The Greatest Story Ever Told - the last days before the rise of Lake Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFRCalifornia

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Since my recent post about Planet of the Apes, it got me thinking about another slightly earlier movie that provides a completely different insight into Glen Canyon, in literally its last days before it transformed into Lake Powell.

The Greatest Story Ever Told was a classic 3-hour biblical epic, released in 1965. It was a pretty good story, but not really a great movie (my opinion), although it was beautifully shot, with gorgeous cinematography in a sort of Lawrence of Arabia kind of way. Originally, director George Stevens’ idea was to film it right there in Israel and Jordan, with the baptism scenes at the Jordan River, but once he took a look at the less-than-inspiring Jordan while scouting for possible locations in 1961, decided it just wasn’t dramatic enough for what he envisioned.

And that’s how they ended up filming those scenes at Glen Canyon. Now it was late 1962, and the Colorado River still flowed through the canyon, muddy and serene, a perfect setting against the red buttes and mesas. The problem the production crew faced was time—Glen Canyon Dam was scheduled for completion in early 1963, and they needed a river, not a lake, for the movie to work. And so they rushed to complete these scenes as the winter of 1962-63 took hold, finishing literally as the waters began to rise at the end of January 1963. What they captured on film between the faux Romans and Navajos posing as Bedouin shepherds was nothing less than the very last days of Glen Canyon as it had been known to that time.

In the attached stills from the movie, you can easily see Gunsight Butte, and the nearby sweeping turns of the Colorado River, in an area that would soon become Padre Bay. And there hip deep in the freezing water is no less than Charlton Heston as John the Baptist, hiding a wetsuit under his outfit to avoid shivering to death in the frigid Colorado River. It was only 5 years later he would be back to almost this exact same spot as one of the astronauts from Planet of the Apes, then paddling a raft on a lake that did not yet exist in 1962, depicting a future Earth alien enough to look unrecognizable to movie audiences of the late 1960s. And so it was in the winter of late 1962 that the same place could pass for the Holy Land of 2000 years ago, with the same actor in a very different role, with a very different setting, and yet the same dramatic backdrop.

If nothing else, the hidden legacy of The Greatest Story Ever Told is as a time capsule, a brief final look at a pre-Lake Powell Glen Canyon, literally days before the dam closed and the waters began to rise…

Here's a Dec 1962/Jan 1963 downstream view from the movie toward Gunsight Butte, with the mouth of Kane Creek Canyon doubling as a gathering spot for Charlton Heston as John the Baptist. This spot is very close to where Heston came ashore on Padre Bay with the other two astronauts in Planet of the Apes, filmed less than 5 years later...
GSET 4 - late 1962.jpg

Great pre-Lake Powell view along the Colorado River, Dec 1962/Jan 1963...
GSET 7 - late 1962.jpg

Perfect shot up along Gunsight Creek toward Gunsight Butte, in what would soon become Gunsight Bay, minus the Roman soldiers. Filmed in the winter of 1962/63.
GSET 10 - late 1962.jpg

Thanks to good sleuthing by drewsxmi (see subsequent post), this shot is not in Glen Canyon at all, but it's the Green River, and that's Turks Head in the middle... In the movie, they mixed this shot in with the ones from Glen Canyon. Thanks for the correction!
GSET 8 - late 1962.jpg

Charlton Heston as John the Baptist. He's probably scowling because he's freezing to death standing in the Colorado River in December 1962... Apparently he wore a wetsuit under the loin cloths...
GSET 2 - late 1962.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some great pics JFR- Thanks for all the work you do to keep us informed. I'm looking at all that vegetation and thinking "winter"?
Thanks! Apparently there was a big snowstorm right after a lot of scenes were shot in Dec 1962, so they sent everyone home for Christmas, waited for things to clear up and melt, then finished the job in January...

Since my recent post about Planet of the Apes, it got me thinking about another slightly earlier movie that provides a completely different insight into Glen Canyon, in literally its last days before it transformed into Lake Powell.

The Greatest Story Ever Told was a classic 3-hour biblical epic, released in 1965. It was a pretty good story, but not really a great movie (my opinion), although it was beautifully shot, with gorgeous cinematography in a sort of Lawrence of Arabia kind of way. Originally, director George Stevens’ idea was to film it right there in Israel and Jordan, with the baptism scenes at the Jordan River, but once he took a look at the less-than-inspiring Jordan while scouting for possible locations in 1961, decided it just wasn’t dramatic enough for what he envisioned.

