Regal 2400 advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Cue

I have been on the lookout for a larger boat. I found an 04 Regal 2400 deck boat with a 350 mag and b3 with low hours and in good shape. The problem is that I don't know anything about Regal boats so I am asking for any advise or opinions from any Regal boat owners. I have been looking for a Sea Ray 240 sundeck but they are hard to find and this is very similar. Tell me all your pros and cons please. Thanks wordlings.

Regal is a very nice boat. Personally I'd say a bit above Sea Ray for quality.

That said, my opinion is that it is more important how the previous owner treated the boat than what the quality was when new if you are buying a used boat.

We looked at Regal when we bought our Sea Ray 240 Sundancer. The Sea Ray layout fit us better, and it seemed like the upholstery was better quality and better finished. Of course that was 2000, before Sea Ray was bought by Bayliner.

We own a Regal '97 258 Commodore, it has been a great boat for us and has held up well.

if the seller has all maintenance records, you don't see a lot of electrolysis on the drive, you have a qualified boat mechanic scan the boat with the laptop and get a good thumbs up, then I would believe that if the layout of the regal fits your needs you have a great boat. its worth the $150 most shops charge for a buying mechanical inspection, you can get a printout of hours and rpm ranges the motor has ran at.

I've got a 1995 Regal Destiny 240 (24ft Deck boat) and we love it. Regal's are FANTASTIC boats.
If you purchase it be sure to join @regalboatowners , regalboatowners, and @regalboatingnetwork on facebook.

You have your answers. Report back with pictures.
You will love a giant deck boat at Powell. We had a Sea Ray 240 Sundeck, and then a 270 Sundeck. A perfect big lake boat.

You have your answers. Report back with pictures.
You will love a giant deck boat at Powell. We had a Sea Ray 240 Sundeck, and then a 270 Sundeck. A perfect big lake boat.
I've looked at both the 240 and 270, it seems the main difference is the swindeck on the 270 is integrated in the hull and the 240 is not. Is the inside really much larger?

No. Maybe a foot inside. It is a full 1000 pounds heavier, rides through the big waves slightly better, although the 240 handles rough water great. I like the sink/cooler storage area better on the 270, and it comes with the 496 engine as an option. I wouldn't consider that boat with the stock 6.2, although the 6.2 is great on the 240. Confusing enough?

No. Maybe a foot inside. It is a full 1000 pounds heavier, rides through the big waves slightly better, although the 240 handles rough water great. I like the sink/cooler storage area better on the 270, and it comes with the 496 engine as an option. I wouldn't consider that boat with the stock 6.2, although the 6.2 is great on the 240. Confusing enough?
Thats about what i thought. Is the bow any larger on the 270?

The bow area is probably 6 inches bigger, but it would be hard to claim that you are moving up to a larger bow seating area, because the 240 is so delightfully big up front.
The gas tank on the 270 holds 85 gallons, up from 65 on the 240. That's never bad on a big lake. And, with the 270 and 496, you can pull a fat slalom skier out of the hole pretty effortlessly with 8 people on board and a full gas tank. That impressed me. You need 22 pitch Bravo three props at Powell.
The problem with the 270 is that there weren't very many made. I bet the 240 was made 20-1 over the 270. So, finding a low hour nice fresh water boat is more of a challenge.
Also, A half ton will tow the 240 all day long, which is about 6300 on the trailer without gas, but the 270 is over 8000 with the trailer. Effortless for a diesel, but you feel it more with a half ton. On the flats, you are fine, but up and over Eisenhower tunnel you will be gasping for air.

I'm not doubting you, but I am surprised that two boats so close in size would be 1700 pounds different in weight.

And I would concur to get the biggest engine you can find.

The 240 claims 4600 lbs with a 5.0, and the 270 claims 5800 with a 6.2. But, in the configuration you are most likely to find in the 270, which is a 496, and with the bigger gas tank, the 270 is a lot heavier.

Well, unfortunately, this 240 isn't the one. Pictures make everything look so good. I do think the 240 is what we want. It is so spacious and seems very comfortable with a lot of storage. Guess I'll keep looking.

Just curious, our Sea Ray 240 Sundancer was over 6500 pounds, and the standard 5.7 efi with the Bravo 2, was enough to pull up a skier, with the economy to go from Wahweap to CID, 3 nights camping, running the engine to recharge the batteries every day, and back to Wahweap on 3/4 of a tank. On my previous boat, we never passed DR without filling up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back