Quick trip: Warm Creek

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYam4

I made a quick run to the lake yesterday to try out the new gear I bought and see how it goes. Being totally new to this kind of fishing I figured as long as I learn something, that’a a good thing.
I spent most of the day up in the cove at the back of Warm Creek Bay. I was trolling a Bomber BD8 Fat Free Shad deep diving crankbait 100 ft out, at about 3-3.3 MPH. Dragging a 5 gallon bucket seemed to work fairly well for slowing down (drilled about 9 holes on the bottom and removed the wire handle). Dropping the bow mount trolling motor slowed us down a bit more. This may not be the long term method but it seemed to work. Once I got in the 20ft water at the north end I found fish on the graph. Not sure if fish in this relative shallow water would have been stripers or more likely smallmouth. I dropped a spoon as soon as I could. Tried to jig up and down. No no bite however. Tried that for a while in the same general area but still no luck. My son tried casting and retrieving a different deep diving crankbait. No luck with that either. At some point he used a ned riggged Yamamoto double hula grub plastic bait. I told him to have it sit on bottom and occasionally hop it around. I’m not sure how his technique was but no luck.
So we headed to deeper water a bit south of there, trolling the whole way. Came up on more fish on the graph at about 30 ft down. Tried much of the same stuff, especially the spoon but no bites. Kept trolling and eventually came up on a 3rd group of fish at around 40 ft. Didn’t get them to bite either. So I’m actually happy about finding fish but I’m still left wondering about our execution.

There were a number of challenges that I felt was hampering all our efforts. For one, there was a light breeze and we kept drifting away from the fish while I kept trying to manually keep us on track with the foot pedal of the trolling motor (spot lock is on my wish list). I feel like I did a poor job. Eventually I started to drop anchor but by the time I did that we had probably drifted a bit far. I figure I need to be ready to drop anchor right away next time. Either that or put a mark on my fishfinder map right away and get better at staying near the spot. Question: how bad does dropping anchor scare the fish?

Another challenge was related to the first challenge. I’m not sure how well the spoon flutters down when the boat is drifting. Seems like ideally you should be somewhat stationary. Lastly, the reel I was using with the spoon had a line counter so I could see how deep it was dropping. It was an Okuma Magda, which is on the cheap end. I feel like I could not get it to release and spin freely enough to allow the spoon to drop without
a small amount of back tension applied to the line. I know that the dropping, fluttering action is the important part so next time I’ll try another reel. Seems like there’s a fine balance between freely letting the line go (like opening the bail on a spinning reel) which won’t allow you to feel a strike, and hampering the falling motion with too much back tension. I need to find where that is.

All in all, I’m glad we went, even though there were no fish caught. It was a beautiful day in the 60s on the lake. We learned some stuff. I will keep learning until hopefully it pays off.

In my very short spooning experience I think that the slab spoons which have less flutter and just get to the fish are more affective than say a fluttering kastmaster. I liked seeing the fish and getting the spoon to them asap and then trying to get them to bite with the action i was giving the spoon 4-5 feet straight off the bottom. I was outmatching my dad last time when he was using a kastmaster, he still caught some but I think me just getting in their face faster helped. You can manually add action to the slab spoon, but you can't manually add quicker sinking ability to a more fluttery spoon. Hope that makes sense.

I am old school and still like to use markers, it gives me a visual and if the fish are moving it gives me a direction. Years ago I made my own and used them for Mack all the time. Not a bad idea with stripers and if they wrap around the marker line it’s not as serious as the anchor line.

I made a quick run to the lake yesterday to try out the new gear I bought and see how it goes. Being totally new to this kind of fishing I figured as long as I learn something, that’a a good thing.
I spent most of the day up in the cove at the back of Warm Creek Bay. I was trolling a Bomber BD8 Fat Free Shad deep diving crankbait 100 ft out, at about 3-3.3 MPH. Dragging a 5 gallon bucket seemed to work fairly well for slowing down (drilled about 9 holes on the bottom and removed the wire handle). Dropping the bow mount trolling motor slowed us down a bit more. This may not be the long term method but it seemed to work. Once I got in the 20ft water at the north end I found fish on the graph. Not sure if fish in this relative shallow water would have been stripers or more likely smallmouth. I dropped a spoon as soon as I could. Tried to jig up and down. No no bite however. Tried that for a while in the same general area but still no luck. My son tried casting and retrieving a different deep diving crankbait. No luck with that either. At some point he used a ned riggged Yamamoto double hula grub plastic bait. I told him to have it sit on bottom and occasionally hop it around. I’m not sure how his technique was but no luck.
So we headed to deeper water a bit south of there, trolling the whole way. Came up on more fish on the graph at about 30 ft down. Tried much of the same stuff, especially the spoon but no bites. Kept trolling and eventually came up on a 3rd group of fish at around 40 ft. Didn’t get them to bite either. So I’m actually happy about finding fish but I’m still left wondering about our execution.

