Summer Trip Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKNNH

Hello everyone!

Some friends and I are planning a 4-5 day trip in the summer coming up (June or July) but we have never been to Lake Powell before. We have heard awesome stories from others and so we decided to give it a try. I've been researching shore fishing at Lake Powell as none of us have a boat and have heard good things and bad things. We will be lodging there (at Bullfrog) and are thinking about renting a boat but are wondering if it is completely necessary.

So my questions are...
Is fishing from a boat so much better than shore that it warrants renting a boat?
How accessible is the shore fishing there and how well do shore anglers do usually?

Thank you!

You will get many more questions? Are you camping or staying at the lodge (very expensive)? July can be very hot. Camping at Stanton Creek, on the shore of POWELL can be very good for fishin’ if shad and stripers are there. Cat fish are always around if they’re what you want. Plan to bring most ALL of what you need as the closest WALLMART is 150+ miles away. Ice at Bullfrog is $8.00 per 20lb bag. Sq

Last edited:
Like Squirrel said, July can be very hot. Expect 100+ degrees (in the shade!) during the day and if you are camping, not much cool down at night either at 80 +/- a few degrees. Think about how much drinking water you will need and then double it to be on the safe side.

We have camped at Stanton several times and there are spots that are better for fishing than others. Depends on water level also, but that's a whole different subject. I have caught 5 pound stripers from shore on some trips and then get skunked the next trip. And yes, you don't need to try very hard for the catfish, which are also tasty IMHO.

You mention that you will be lodging, so you won't have a designated camping spot on shore, right? That time of the year is very busy on the lake and unless you invade someone's camp spot on the shore, shore fishing may be pretty difficult to do because the shoreline is usually very full. If you don't mind hiking and packing in your fishing gear, I bet you could find a nice cove to fish in away from Stanton, but again, bring plenty of water.

I would say that since it is your first trip, rent a boat and explore the lake, try various canyons on the fishing and enjoy yourselves. There is no possibility of seeing the entire lake in one week so the scenery is always different. That time of year, expect to spend a lot of time in the water. If you are to rent a boat, reserve it NOW!!! If you wait until Easter weekend to reserve, you may not be able to get one. There are 3 spots down here to rent a boat from. Aramark already has the boats in the water, Ticaboo and Hanksville Tours you have to haul it on a trailer to the lake and launch it.

Have fun at the lake and most importantly, be safe.

You didn't say where you are traveling from, but if from the SLC area, there are places you can rent a boat (if you can tow it) for your trip and save literally over a thousand dollars vs renting on the lake, and would likely have a much nicer/newer boat.

And I agree with other comments that you really need a boat to enjoy the lake - and July is awesome but very hot!

Lodging is $200-$250/night, 2 queen beds + floor space, but the A/C in July makes sleeping comfortable. Some campers have to start the night under a wet sheet to make sleeping possible in July. Boat rental is expensive, but another option may be to convince a friend/acquaintance who has a boat (someone you trust to be safe on a lake as rough as an ocean at times) to go, if you pay for gas, for example. Shouldn’t take much convincing. Make it happen!

Having a boat for fishing is a lot better than shore fishing, especially depending on where you are/need to get. But for me it wouldn’t warrant the price as others have said. I second trying to find a boat a different way though.

You didn't say where you are traveling from!
Sorry! We'll be coming from Colorado.

Thank you for all your answers! I have checked Aramark, Ticaboo, and Hanksville Tours for their boat prices. Are there any other boating rental recommendations?

Your post doesn’t give any indication of age, physical ability, or sense of adventure. Stanton Creek can be great for a sampling of the fishing at powell. We have gone in with canoes and have had a great time, traveling from point to point or just being able to work a new shoreline without walking for miles. A watercraft can save lots of fishing time by being able to free your bait from the rocks or making the best presentation. With all of that said, Lake Powell can be unforgiving at times so safety and common sense are a must. I will have to agree that June is better than July. 2016 pics at Stanton. Molly learning how to fish the old fashioned way and the truck ready for Powell! ED53B9FC-24FB-421B-AE9A-E7946402E700.jpeg051DCB67-22C4-4941-A2DD-C72232AB083B.jpeg

PKNNH, Where in CO.?? Sq
We will be coming from the Denver Metro area (Thornton/Northglenn to be specific).

Your post doesn’t give any indication of age, physical ability, or sense of adventure.
We're all mid to late 20s. There will most likely be 7 of us going. Majority have been angling from shore all our lives with very little boating experience. Physically we're smaller guys but in terms of adventure we are willing to go far out for it!

The responses have been great for a noob like me! Any more tips or guides are more than welcomed!

Dont be SCARED off on going in July, because of the heat. I have done many Houseboat trips in August and never turned on the Air. This site will get you all the information you need. Enjoy the adventure.

PKNNH, if we get another Wordling breakfast meeting scheduled this spring, you should come. It’s a group of Lake Powell enthusiasts from the front range. I live in Evergreen. Sq

We're all mid to late 20s. There will most likely be 7 of us going. Majority have been angling from shore all our lives with very little boating experience. Physically we're smaller guys but in terms of adventure we are willing to go far out for it!

The reason boats are more popular is because the shoreline of Lake Powell just isn't very accessible by wheeled vehicles. You have to keep in mind that this lake was formed by damming a pretty big river / canyon. The reason there are very few marinas and boat ramps is because it isn't easy to get down to the shore.

Stanton Creek should be fine for you. What are you driving?

You should be able to find some areas in Stanton that you can fish, swim, kayak, etc. You might need to do a little hiking to get away from other people's camps, but that isn't a big deal.

Catfish, walleye, bass, and possibly even stripers should be available from shore.

Have you looked at Google Earth? if not, take a look at the Stanton Creek area. This will give you an idea of what you are looking at for shoreline. If you are willing to go for a short hike, you can easily get away from the people that will be shore camping in this area.

You should be thinking that this is your first trip to Powell....not the only.

I still say I would find a way to get a boat. Powell isn’t the same without one.

If you want to do a less expensive route, find cheap fishing boat in Denver, buy it, use it for a week, and sell it when you get home.

Two years ago we took a family that went to Powell once before their trip with us. They rented a houseboat only. Said they wouldn’t do another trip without a runabout. And i wouldn’t either.

I have one of these with a 5HP motor that works very well for me for fishing. I take 4 grandkids and myself and it works well. I also have a fishfinder/sonar setup. This boat can be oared or paddled with a kayak paddle or you can put a $100 electric on it. I think the boat is very well made and should last for many years. You can stuff it in the trunk of a car and head to the mountain lakes or any lake in Colorado. 14.1Ft Inflatable boat Inflatable Kayak Canoe Tender Boat - Walmart.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back