And that’s how they ended up filming those scenes at Glen Canyon. Now it was late 1962, and the Colorado River still flowed through the canyon, muddy and serene, a perfect setting against the red buttes and mesas. The problem the production crew faced was time—Glen Canyon Dam was scheduled for completion in early 1963, and they needed a river, not a lake, for the movie to work. And so they rushed to complete these scenes as the winter of 1962-63 took hold, finishing literally as the waters began to rise at the end of January 1963. What they captured on film between the faux Romans and Navajos posing as Bedouin shepherds was nothing less than the very last days of Glen Canyon as it had been known to that time.

In the attached stills from the movie, you can easily see Gunsight Butte, and the nearby sweeping turns of the Colorado River, in an area that would soon become Padre Bay. And there hip deep in the freezing water is no less than Charlton Heston as John the Baptist, hiding a wetsuit under his outfit to avoid shivering to death in the frigid Colorado River. It was only 5 years later he would be back to almost this exact same spot as one of the astronauts from Planet of the Apes, then paddling a raft on a lake that did not yet exist in 1962, depicting a future Earth alien enough to look unrecognizable to movie audiences of the late 1960s. And so it was in the winter of late 1962 that the same place could pass for the Holy Land of 2000 years ago, with the same actor in a very different role, with a very different setting, and yet the same dramatic backdrop.

If nothing else, hidden legacy of The Greatest Story Ever Told is as a time capsule, a brief final look at a pre-Lake Powell Glen Canyon, literally days before the dam closed and the waters began to rise…

Here's a Dec 1962/Jan 1963 downstream view from the movie toward Gunsight Butte, with the mouth of Padre Canyon doubling as a gathering spot for Charlton Heston as John the Baptist. This spot is very close to where Heston came ashore on Padre Bay with the other two astronauts in Planet of the Apes, filmed less than 5 years later...

The Colorado River in Dec 1962/Jan 1963, in the general area of what would soon be Padre Bay. Can anyone pinpoint this view?
View attachment 12677
This is the White Rim, Green River, and Turks Head, seen from the Green River Overlook in the Island in the Sky Area of Canyonlands National Park. You can see a backcountry airstrip visible in the center foreground that was still visible in 2011. Here is a hazy view from March, 2011:

Attachments

• DSC_5922.JPG
    DSC_5922.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 90
This is the White Rim, Green River, and Turks Head, seen from the Green River Overlook in the Island in the Sky Area of Canyonlands National Park. You can see a backcountry airstrip visible in the center foreground that was still visible in 2011. Here is a hazy view from March, 2011:
thanks--great catch! I amended the original post to reflect what you figured out...

Great post, thanks! I do vaguely recall seeing something about a Hollywood production that filmed in Glen just before the biblical floods. Hopefully they had an ark built in time. Seriously though it's awesome looking at those photos and realizing just how deep Lake Powell is. Those high buttes around Padre Bay become tiny islands at full pool.

Thanks for figuring that out! ...
I have a list of movies on my video drive that have been filmed around Lake Powell and we watch that when we are on the lake. Usually when cooking and eating dinner.

I am going to add Planet of the Apes and The greatest story ever told to that drive ...
Some of my favorites are:
Maverick
Broken Arrow
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Evolution (2001) with David Duchovny and Julianne Moore. The story is set in Page, and we always try to figure out where the exteriors were shot.

If you look very carefully on Google Maps / Earth at the Sand Hills bench area south of Alstrom Point and Romana Mesa between Warm Creek and Gunsight Canyons you can see the vestiges of a road. I've seen mention of a road to Kane Wash near Crossing of the Padres, but have not found any maps showing that pre-lake road. (The best old map that I have is a 1954 1:250,000 "Escalante" topo map covering a large portion of that area, long before Page, highways to Bullfrog, Lake Powell, and so forth.) There must have been some kind of road to bring in all of the equipment for Greatest Story Ever Told. My best guess is that it came down Crosby Canyon (current road), crossed Warm Creek, and then continued on the low bench level to the Kane Wash area. Any really old timers have any information about that, or the isolated road segment on the Sand Hills below Romana Mesa?

