Top water baits - Whats you favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipper

I lost my box of top water baits two years ago and have not replaced them yet. I used to have a large supply of skitter pops - 4 sizes of Zara spooks and a few other walk the dog types. I love to catch stripers in boils and bass in the mornings on top water. I have $300 worth of Bass pro shop gift certificates that I need to burn up, just looking for suggestions on what works good just in case I have been missing out on something. I would rather catch one on top water than two on a kast master. I used to have a favorite skitter pop that they quit making about 10 years ago, had at least 5 or 6 of them at all times for the boils.

Whopper Plopper!!!
For Powell I prefer the 90 size, but they just came out with a smaller 75 size which may be better for slurps and less aggressive fish. We have had many all day long bites this time of year on this bait! They are so simple to throw and retrieve, even a kid can catch fish on these with just a straight retrieve! Or you can get more advanced with a walk-the-dog or pop-r retrieve.
And best of all you can fish them through almost anything without getting hung up! Bring on the those LM way back in the brush!!! Haha

Last edited:
Whopper Plopper!!!
For Powell I prefer the 90 size, but they just came out with a smaller 75 size which may be better for slurps and less aggressive fish. We have had many all day long bites this time of year on this bait! They are so simple to throw and retrieve, even a kid can catch fish on these with just a straight retrieve! Or you can get more advanced with a walk-the-dog or pop-r retrieve.
And best of all you can fish them through almost anything without getting hung up! Bring on the those LM way back in the brush!!! Haha

OK Russell you talked me into it. I am ordering a size 90 Whopper Plopper.

I can catch all the stripers I want in boils on a 3" wild eye swim shad that you can buy at wall mart for a buck a piece. They are not very durable but they are deadly if they are boiling. I just love to watch they play volleyball with a skitter pop or Zara Spook. I have taken the hooks off before just to watch they whack it 20 times before you could get it back to the boat. I am going to buy a box of top waters next time I'm at Cabela's. I get in a habit of using what has worked in the past and I am hesitant of trying new things. Never used a ned rig till this spring, and now you can bet I won't be with out a good supply from now on. Always trying to learn something new. Thanks to every one for their opinion. Now I have to look all these up and see where to get them.

OK Russell you talked me into it. I am ordering a size 90 Whopper Plopper.

Wayne,
You won't regret it! They are the most versatile top water lures I have ever used.
We are so excited for our annual Labor Day Powell trip this year with the high water. The bushy backs of coves will be jam packed with LM just waiting to steal our lures from each other! I can't wait for that first double hookup!

Attachments

• IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 143
Looked up all the baits mentioned above. All looked like good options. Especially intrigued by the Whopper plopper. The reviews on it were outstanding. Has any body else noticed that Bass pro shops prices have went up 30 to 50 % since they bought out Cabela's. Where's a good discount online discount fishing supply store? I can use my gift certificates for hunting boots or archery supplies when they go on sale.
Have hooked 2 fish on the same lure a dozen times or so, small mouth and stripers. Never caught 2 different fish though like Wayne had.
Thanks for every ones input!

My fav is the bone colored jumpin minnow. Second would be a silver/blue Zara spook. Heading down tomorrow so was going through the tackle box the clean things up and see what I had or needed. Everything in the pic below has been added to my arsenal per Mr. Gustaveson’s recommendation over the last 10-20 years or however long.... I’ve caught tons of stripers on everything you see in the pic. Thx Wayne! Good luck Flipper!

Attachments

• AD8693F5-FDAD-4980-9C65-0717279445D2.jpeg
    AD8693F5-FDAD-4980-9C65-0717279445D2.jpeg
    559.8 KB · Views: 117
Ok, I am going to also order the 90 in "I know it" and "Bone"

Has anyone looked at the double plopper?

It's on sale at cabela's right now. Like the single hook - great for boil fishing.

If you don't mind waiting (and I mean REALLY waiting) you could always try aliexpress.com.
I was SUPER skeptic when I heard about ordering these Chinese knockoffs the first time, but figured I would give it a try. I wanted to let my kids use a whopper plopper, but was leery about giving a kid a $12.00+ lure on a light rod with light line. So I found these. I ordered 4 of them last year for just over $10.00! They work perfect! The ones I got last year are just slightly smaller than the real thing (like an 80 size), but they throw and run exactly the same as the real thing. Perfect for a kid pole, or someone who doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a lure.
I actually just ordered 7 more of them for just over $20.00, because I like the others so much and now they have new colors :D. You can let anyone throw one of these without worrying about the price tag, and they work just like the real thing. But as I mentioned it takes a good 45 days before they get to you... So if you don't mind waiting they are a good buy! The one below is my wife's favorite color! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back