• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Three days in bullfrog and halls

07 JK

Just got home from three good days fishing bullfrog and halls, when we were launching Thursday morning we talked to a couple different fishermen who gave us the grim news they had both been on the water for two days with no luck, not what we wanted to hear. We started out trolling in bullfrog and picked up a few. Then went around in to halls and caught several more jigging and anchovies. Big thanks for all the post that have helped me figure out how and what to use.

KYKevin

Just got home from three good days fishing bullfrog and halls, when we were launching Thursday morning we talked to a couple different fishermen who gave us the grim news they had both been on the water for two days with no luck, not what we wanted to hear. We started out trolling in bullfrog and picked up a few. Then went around in to halls and caught several more jigging and anchovies. Big thanks for all the post that have helped me figure out how and what to use.
What were you using and what depth were you catching your fish in? Beside's the Chovy's.
Thank's

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
That makes me feel so good that the information presented here really works and that those that post their results do it to share with fishermen who will come later. It works both ways. All can read the details, prepare well and then catch fish in this large reservoir. Thank you for posting good fishing results.

Grant2

We just got home also and did not have a single bite for three days. Everyone we talked to, who had success, were using anchovies. We worked upper Bullfrog and Crystal and Hansen Creeks. Graphed a lot of fish in upper ends of both canyons at 25-40' water depth. We tried everything from walleye assassins, to Wallylures, crankbaits and Ned rigs. Both Jigging and trolling presentations. One couple we spoke with were both fishing differently. He was working the artificial lures and she was dunking anchovies. She caught all the fish! Guess I need to learn how to rig those nasty anchovies, LOL! Despite not catching any fish, it was a fun weekend. Got to test out the new Lund in some big wind waves and it was a relatively dry ride. Didn't try to sink it like my ranger many years ago in Padre Bay on the way to a Shad Rally!

KYKevin

We just got home also and did not have a single bite for three days. Everyone we talked to, who had success, were using anchovies. We worked upper Bullfrog and Crystal and Hansen Creeks. Graphed a lot of fish in upper ends of both canyons at 25-40' water depth. We tried everything from walleye assassins, to Wallylures, crankbaits and Ned rigs. Both Jigging and trolling presentations. One couple we spoke with were both fishing differently. He was working the artificial lures and she was dunking anchovies. She caught all the fish! Guess I need to learn how to rig those nasty anchovies, LOL! Despite not catching any fish, it was a fun weekend. Got to test out the new Lund in some big wind waves and it was a relatively dry ride. Didn't try to sink it like my ranger many years ago in Padre Bay on the way to a Shad Rally!
Sorry to hear you never caught any. I have never been to Powell on a Striper trip, and not had Chovy's with me. Chovy's have saved a many of trip's for me. Not saying that you are one of them, but I have heard a many of guy's say I would not have those stinking Chovy's in my boat. And mind you, I don't have a real nice boat. But my hat is off to you for giving a report.
Did you graph fish in Hansen creek?
Thank's

Grant2

The upper part of Hansen creek was thick with fish on the graph. The water was 25-40' deep and slightly stained. About two bends before the water ends. My main issue with anchovies is not knowing how to rig them. I have tried them in years past, but they always turn to mush since I haven't figured out how to keep them frozen. It's hard to put mush on a hook 😃

KYKevin

The upper part of Hansen creek was thick with fish on the graph. The water was 25-40' deep and slightly stained. About two bends before the water ends. My main issue with anchovies is not knowing how to rig them. I have tried them in years past, but they always turn to mush since I haven't figured out how to keep them frozen. It's hard to put mush on a hook 😃
Winter time is not near as hard to keep them from turning to soft, but summer time is another story. I like Mackerel better then Chovy's, they stay more firm.

Grant2

Holy Mackerel! What kind of mackerel do you get? I'm assuming canned with skin on from the grocery store? I'm not against anchovies, but just never figured out how to make them work without a freezer on the boat.

Grant2

07 JK, I apologize. I just realized I hijacked your thread. Thank you for sharing your experience. I will start a new thread about using anchovies.

KYKevin

Holy Mackerel! What kind of mackerel do you get? I'm assuming canned with skin on from the grocery store? I'm not against anchovies, but just never figured out how to make them work without a freezer on the boat.
I get whole Mackerel at the Asian store in SLC they are 12 to 15'' and work great, If I get them in a can, I eat them 😀 and you keep the Chovy's on ice, when I was there in January they stayed frozen in my cooler.

fisheye

What Wayne said, I have only used stripers as bait once and it worked even better for me than chovies. Out on the coast in Cal, they sell salted chovies that are salt brined. They are tough and don't turn to mush . Ask your bait shop to get some to try?

Marko

I haven't used fresh striper as bait, mostly because I think there is more scent on the anchovies. Has anyone tried applying any scent to their bait (particularly striper meat)?