San Juan Hazard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

For those that frequent the SJ. Pegasus picture #48 shows a whale that has only shown itself only a couple
of times since we have been going to Powell since 96. It will be gone as the water rises so be aware of it. They are of that whale.
I circled it in the first photo. This would be a bad area to get stranded.
The second and third photo's were taken Aug 19, 2013.

Jimbo,
Spencer's Camp is above the Great Bend and is high and dry right now.....only the river running through Spencer's. The end of the lake will actually be well before the Great Bend in the channel leading out of the big bay that has Neskahai Wash. Last October the lake ended well before Alcove Canyon...several miles below Spencer"s. Chuck

Jimbo,
Spencer's Camp is above the Great Bend and is high and dry right now.....only the river running through Spencer's. The end of the lake will actually be well before the Great Bend in the channel leading out of the big bay that has Neskahai Wash. Last October the lake ended well before Alcove Canyon...several miles below Spencer"s. Chuck

Was not sure which side of those cliffs Spencer was on. So it would be over on the other side of cliffs?
The farthest we have ever ventured is Alcove Canyon. Always ran into surface debris.

Last edited:
For those that frequent the SJ. Pegasus picture #48 shows a whale that has only shown itself only a couple
of times since we have been going to Powell since 96. It will be gone as the water rises so be aware of it. They are of that whale.
I circled it in the first photo. This would be a bad area to get stranded.
The second and third photo's were taken Aug 19, 2013.
View attachment 4390View attachment 4391View attachment 4392
I KNOW that whale. Discovered it during our September trip last year. Scared the bejeezus out of me when I found it. Really hard to see, especially late evening as we headed back to Cha bay each evening. We tried marking it with a milk jug.

I KNOW that whale. Discovered it during our September trip last year. Scared the bejeezus out of me when I found it. Really hard to see, especially late evening as we headed back to Cha bay each evening. We tried marking it with a milk jug.
I'd have to bet the jug ain't there anymore. And ain't it always late evening when we venture into that realm.. By the way I haven't seen the red sand giraffe in forever.

I'd have to bet the jug ain't there anymore. And ain't it always late evening when we venture into that realm.. By the way I haven't seen the red sand giraffe in forever.

I believe someone ID'd it as a Red Canyon Giraffe and migrates according to water levels. I don't know..

Is it safe from the Mouth of the Juan to Wilson Creek? Staying in the river channel? Thank you for getting info out there . GPS coordinates ?

Thank you! Brother ! Any one have the water temp up the Juan? It's 54 degrees in Escalate at 2:00 today .

This big whale is in the lower end of the big bay where Piute Creek and Neskahi Wash are. There more getting into Piute too. Chuck

they are all big to me. I'm still confused as to where the one is that was taken from the plane and circled. Help me out. That will probably be just submerged when we run through.

they are all big to me. I'm still confused as to where the one is that was taken from the plane and circled. Help me out. That will probably be just submerged when we run through.
Going upstream, the circled whale is just around the corner after you pass the rim arches and Deep Canyon, which are both upriver from Wilson Creek. When you round the corner into the very large Paiute Bay, head towards the island (which I've dubbed Abbey Island) and the whale will be to your left.

I know exactly where you are talking about...I've never seen that one. Thank you so much. i have fished that rock before but it was around 50' deep.
wow. I was looking at paiute backwards like the view was upriver. duh

Going upstream, the circled whale is just around the corner after you pass the rim arches and Deep Canyon, which are both upriver from Wilson Creek. When you round the corner into the very large Paiute Bay, head towards the island (which I've dubbed Abbey Island) and the whale will be to your left.

I like that you dubbed it Abbey Island. I hope it sticks so we are all on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back