Last edited:
If you look very carefully on Google Maps / Earth at the Sand Hills bench area south of Alstrom Point and Romana Mesa between Warm Creek and Gunsight Canyons you can see the vestiges of a road. I've seen mention of a road to Kane Wash near Crossing of the Padres, but have not found any maps showing that pre-lake road. (The best old map that I have is a 1954 1:250,000 "Escalante" topo map covering a large portion of that area, long before Page, highways to Bullfrog, Lake Powell, and so forth.) There must have been some kind of road to bring in all of the equipment for Greatest Story Ever Told. My best guess is that it came down Crosby Canyon (current road), crossed Warm Creek, and then continued on the low bench level to the Kane Wash area. Any really old timers have any information about that, or the isolated road segment on the Sand Hills below Romana Mesa?
To add to all that, in the days the dam was being built, apparently USBR placed a sign at Kane Creek that all river boat traffic had to exit Glen Canyon there to avoid getting too close to the dam building operations. That suggests there was a way out at that location, but I agree, I don't see the road on old maps. But at the same time, that's very near the place where most of the Glen Canyon scenes in Greatest Story were filmed... a mystery... All that to say, I think your Crosby/Warm Creek access hypothesis is probably the right one...

If nothing else, the hidden legacy of The Greatest Story Ever Told is as a time capsule, a brief final look at a pre-Lake Powell Glen Canyon, literally days before the dam closed and the waters began to rise…

Here's a Dec 1962/Jan 1963 downstream view from the movie toward Gunsight Butte, with the mouth of Kane Creek Canyon doubling as a gathering spot for Charlton Heston as John the Baptist. This spot is very close to where Heston came ashore on Padre Bay with the other two astronauts in Planet of the Apes, filmed less than 5 years later...
View attachment 12674

Great pre-Lake Powell view along the Colorado River, Dec 1962/Jan 1963...
View attachment 12675

Perfect shot up along Gunsight Creek toward Gunsight Butte, in what would soon become Gunsight Bay, minus the Roman soldiers. Filmed in the winter of 1962/63.
View attachment 12676

Thanks to good sleuthing by drewsxmi (see subsequent post), this shot is not in Glen Canyon at all, but it's the Green River, and that's Turks Head in the middle... In the movie, they mixed this shot in with the ones from Glen Canyon. Thanks for the correction!
View attachment 12677

Charlton Heston as John the Baptist. He's probably scowling because he's freezing to death standing in the Colorado River in December 1962... Apparently he wore a wetsuit under the loin cloths...
View attachment 12678

Very good JFR! I grew up in Kane County. My father, brother and I all worked at one time or another for movies being filmed there. There were many!! My father and brother worked on "The Greatest Story Ever Told". I've attached a photo from Christmas day, 1962. All the movie people from California had returned for the holidays and to let the snow melt so filming could resume.. My dad and brother would go out each day to feed and care for all the animals used on the set. The photo is my dad, Clyde, riding on one of the camels, also named Clyde. Turned out Clyde, the camel,, was a female and had a baby while on the set. The baby was named Utah.
Mom and I visited the set many times during filming. They had flame throwers to heat the rocks so the apostles could stand to walk on them barefoot. Much of the local sagebrush was spray painted to add color to the pictures. The Walls of Jerusalem were only a front, propped up in back by 2 x 4's and scaffolding. There was a whole road (chariot road that is) leading up to the walls with the "criminals" hanging on crosses. We could drive around the lake, past Lone Rock and further up in to Warm Creek.
We have a scrapbook that Mom put together about this film. I'll try to find it and post other information if you'd like.
Scan0003-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good JFR! I grew up in Kane County. My father, brother and I all worked at one time or another for movies being filmed there. There were many!! My father and brother worked on "The Greatest Story Ever Told". I've attached a photo from Christmas day, 1962. All the movie people from California had returned for the holidays and to let the snow melt so filming could resume.. My dad and brother would go out each day to feed and care for all the animals used on the set. The photo is my dad, Clyde, riding on one of the camels, also named Clyde. Turned out Clyde, the camel,, was a female and had a baby while on the set. The baby was named Utah.
Mom and I visited the set many times during filming. They had flame throwers to heat the rocks so the apostles could stand to walk on them barefoot. Much of the local sagebrush was spray painted to add color to the pictures. The Walls of Jerusalem were only a front, propped up in back by 2 x 4's and scaffolding. There was a whole road (chariot road that is) leading up to the walls with the "criminals" hanging on crosses. We could drive around the lake, past Lone Rock and further up in to Warm Creek.
We have a scrapbook that Mom put together about this film. I'll try to find it and post other information if you'd like.

View attachment 12759
That is awesome, SoUtahBoy!! I’d be super interested in any other info or photos you might have! Great photo of Clyde the camel!!

John Carter was also filmed at Powell, standing in for Mars.
My wife won one of the Water Level contests, and we got a stay at the Wahweap Resort during the filming. All along the entrance roads and parking lots were signs that read "Barzoom".

When we stopped in Big Water to drop off our trailer, the folks at BW Boat Storage told us about the big laugh it gave them that the location scouts never considered the bugs that would be freshly hatched out during the actual movie shoot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back