Slab Spoons for catching Stripers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I got a request recently asking if we could sell any of the jigging spoons that Nob Wimmer makes and uses to catch trophy stripers. We don't have the time or energy to do that. It would be a great project for a young entrepreneur. Dave Wallace produced the Wally Lure before he passed. That is the lure I have used for years to catch stripers. After he was gone someone took over his company but I am not sure what happened. I have no knowledge of that company still being in operation. If you do let me know. Those were great spoons and the same one that we still make. This is the same lure and mold used by Howard Oatman before he passed.

If you want to sell spoons or make your own here are the details. Get a slab spoon mold from Janns Netcraft. Part Number: P 411-188 Model CC-2-L, (Number of cavities) 2, Hook size 2 or 4, make sure to buy the insert which allows the hook and line attachment. This mold is for 1.5 and 2 ounce spoons. We use 1.5 ounce.

You need a lead melting pot and then pour hot lead into the mold to make the spoons. (Remember: Lead is not good for you).

When the blank spoons are dry and cool then you have to paint or attach your favorite decorations. Here is what some look like.

Then we attach extra heavy hooks and split rings (heavier than the ones pictured here).

I prefer the size 2 extremely heavy duty hooks and (I am never sure on the size of split rings - my guess is 2 or 3).

So here are the details for those looking for adventure. Good Luck!4085
This is the old Wally Lure

Here is Nobs spoon used to catch the 30 and 20 pound stripers. Note the heavy duty split rings and hooks

Last edited:
Thanks for the mold information. I have a lead melt pot already may have to look into getting a mold for my use.

I've bought some before off ebay if anyone is interested in just getting some pre-made. They have them in a wide variety of size and colors if you just search slab spoon.

Also for the semi- Not safe for Work. Amazon never seems to fail at a good laugh.

Does anybody find that the colored spoons work better than the chrome flashy spoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody find that the colored spoons work better the the chrome flashy spoons.

I think you mean chrome lures like a Kastmaster? Is that right? 4089

Slabs and chrome lures have different actions. Kastmasters are best on the retrieve. Cast them out into striper boils and then reel back through the boil for great success.

Slab Spoons work best on the fall. Let them sink to the bottom then jig up 3 feet and let them fall again. Stripers will hit most often as the spoon falls rather than on the uptake or the retrieve.

Last edited:
Do you know where Howard got the fish scale netting he put on the old Walleylure?

We tried to find the same stuff both he and Dave Wallace used. It is mylar tubing but there are a number of places to order it. We tried a couple of dealers with Easy Body LLC being the closest (Pearl was the color). But it never worked as well as the stuff used on the originals. The spoons wore out sooner than expected as the tubing came loose and started to fray from the bottom up. We quit using the tubing and went with an epoxy coating and some shiny tape. These work great and did not ever wear out.

It takes twice as long to put the tubing on the spoon and we decided it was not worth the effort or expense.

I'm just starting to make my own topwater poppers and in fact painted the base colors for the first six tonight. I'm trying to imitate Powell bait but I see the paint on so many lures that don't imitate anything and still kill it. This is a perfect example. Makes me want to try Zebra stripes or orangatang butt. Now that they are so cheap I might just try that.

I'm just starting to make my own topwater poppers and in fact painted the base colors for the first six tonight. I'm trying to imitate Powell bait but I see the paint on so many lures that don't imitate anything and still kill it. This is a perfect example. Makes me want to try Zebra stripes or orangatang butt. Now that they are so cheap I might just try that.
If you zoom in, this BPS $3.00 popper caught 30+ stripers & SMB Each Day camped Stanton within 50’ Of the RV. Didn’t need the boat to have a great time.. Sq

Attachments

• 3589607A-4A7E-4575-88E3-6533FF3B24CD.jpeg
    3589607A-4A7E-4575-88E3-6533FF3B24CD.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
If you zoom in, this BPS $3.00 popper caught 30+ stripers & SMB Each Day camped Stanton within 50’ Of the RV. Didn’t need the boat to have a great time.. Sq
Yup, I have one hanging on the rack right now with the silver base coat, will do the sky blue tomorrow after it dries then the scales. For $3 why would anyone do what I'm doing? Cause mine is 80 pennies and fun.

Yup, I have one hanging on the rack right now with the silver base coat, will do the sky blue tomorrow after it dries then the scales. For $3 why would anyone do what I'm doing? Cause mine is 80 pennies and fun.
Fly fishing the surface for stripers is just too much fun. I “tie” my own poppers and I have tried some pretty funky patterns and they all seem to work. I used to put a lot of time into painting them but not so much anymore. My latest is just mixing epoxy with sparkles and painting that on the body. They last forever and are quick and easy. If you guys have not tried this before, you can tie a small fly 20” behind a big popper and when the bills are quick and sporadic throw that in and make a bunch of noise. You might be surprised how many times the trailer gets eaten. Called a chug-bug and pulls action up very well. Yes squirrel, you can tie a fly on the back of your spinning plug and do the same thing!

TR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back