Slab Spoons for catching Stripers

Mike Jensen

😪😪. Howard was going to teach me how he made his. I miss that fella. I do know somebody from Rangely bought all his molds and lead. He used a big single hook which is great when really in a good school
I was just getting to know Howard fairly well and looked forward to seeing him on every trip to Powell before he passed. The jigs he gave to me on our first meeting occupy their own box that go out with me on every trip.

Fursniper

I got this spoon from the AZ Game and Fish Dept. when they gave them away to participants at a fishing clinic for kids. I thought is was a neat idea. I'm not sure if UT DWR has done something similar. If not, I would like to suggest UT DWR has some spoons made to promote striper fishing with their logo on them. Give them out to volunteers who participate in fish research projects, fishing clinics, data collection, etc. Maybe put a recipe on the back for how to make stripers taste like lobster...LOL! I'm guessing the manufacture of Z-Wobbler made these for the AGFD. Perhaps UT DWR could get some custom spoons made too?

I have not caught any stripers on my AGFD spoon yet. The instructions say to Fish AZ. 🙃

Last edited:

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I got this spoon from the AZ Game and Fish Dept. when they gave them away to participants at a fishing clinic for kids. I thought is was a neat idea. I'm not sure if UT DWR has done something similar. If not, I would like to suggest UT DWR has some spoons made to promote striper fishing with their logo on them. Give them out to volunteers who participate in fish research projects, fishing clinics, data collection, etc. Maybe put a recipe on the back for how to make stripers taste like lobster...LOL! I'm guessing the manufacture of Z-Wobbler made these for the AGFD. Perhaps UT DWR could get some custom spoons made too?

I have not caught any stripers on my AGFD spoon yet. The instructions say to Fish AZ. 🙃

Great idea. I would make one change in that the striper spoon should be a slab spoon which has a different action. Your spoon would work well in a boil or on the retrieve but not as good fishing at depth. I will send this information up the chain of command and see what happens. Thanks

Last edited:

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I think I still have some DWR logo crankbaits that have worked at Powell in the past for stripers...
My favorite was the white rattlin' rap with the DWR logo. I caught a LOT of fish on the lure. I wish I had it now so I could take a picture and show it off. I will check my photo albums tonight. There may be a picture in there when we were fishing striper boils and a bad cast got the lure caught in my brother-in-law's head. Ah - Good memories. He was the Doctor but I got to take the lure out of his scalp. 😙

Stuart Hepworth

That actually might be the lure I was thinking of--the white rattlin rap. I will have to go through my assortment of cranks and raps to see if I still have one too.

Stuart Hepworth

At one time, I know that among Richard, my dad, Brett, and I we had quite a few. But, slowly we lost them from use. They did work good! I bet, though, that at least Richard has a couple.

Steve Moore

We tried to find the same stuff both he and Dave Wallace used. It is mylar tubing but there are a number of places to order it. We tried a couple of dealers with Easy Body LLC being the closest (Pearl was the color). But it never worked as well as the stuff used on the originals. The spoons wore out sooner than expected as the tubing came loose and started to fray from the bottom up. We quit using the tubing and went with an epoxy coating and some shiny tape. These work great and did not ever wear out.

It takes twice as long to put the tubing on the spoon and we decided it was not worth the effort or expense.
If I remember right Howard used a tape. I know I’ve had some peel on mine. He also powder coated them