Recent Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungee

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Got back a few days ago. This time I took my son and then my daughter on her first Powell trip, also brought Andrew his son and my Dad. Fishing was amazing, we fished and camped somewhere between Hite and Page for four nights. For the last year or so Nixon seemed to lose a little bit of his self determined drive to fish without push, but this trip he was back to his three year old self. He really took to a spinning rod set up for the first time and did amazing. I can neither confirm or deny that he caught more than I did. We caught just about everything, more some than others, we didn't use bait, that's as detailed as I'll get. I don't want to ruin the legacy of fishing for some of those out there. We kept our limits of smallies and tried to help best we could. I hope this helps.

Please, please don't keep any Largemouth, got a report from someone that 7 boats in one week had a lot of people on each and each had a limit of Largemouth. That report also stated those people got their info on what baits to use from us. They also said Largemouth numbers are way down so Im not sure how inexperienced Powell fisherman got so many limits when I myself have only caught two limits of Largies in three trips...

My daughter is hooked and on the same track as Nixon, just a little behind, she needs more practice. Thanks for all the great info and friendship on this site, Powell fishing is truly amazing.

PS, keep your limits of smallies under 13"!!!!!

PPS @Reed your cow is still floating

-Preston

Wayne Pic 1.jpg
Wayne pic 2.jpg
Wayne 3.jpg
wayne 4.jpg
wayne 5.jpg
wayne 6.jpg
wayne 7.jpeg

Got back a few days ago. This time I took my son and then my daughter on her first Powell trip, also brought Andrew his son and my Dad. Fishing was amazing, we fished and camped somewhere between Hite and Page for four nights. For the last year or so Nixon seemed to lose a little bit of his self determined drive to fish without push, but this trip he was back to his three year old self. He really took to a spinning rod set up for the first time and did amazing. I can neither confirm or deny that he caught more than I did. We caught just about everything, more some than others, we didn't use bait, that's as detailed as I'll get. I don't want to ruin the legacy of fishing for some of those out there. We kept our limits of smallies and tried to help best we could. I hope this helps.

Please, please don't keep any Largemouth, got a report from someone that 7 boats in one week had a lot of people on each and each had a limit of Largemouth. That report also stated those people got their info on what baits to use from us. They also said Largemouth numbers are way down so Im not sure how inexperienced Powell fisherman got so many limits when I myself have only caught two limits of Largies in three trips...

My daughter is hooked and on the same track as Nixon, just a little behind, she needs more practice. Thanks for all the great info and friendship on this site, Powell fishing is truly amazing.

PS, keep your limits of smallies under 13"!!!!!

PPS @Reed your cow is still floating

-Preston

View attachment 4842
View attachment 4843
View attachment 4844
View attachment 4845
View attachment 4846
View attachment 4847
View attachment 4848
There are definitely a lot of other fish to keep we need to let the large mouth go for sure.

Great fishing trip for Dad to be there to help his little ones learn how to fish. It seems that just last year I was doing that with my kids. Great memories! I took my 3rd child out boil fishing in Warm Creek when he was 4 years old. We got close to a boil and he was able to cast and catch a nice striper. We have him on video reeling in the fish and saying "I caught the little sucker!" Where does the time go?

P.S. Nixon is growing up fast. Enjoy every minute of your time while you can.

@wayne gustaveson can't you change the regs to be catch and release only for large mouth and crappie? Every if for only like 5 years..

Thats a good point. I will give it a try but we only change fishing rules every 2 years so it will take a while. In the mean time I will continue to remind anglers that largemouth and crappie do not survive well when there is no brushy cover.

The biggest problem to catch and release only is the tournaments and how that would be regulated. I know most tournament anglers never keep them after weigh in. Its sacrilege. But when they are in your livewell you are in possession of those fish. I do like what you are thinking though.

The biggest problem to catch and release only is the tournaments and how that would be regulated. I know most tournament anglers never keep them after weigh in. Its sacrilege. But when they are in your livewell you are in possession of those fish. I do like what you are thinking though.

I know that a true weigh in is the best way to keep everyone honest... but I know even some major tournaments have a co angler or viewer on the boat who simply verifies each fish. Maybe a picture of the weight, the fish and the person who caught it could be enough?

When I was fishing bass tournaments in calif we fished some lakes that had 15 inch minimum and two fish limit but with fish and game approval we were allowed 13 inch and 5 fish limit all tournament boats had a colored sticky dot put on the motor to identify tournament boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back