Striper lures

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Lake Powell Striper Lure List

Surface Lures – Boils
jumpin%20minnow%20t-2000.jpg
Rebel Jumpin Minnow, t-2000, 4.5 inches, Waynes favorite heavy long casting surface lure. Recommmended Colors: black-back (pictured) blue back, and bone.

sammy.jpg
LC Sammy

best all around surface lure but very expensive.

100 is 4 inches long

128 is 5 inches long

3" Rebel Magnum Pop-R in chrome
rebelpop-r.jpg
with blue black.

superspook.jpg
Heddon Super Spook JR (3.5 in) in bone and clear Super spook (Zara Spook) 5 inch. Old standard long casting, dog-walking, surface lure. Jr model very good for bass as well.

Medium running casting or trolling

Lucky Craft
lc%20pointer.jpg
Pointer (78 – 3 inch long dives to 5 feet unless it’s a deep diver (78DD) which means it will go to 8 feet. )

Casting and Shallow Trolling
Pointer 100 DD – (4 inch lure dives to 8 feet)

LV 500 max ¾ ounce. Waynes favorite lipless crankbait (LV)
lv300s-052abk.jpg

-Color Aurora Black

shadrap.jpg
Shad Rap (SR9) Color- shad or silver/ black; bleeding olive. (I really like the red bill when fishing is slow)

Rapala X Rap minnow in silver/ blue or silver/ black. XR10
xrap.jpg

grappler.jpg

Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad - Chrome black

Trolling and Casting

hyperstriper.jpg
Hyper Striper - 1.5 ounce -Can be used on leaded line, with or without single tail trailer like a

Walleye Assassin
walleyeassassin.jpg

Or Yamamoto D-Shad
d-shad.jpg

Deep Trolling

bomberdiver.jpg
Bomber-Saltwater- Grade-A Salt-CD-Certified-Depth-Minnows/6 " 2oz lure in Bonita and Holo Dorado Dives to 30 feet.

Yo-zuri salt water, 30' deep runner's, in Black and Silver, or Blue and Silver. (No image)

dthunderstick.jpg

Storm Deep Thunderstick and Thunderstick Jr.

-dives to 20 feet

Vertical Jigging

Spoons
spoons.jpg

Real Image 1.5 ounce Chartreuse shad -

Howard Oatman special 1.5 ounce -

P-Line lazer Minnow - (Silver Glow, super chartreuse) 1 oz-

Kast master 1/2 to 1 ounce (silver or with a color swash)

Hopkins Shorty

CC Spoon

Diamondback

Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 January 2013 12:32

KVD 5XD, chartreuse sexy shad, Cabelas Real image walleye diver, Firetiger 3.5".

Cabelas is having a 2 day sale (today and tomorrow) on lots of lucky craft - I saw prices marked down from $21.99 to $4.99 on their email that just went out.

I've been doing very well trolling Bomber Fat Free Shads, 9A's and Fat Raps for Striper, walleye and occasional crappy and smallies since March out of Bullfrog

I've been doing very well trolling Bomber Fat Free Shads, 9A's and Fat Raps for Striper, walleye and occasional crappy and smallies since March out of Bullfrog

Thanks Trophyhill and welcome to the club. We need more reports out of Bullfrog so we are counting on you.

KIMG0178.jpg
Thanks Trophyhill and welcome to the club. We need more reports out of Bullfrog so we are counting on you.

Thanks Wayne! Went again last weekend. Didn't have to go far to find stripers. Let me just say that my range is limited with my little 17' Grumman bass boat. I caught fish from Halls to Hansen and back. I'm out there trying to catch walleye (which I did) but alot more stripers. Again with the Bomber Fat Free Shad. Believe it or not, I also caught stripers on a bottom bouncing worm tipped spinner rig. The fight these fish give you is insane. Caught a few on Model A's as well.

Lake Powell Striper Lure List

Surface Lures – Boils
jumpin%20minnow%20t-2000.jpg
Rebel Jumpin Minnow, t-2000, 4.5 inches, Waynes favorite heavy long casting surface lure. Recommmended Colors: black-back (pictured) blue back, and bone.

sammy.jpg
LC Sammy

best all around surface lure but very expensive.

100 is 4 inches long

128 is 5 inches long

3" Rebel Magnum Pop-R in chrome
rebelpop-r.jpg
with blue black.

superspook.jpg
Heddon Super Spook JR (3.5 in) in bone and clear Super spook (Zara Spook) 5 inch. Old standard long casting, dog-walking, surface lure. Jr model very good for bass as well.

Medium running casting or trolling

Lucky Craft
lc%20pointer.jpg
Pointer (78 – 3 inch long dives to 5 feet unless it’s a deep diver (78DD) which means it will go to 8 feet. )

Casting and Shallow Trolling
Pointer 100 DD – (4 inch lure dives to 8 feet)

LV 500 max ¾ ounce. Waynes favorite lipless crankbait (LV)
lv300s-052abk.jpg

-Color Aurora Black

shadrap.jpg
Shad Rap (SR9) Color- shad or silver/ black; bleeding olive. (I really like the red bill when fishing is slow)

Rapala X Rap minnow in silver/ blue or silver/ black. XR10
xrap.jpg

grappler.jpg

Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad - Chrome black

Trolling and Casting

hyperstriper.jpg
Hyper Striper - 1.5 ounce -Can be used on leaded line, with or without single tail trailer like a

Walleye Assassin
walleyeassassin.jpg

Or Yamamoto D-Shad
d-shad.jpg

Deep Trolling

bomberdiver.jpg
Bomber-Saltwater- Grade-A Salt-CD-Certified-Depth-Minnows/6 " 2oz lure in Bonita and Holo Dorado Dives to 30 feet.

Yo-zuri salt water, 30' deep runner's, in Black and Silver, or Blue and Silver. (No image)

dthunderstick.jpg

Storm Deep Thunderstick and Thunderstick Jr.

-dives to 20 feet

Vertical Jigging

Spoons
spoons.jpg

Real Image 1.5 ounce Chartreuse shad -

Howard Oatman special 1.5 ounce -

P-Line lazer Minnow - (Silver Glow, super chartreuse) 1 oz-

Kast master 1/2 to 1 ounce (silver or with a color swash)

Hopkins Shorty

CC Spoon

Diamondback

Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 January 2013 12:32
I have caught just as many stripers on my tubes as all the others put together that I have used. Unless thier on top then I USE THE SPOOK

RedRum Tube Baits are highly effective for striper and bass in general. They can be jigged vertically, retrieved moderately with twitch/slash for erratic movements, rigged weedless and they can also be rigged to be fished like a Ned rig where they’ll stand up on the bottom. They don't waffle in the air or have a paddle tail that creates wind drag so they cast far! There’s cool tube heads with rattles too.
www.redrumbaits.com9EF54AF1-D0BF-41A1-A806-6896E45FB53B.jpeg50FA1C38-3697-40C2-AAA5-B3A738EB2330.jpegEBF3012A-10EF-4BE4-9F01-B2948D57E5E3.jpeg

Last edited:
My go to deep trolling lure is a Norman DD22 with the rattles. Sammy or Super Spook in the boils. Crippled Herring spoon when fishing vertical.

KVD 5XD, chartreuse sexy shad, Cabelas Real image walleye diver, Firetiger 3.5".
I've had good luck with the cabelas walleye diver as well, but the hooks are garbage. I change them out before use as I have had a number break. Also in the fall a good umbrella rig (I use captain macks) tied to braid on a heavy trolling rod works really well post boils and while there is still plentiful shad balls / schools around.

Back