Slurps start! Report from Roger- UDWR tech at Bullfrog

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
The stripers have been slurping in the back of halls creek towards the evenings and I have seen a few slurps at buoy 102 as late as 1 pm. They are skittish but will bite a small white jig or lure. Walleye are biting lures that resemble shad and I have caught a couple on white jigs. anything that is small is good to catch fish on. There are tons of shad in all the meter net tows in all three sites. most of them are between 15 and 20 mm long.

Yes we saw a number of them last week before the winds hit. We didn't really get a chance to fish them though.

rogerlure.jpgwhitejig.jpg

Roger Sandall report:
The stripers have begun to slurp. Saturday and Sunday evening striper slurps were happening all across bullfrog bay and especially between halls marina and moqui canyon. I first noticed slurps at about 6pm Utah time and they went to about 8:15 Utah time. Today fisherman have reported boils between bullfrog marina and bullfrog creek from early morning to about 3 o'clock but the bigger better slurps were in the morning. They are hitting small white lures no bigger than 3 inches. We had really good luck using white crappie jigs. They are kind of skittish but very healthy and aggressive. Bass and walleye are hitting small jigs in 12 to 20 feet of water especially where there is a drop off. We have had good luck with crank baits resembling shad either trolling or casting from the boat.

Wayne if we were looking for a time period for full blown striper boils in Bullfrog/ Halls area to take first timers... what 30 day window would you recommend? We are flexible. I due understand it is fishing and conditions prevail.

Wayne if we were looking for a time period for full blown striper boils in Bullfrog/ Halls area to take first timers... what 30 day window would you recommend? We are flexible. I due understand it is fishing and conditions prevail.

My best guess right now is the dark moon period in July. Seems like things are happening a bit earlier than usual this year so boils may happen as early as the full moon on June 27. I will update this as soon as I hear any boils reports.

Roger reports: We didn't see any slurps early this morning until we got to the back of red canyon. The stripers were going crazy in 13 feet of water throughout the whole back end of the canyon. We threw crank baits out and caught stripers with each cast. They are very healthy and aggressive fish. After about 7:30 to 8 the stripers moved out into deeper water and didn't slurp as much. We caught them trolling crank baits at medium depth. I have noticed that early morning the stripers are slurping in the backs of the canyon in 15 to 20 feet of water but as it gets later towards mid day the slurps move to the main channel. We encountered quite a few slurps in the main channel from cedar canyon up to good hope but didn't see anything after 1pm Utah time. The bass and walleye are still biting white or brown jigs and medium diving crank baits in 15 to 20 ft of water. We have had a lot luck trolling to find the fish and then casting out where we hooked them to catch more.

unnamed.jpgStriper slurps reported off the North ramp at bull frog and out in the bay near Halls in the late morning and stopped around 1pm Utah time. Most of the slurps lasted a while. Night fishing off the docks at bull frog has been very popular and very successful. Most people have been using green lights which have proven very useful. The stripers are being caught anywhere from 35 to 15 deep on anchovies cut really small. Catfish are also being caught using the same method. The best night fishing seems to be about 10:30 Utah time.

Is the low pressure that is moving in this weekend going to have an impact on fishing?

Wind is not your friend when looking for slurping stripers. Wind reduces number of slurps and makes then harder to see. In looking at the forecast it seems like most mornings will be calm with most afternoons windy. So plan on heading out at first light and then coming in or switch to trolling when the wind hits.

Last edited:
Roger reported: Thursday we went to Red Canyon early morning and found the stripers slurping in the back in about 15 ft of water. We could only catch them on rattle traps. We used blue and grey rattle traps casting towards the slurps and reeling in fast. Once the slurps went down we would troll the rattle traps until we caught something or another slurp came up. We caught several walleye in red canyon casting the rattle traps towards the shore and trolling them behind the boat. Red canyon is a happening spot early morning and the fish are very aggressive.
Friday morning we spent a lot of time chasing slurps in bullfrog both in the back of bullfrog and in the bay. The fish are picky and wouldn't bite most lures we threw at them. We had some hits off of white crappie jigs but couldn't get anything in the boat. Trolling between the ferry and Stanton creek is fairly good in the mornings and evenings. We have caught walleye and stripers using medium diving crank baits and rattle traps and trolling anywhere from 10 to 25 feet of water. Once you catch a fish you can go to where the fish first hit, cast out and generally pick up another fish or two before continuing trolling.
Night fishing from the dock has been a huge success. Using a green light has been very popular and the stripers and catfish are biting best between 10:30 and 1am Utah time. Drop an anchovy all the way to the bottom and reel it in 3 to 4 turns up and let it sit. Last night we caught 21 doing this and we left while they were still biting.

