Walleye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually catch several while fishing for stripers. There is so much bait this, that I didn’t catch one my last trip two weeks ago.

Ive consistently caught Walleye by trolling a deep crank bait (ones that swim 20 plus feet deep like a Bomber Deep Fat Free Shad) across a shallower outcropping of land or rock at about the 15 foot deep point.

If you do this, the lure will drag along the bottom and as you come off the back-side of the shallower spot and start getting deeper, we always seem to get the Walleye right there.

Ive consistently caught Walleye by trolling a deep crank bait (ones that swim 20 plus feet deep like a Bomber Deep Fat Free Shad) across a shallower outcropping of land or rock at about the 15 foot deep point.

If you do this, the lure will drag along the bottom and as you come off the back-side of the shallower spot and start getting deeper, we always seem to get the Walleye right there.
Thanks Chris I'm definitely going to give it a shot

The old Waterdog Bombers were great for catching 'Walleye Pike' in late 70s early 80s.View attachment 6158
I was cleaning an old tackle box this weekend and I still have several water dogs from the Yuba walleye heydays. I will be trying them next trip to Powell, don’t know why they have dust on them they worked really well in yuba, like you said in the 70’s and 80’s.

I was cleaning an old tackle box this weekend and I still have several water dogs from the Yuba walleye heydays. I will be trying them next trip to Powell, don’t know why they have dust on them they worked really well in yuba, like you said in the 70’s and 80’s.
The bombers sound like a good plan have you guys ever used dipsy divers and crawler harnes fow walleye

The bombers sound like a good plan have you guys ever used dipsy divers and crawler harnes fow walleye
I have not but I know there are a lot of people who do. My old walleye habits die hard. Tried a crawler harmless once but it was when nothing was working, didn’t work so I figured “ it didn’t work” I am not hard headed!!

I loved live water dogs, they were great bait back in the day, not legal anymore cause I guess they were too good? I guess this is why we used to call them pike and not just walleye. Where did you find that?
Dang! I loved water dogs and boy was I disappointed when we couldn’t use them anymore.

I caught a fifteen inch trout out of a WY. lake this year and it had a 5 inch water dog in it . I think water dogs are native?

I think water dogs are native?
"Water Dogs" are the immature form of salamander species, so they are native to any area that has salamanders. There's a small(30' across) catchpond in the mountains near me that has dozens of them swimming during the summer. I've thought about trying to fly fish for them, but never have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back