The Long Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going up the ramp at bullfrog in July of 1992 when I saw an older gentleman making the slow walk up the ramp. I offered him a ride and as we were talking he told me his party had dropped him off at the ramp so he could get to the top and get medicl assistance. They thought he might have had a heart attack the night before. At that time, I believe there was a trailer at the top of the ramp where he could get assistance. I not only dropped him off, but made sure he got inside. It was odd that his party just left him at the bottom of the ramp, but he appeared to be doing all right when I left him.

Thank you Wordlings for doing your best to serve others by offering rides up the ramps. It just seems so quick and easy to do this. Now if we can spread this out to impact all those that use the ramps, it would be amazing. If you think of other ways to approach this issue please let me know.

I also go looking to give rides when I'm there. I wonder if the Park Service would have a cow if we had a saw horse at top and bottom with a sign - "WW Pick up point" Then folks could stop there and wait a minute or two to see if a ride was forthcoming.

I'd volunteer to talk to PS to see about their reaction.

I also go looking to give rides when I'm there. I wonder if the Park Service would have a cow if we had a saw horse at top and bottom with a sign - "WW Pick up point" Then folks could stop there and wait a minute or two to see if a ride was forthcoming.

I'd volunteer to talk to PS to see about their reaction.

Let me get this straight - You have a "COW" and a horse you want to tether at the top of the ramp for folks to ride up and down.

Did I get that right? 🐂 You should really go to NPS with this offer. 😄

Ha ha , funny funny- OK so I used a couple of OLD terms, I bet not many even remember the phrase "have a cow" or even know how to use a "saw horse", they walk real slow! :)
Might be able to stop by the office this week and pose the question. Now if I get thrown out of the office?

quick story --- last summer I had a wide world of sports trip at bullfrog ( thrill of victory -- agony of defeat)
Mid july--- dark -- I had to park at the old marina and walk back to the houseboat which is in last row --- total distance I was guessing 80 miles or might have been 1 -- temperature about 500 degrees give or take --- I start walking hope / praying that I can catch a ride-- very quickly, car comes by -- I stick out my thumb ---- they stop --- VICTORY -- I say I need a ride to houseboats -- they inform they are going to rental slips ---DEFEAT -- keep walking I am about 150 yards from the dirt road, and a truck and trailer passes --- I still have my thumb out -- they keep going DEFEAT -- they stop when pavement turns to dirt --- VICTORY --- I run -- 150 yards in 500 degree heat DEFEAT-- jump into back of trailer ( like motorcycle trailer -- hit side of trailer with hand telling driver " good to go " VICTORY ---- Driver gets out, yells "get out of my trailer" -- I say "didn't you stop to give me a ride" he says " NO I stopped to make a call-- I do not give rides" DEFEAT --- I start walking again-- make it about 1/2 back, and same truck trailer pulls up " sorry about that he says -- did not realize it was so far -- jump in" VICTORY---

Went to the PS office
And what do you suppose I found out?
Their first thought was a commercial operation. I had to say twice, NO, not a commercial operation, just friends giving rides to friends.
OH, then you have to talk to so and so about signs and you can't put your own up. BUT- so and so won't be in till next week.
The saga continues. how do you spell "bureaucracy"

quick story --- last summer I had a wide world of sports trip at bullfrog ( thrill of victory -- agony of defeat)
Mid july--- dark -- I had to park at the old marina and walk back to the houseboat which is in last row --- total distance I was guessing 80 miles or might have been 1 -- temperature about 500 degrees give or take --- I start walking hope / praying that I can catch a ride-- very quickly, car comes by -- I stick out my thumb ---- they stop --- VICTORY -- I say I need a ride to houseboats -- they inform they are going to rental slips ---DEFEAT -- keep walking I am about 150 yards from the dirt road, and a truck and trailer passes --- I still have my thumb out -- they keep going DEFEAT -- they stop when pavement turns to dirt --- VICTORY --- I run -- 150 yards in 500 degree heat DEFEAT-- jump into back of trailer ( like motorcycle trailer -- hit side of trailer with hand telling driver " good to go " VICTORY ---- Driver gets out, yells "get out of my trailer" -- I say "didn't you stop to give me a ride" he says " NO I stopped to make a call-- I do not give rides" DEFEAT --- I start walking again-- make it about 1/2 back, and same truck trailer pulls up " sorry about that he says -- did not realize it was so far -- jump in" VICTORY---
That's almost as bad as the skier having to watch himself crash for the next twenty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back