that take care of our water problem's? Just something to think about. And how's that for optimism.
Have a good one all.
KyKevin

Steve Moore

I keep thinking about 1983, anyone remember that year, they were real concerned about the Glen canyon dam breaking, because so much water going over, it was eating the bed rock out. So they put up an 8ft gate, so it would'nt. They say history repeat's itself. I hope this is the year. I know it was not this low that year, but it wouldnt have to be if the same amount of water as 1983 go's in to Powell. Every lake in the western U.S., was full that year, now wouldnt that take care of our water problem's? Just something to think about. And how's that for optimism.
Have a good one all.
KyKevin
What a year a difference can make. KY Kevin I lived in Meeker that year. Shoveled my roof 3 times.

Last edited by a moderator:

KYKevin

I've shoveled mine twice this year, and I hope I have to again, and we have had a great year in Utah so far, I love this pattern we are in, hope it keeps up through the spring. Steve, have you been down for the Striper's?
You can never count out mother nature, and I've been telling my friend's, that Powell is coming up 40 to 50 ft this year, and I have a dollar to bet on it all so, for all the better's out there.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
My boss, Richard Hepworth is at Fish Lake today preparing for the Perch Tournament tomorrow. He sent me a picture of him shoveling 2 feet of snow off the roof of the DWR Fish Lake Cabin. I hope the 3000 anglers signed up for the perch tournament can find the lake under all that snow, drill holes in the ice and catch some nice tagged perch to win a bunch of prizes. Looks like the storm is moving on and the tournament will be held as planned.

Steve Moore

I've shoveled mine twice this year, and I hope I have to again, and we have had a great year in Utah so far, I love this pattern we are in, hope it keeps up through the spring. Steve, have you been down for the Striper's?
You can never count out mother nature, and I've been telling my friend's, that Powell is coming up 40 to 50 ft this year, and I have a dollar to bet on it all so, for all the better's out there.
I have not been down. We pulled the Hooligan Too for repairs. Wayne sure makes it sound inviting though.

Jimbo

Have a good one all.
KyKevin
There is a 2 part series on YouTube about that year. Pretty scary what could have happened.
It scoured out a concrete diversion tunnel and was digging into sand stone. They relieved
the water volume just in time to avoid major issue.

mtnpull

I am really loving this winter! For many reasons. The water content is so needed for local reservoirs, our summer irrigation, and of course to fill my favorite fishery. But it is also so good for the local economy and my business is make or break with snow and last year almost broke us. On top of it all, the snow is so much fun to play in!4113

birdsnest

Have a good one all.
KyKevin
By the way, the 8' gates were sheets of plywood.

treetop

I am really loving this winter! For many reasons. The water content is so needed for local reservoirs, our summer irrigation, and of course to fill my favorite fishery. But it is also so good for the local economy and my business is make or break with snow and last year almost broke us. On top of it all, the snow is so much fun to play in!View attachment 4113
Hey Adam, what happens when you’re riding in 6 feet of powder and you have to stop that thing? How could you ever get it stood back up and then climb aboard? Sure looks fun though!

mtnpull

Hey Adam, what happens when you’re riding in 6 feet of powder and you have to stop that thing? How could you ever get it stood back up and then climb aboard? Sure looks fun though!
The key is to not put your foot down to balance you. The track is 12.5" wide and the ski is wide so they will balance themselves quite well as long as when you stop you don't lean over to try and stabilize yourself. But I will say there is still times that you dump a bike over and it's a bit of a chore to get it upright again. The fun factor way outweighs the extra work every now and then of picking one up. Plus you wouldn't believe the places and canyons you can get into with these things!