Last edited:
June 19 - Roger reported: We went out early this morning into bullfrog bay and were catching smallmouth off of top water poppers near the shore in 6 to 8 feet of water. They were really hammering the lures and we were catching big smallmouth. After about an hour they quit hitting top water and we went chasing striper slurps. We found a few but they were very picky and wouldn't hit anything we threw at them. We ended up coming back with 0 stripers but I have talked to several fisherman today that have had a lot of success chasing slurps in bullfrog and by halls using white shad jigs and plastic jigs dragging them through the slurps. Up towards Goodhope the slurps are more aggressive and can be caught on a larger variety of lures, smaller still seems to be the ticket.

Attachments

• rfd2.smb.jpg
    rfd2.smb.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 49
  • rfd3smb.jpg
    rfd3smb.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 49
  • rfdsmb.jpg
    rfdsmb.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Roger went to North Wash wednesday night june 27th and got there at about 8pm. They were able to pass over the sand bar but there was barely 1 ft of water. We found stripers in full on boils and caught them for an hour straight from the front all the way to the back of North wash. They are very healthy stripers eating lots of shad. The shad were anywhere from 15mm long to 2 and a half inches long. We also caught several catfish a crappie, tons of small mouth, several large mouth and a dozen walleye. The bass all had crayfish in their stomachs and shad and were very healthy fish. The walleye were thin and had empty stomachs. Their bodies were tubular and loomed differrent from other walleye we've been catching. We returned at noon on thursday june 28th and we were still catching fish. The night fishing was the slowest fishing we had. But there are a ton of fish in North Wash and they are feeding all day long. The water temp was from 76 degrees to 80 degrees. And the deepest part I found was 26 feet deep.

Roger went to North Wash wednesday night june 27th and got there at about 8pm. They were able to pass over the sand bar but there was barely 1 ft of water. We found stripers in full on boils and caught them for an hour straight from the front all the way to the back of North wash. They are very healthy stripers eating lots of shad. The shad were anywhere from 15mm long to 2 and a half inches long. We also caught several catfish a crappie, tons of small mouth, several large mouth and a dozen walleye. The bass all had crayfish in their stomachs and shad and were very healthy fish. The walleye were thin and had empty stomachs. Their bodies were tubular and loomed differrent from other walleye we've been catching. We returned at noon on thursday june 28th and we were still catching fish. The night fishing was the slowest fishing we had. But there are a ton of fish in North Wash and they are feeding all day long. The water temp was from 76 degrees to 80 degrees. And the deepest part I found was 26 feet deep.

😱

Do you know where Roger launched Wayne?

Yes he is stationed at Bullfrog and goes uplake from there.

Here is his latest report:

I have talked to several fisherman who have caught stripers in slurps near the Rincon. they used mostly white grubs on jig heads but said they were catching fish on just about anything they threw into a slurp. the slurps have been happening all day long there. iceberg canyon has been very productive for many fisherman as well.

Towards Good Hope a few fisherman have been catching stripers in slurps off of shallow crank baits and grubs both green and white. I was able to catch them on a white tube jig in Good Hope, Red canyon, and in several slurps on The Horn. I haven't seen a slurp passed The Horn yet excluding North Wash. the slurps in BullFrog and Halls are most frequent in late morning and the afternoon but are still hard to catch. they are super picky and skittish. I caught one on a white grub and another off of a white tube jig but nothing else.

Night fishing is slow for most and great for others. I have conflicting reports from fisherman of them fishing all night and only catching 1 or 2 fish while other people are catching 50 fish a night. the fishing has been the best the farther you go from Bullfrog either uplake or downlake. There aren't a lot of fishermen on the lake and those that come are staying closer to BullFrog.

Slurps were everywhere in Friendship Cove, and Rock Creek this weekend. I watched a Wakeboard boat drive right over one, and NOT put it down. But every time I would try to sneak up on one, and cast ahead of it.....down they went! Lots of fun. My kids got pretty used to being pulled on the tube, then me slowing to idle chasing slurps :cool:

Yes he is stationed at Bullfrog and goes uplake from there.

Here is his latest report:

I have talked to several fisherman who have caught stripers in slurps near the Rincon. they used mostly white grubs on jig heads but said they were catching fish on just about anything they threw into a slurp. the slurps have been happening all day long there. iceberg canyon has been very productive for many fisherman as well.

Towards Good Hope a few fisherman have been catching stripers in slurps off of shallow crank baits and grubs both green and white. I was able to catch them on a white tube jig in Good Hope, Red canyon, and in several slurps on The Horn. I haven't seen a slurp passed The Horn yet excluding North Wash. the slurps in BullFrog and Halls are most frequent in late morning and the afternoon but are still hard to catch. they are super picky and skittish. I caught one on a white grub and another off of a white tube jig but nothing else.

Night fishing is slow for most and great for others. I have conflicting reports from fisherman of them fishing all night and only catching 1 or 2 fish while other people are catching 50 fish a night. the fishing has been the best the farther you go from Bullfrog either uplake or downlake. There aren't a lot of fishermen on the lake and those that come are staying closer to BullFrog.
I have heard that NOTHING is happening up north. No fish, muddy water and bad weather. Typhoons. Just sayin’. But I’ll give you a report next week...someone has to go up there.

TR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back