Striper lures

I've had good luck with the cabelas walleye diver as well, but the hooks are garbage. I change them out before use as I have had a number break.

I do the same, VMC saltwater 4X strong hooks go on all my Lake Powell lures. They will also start running funny after catching like a 50 fish, but I have had days where they out fish everything in the box. They are frequently on sale for dirt cheap....I have a lot of them ;) I need to learn how to tune lures to run straight one of these days.......

Last edited:
I just thought I’d add to the lures list with a couple top shelf spoon/jigs in the packaging as well as out. Beauties 5B92671F-6A7F-4A8A-A50A-6BF18911C47F.jpegF859654E-CE15-4FA8-A155-3290AC2E7CDF.jpeg

I see some mention of bucktail jigs being used for stripers. Just wonder if large bucktails(3/4 oz) or larger are used in trolling are just jigging? Larger weights should get to the desired depth while trolling.

Don't forget Wake Baits and swim baits. I had a huge SM almost put my arm out of joint on a Castaic Shad. I have probably caught more of all Powell species (Including some smaller than the lure.) on a clear Super Spook than any other lure in my tackle box! I always replace the factory split rings and hooks with good quality hardware.

Attachments

• a a castaic shad.JPG
    a a castaic shad.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 19
View attachment 661

Thanks Wayne! Went again last weekend. Didn't have to go far to find stripers. Let me just say that my range is limited with my little 17' Grumman bass boat. I caught fish from Halls to Hansen and back. I'm out there trying to catch walleye (which I did) but alot more stripers. Again with the Bomber Fat Free Shad. Believe it or not, I also caught stripers on a bottom bouncing worm tipped spinner rig. The fight these fish give you is insane. Caught a few on Model A's as well.
Which colors are you having the best luck for walleye on? Thanks

Back