• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Three days in bullfrog and halls

POk3s

It’s worth mentioning that in my very, extremely limited time on Powell and even more limited experience catching stripers, we did okay with gulp minnows. Don’t have to worry about them turning to mush, they’re scented, and they catch fish. My first trip to Powell I dropped down a jig head with a gulp minnow after trolling for an hour or so with no results and as it was falling a striper nailed it. I thought I was in for the most epic trip of my lifetime, but those experiences were few and far between. Anyway, it’s a worthwhile artificial to bring with you on your next trip to Powell!

mcstriper

For those in the Southern CA area we caught many grunion on the runs last year and brought them on our trip to Powell at the end of July. We were successful as we were able to land stripers with them. The good thing about grunion is that they are durable even when they are thawed and don't melt off your hook like thawed anchovies. So if you've never been on a grunion run give it a try and store them in your freezer and bring them to Powell. We always get a block of dry ice to try and extend the frozen state of our cut baits.

Not Yet You Bet

Not sure, but would grunion be legal to use as bait in Lake Powell? Proclamation states the type of minnows that can be used with special regs for Lake Powell. Covers commercially processed but privately processed (frozen) probably not included. If you said they were anchovies most would probably not know the difference. Just thought I Would ask.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Not sure, but would grunion be legal to use as bait in Lake Powell? Proclamation states the type of minnows that can be used with special regs for Lake Powell. Covers commercially processed but privately processed (frozen) probably not included. If you said they were anchovies most would probably not know the difference. Just thought I Would ask.
"Dead, fresh or frozen saltwater species, including sardines and anchovies may be used as bait in any UT water where bait is permitted. Grunion would be legal to use just like anchovies."

Havalina

I haven't used fresh striper as bait, mostly because I think there is more scent on the anchovies. Has anyone tried applying any scent to their bait (particularly striper meat)?
I actually use the smelly jelly anchovy or anise and the latter works the best. The big issue with it is water temp, if it is warm it is off in 10 min. Then if it is cold less than 60 degrees it doesn’t come off. I am actually going to grind up anchovies this fall and add it to some lanolin for my striper scent. The lanolin does not seem to spook the fish. My great uncle actually invented Quana bait in west Texas back in the forties for catfish. He just used lanolin, molasses, and ground up minnows. Just remember no petroleum products to include wd40, lets keep, our waters clean.

Scheadhunter

I haven't used fresh striper as bait, mostly because I think there is more scent on the anchovies. Has anyone tried applying any scent to their bait (particularly striper meat)?
No need to add scent. Cut striper works as well or better than chovy. I fillet a striper, cut the filets into chunks with the skin on. I chum a few small chunks and let the school congregate. We either flyline or fish a chunk on a small lead head. I would rather fish artificials every time but sometimes they want the bait And when they do I’m happy to feed it to them with a hook in it.
Also pop a couple fillets in the freezer with the skin on and save them for the next run. Find a school, chunk them up, let the school congregate and here we go again