Walleye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think water dogs are native?

tiger salamanders are a native species in Utah and Arizona. "Waterdogs" are the larval form of a salamander.

The regulations are somewhat interesting for Utah, in that you can collect and posses them -- but you cannot posses them while fishing in Utah. Arizona also has some regulatory restrictions on salamanders, but only in certain areas. Don't quote me on this, but I think it is legal to fish with salamanders on the Arizona side of Lake Powell. Just don't cross into Utah with them and fishing gear together!

I remember back in the days of the Rainbow Bridge Marina, they sold water dogs there. They also had a cut out in the dock where they would throw the dead ones. The stripers would go nuts for them.

I have used water dogs for brook trout, largemouth, smallmouth, and tiger musky. They worked great for catching big fish of all those species. Too bad they aren't allowed anymore.

"Water Dogs" are the immature form of salamander species, so they are native to any area that has salamanders. There's a small(30' across) catchpond in the mountains near me that has dozens of them swimming during the summer. I've thought about trying to fly fish for them, but never have.
I watched a king Fisher bird pull 3 of them out of a water tank near flagstaff while on my archery hunt last month. Took me a while to decide whether they were water dogs or tadpoles, but my bino's helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back