There were a number of challenges that I felt was hampering all our efforts. For one, there was a light breeze and we kept drifting away from the fish while I kept trying to manually keep us on track with the foot pedal of the trolling motor (spot lock is on my wish list). I feel like I did a poor job. Eventually I started to drop anchor but by the time I did that we had probably drifted a bit far. I figure I need to be ready to drop anchor right away next time. Either that or put a mark on my fishfinder map right away and get better at staying near the spot. Question: how bad does dropping anchor scare the fish?

Another challenge was related to the first challenge. I’m not sure how well the spoon flutters down when the boat is drifting. Seems like ideally you should be somewhat stationary. Lastly, the reel I was using with the spoon had a line counter so I could see how deep it was dropping. It was an Okuma Magda, which is on the cheap end. I feel like I could not get it to release and spin freely enough to allow the spoon to drop without
a small amount of back tension applied to the line. I know that the dropping, fluttering action is the important part so next time I’ll try another reel. Seems like there’s a fine balance between freely letting the line go (like opening the bail on a spinning reel) which won’t allow you to feel a strike, and hampering the falling motion with too much back tension. I need to find where that is.

All in all, I’m glad we went, even though there were no fish caught. It was a beautiful day in the 60s on the lake. We learned some stuff. I will keep learning until hopefully it pays off.

Let me see if I can make you feel better about your fishing experience. I went to Warm Creek on Friday, used spoons to target stripers. I caught NO fish. Another group tried it on Saturday with similar results.

Next time use the exact same methods - just go uplake a bit farther. If you see fish on the graph that will not bite. Move on. The most dependable spots in the southern lake are the back of Navajo, Gunsight, Last Chance, Friendship Cove and Rock Creek. Do not give up on spoons yet. Here is what you need to see before you can catch stripers. If you see these fish swimming along the bottom it is likely that your spoon will work as you drop it to the bottom and into the school. My guess is you did not see this in Warm Creek.

20200208_132836.jpg

0.jpg

Here is another picture of active fish. Sorry for the reflection. I grabbed a quick picture before dropping my spoon
I use regular scanner (left)and down scan on the right side.
You can see fish lines on the left and then confirm that they are fish (not brush or trees) by the fish shapes on the right. When you see this - fish will bite!

View attachment 6910

Here is another picture of active fish. Sorry for the reflection. I grabbed a quick picture before dropping my spoon
I use regular scanner (left)and down scan on the right side.
You can see fish lines on the left and then confirm that they are fish (not brush or trees) by the fish shapes on the right. When you see this - fish will bite!

Wish I would’ve known this trick sooner. After splitting the screen with half down imaging it was much easier to decipher what was actually on the screen.

Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, I do feel better now. And no, I did not see THAT level of "fish mass" below me! Good to know what to look for. It's a brand new fish finder as well so I'm still learning to read it. Unfortunately it does not have down imaging though.

I'll avoid camping out in one spot next time and try a variety of locations.

I'll also give one of those bouy markers a try. Honestly, I had never heard of them before. :)

Wayne is your graph depth off from your contour depth? Maybe that graph does not take into account the water level drop from full pool? Just curious.

Wayne is your graph depth off from your contour depth? Maybe that graph does not take into account the water level drop from full pool? Just curious.

I am sorry but the pictures posted are from two different friends graph. Those pictures came from a Lowrance and a Garmin. The graph I use is a Humminbird. They all work fine and will show pictures of fish schools on the bottom. My graph is not running on other options such as contour on the Lowrance. I do not use that option since I think I know the lake so well. ( I am sure it would help me but I haven't got that option set up). I really rely on the down imaging and want that showing instead of a chart of the depth contours.

Depth contours can be of some help when trolling, but Powell has so many place where you can be 200 yards off shore and 100' of water and 10 seconds later you are in 20 ft of water. About all that does is give you time to stop and save your gear. I like the regular depth chart and down imaging to show most of the time.

I confess that most of the time I run contour map split with traditional sonar, but with 3 quick link settings I can change the screen to show down imaging and traditional split screen with the touch of 1 button . I will have to remember to check that when I run into a similar screen. Thanks for posting the images they really helps me with figuring out what I am looking at.

I was there Saturday as well. Probably saw you. Tough fishing!! Caught two 20 inch plus striper and one fat small mouth. trolled at 2.5 and caught all 3 with a Smithwick Rattlin' Rogue. No hits on striper in shallow water. Even though i was seeing them on the fish finder. Caught both at about 60ft depth. The striper were eating all night under that super moon and didnt want anything we had.
IMG_1104.jpg

An easy way to stay on a spot is to toss a marker and use the trolling motor to stay on the marker. By the way I love our spot lock.
You have spot lock and modern electronics no need for old school markers with piece of string. Set a waypoint on graph same thing as throwing that marker over the side except that you don't have to wind it back up when done. The new spot lock will hold nuts on, jog feature you can move 5 feet any direction as school starts to Peter out . You spent allot money on electronics , use them and you will throw the marker buoys in the trash can IMHO. Disclaimer spot lock does have problems in steep canyons at powell, loses gps signal .

An easy way to stay on a spot is to toss a marker and use the trolling motor to stay on the marker. By the way I love our spot lock.

This reminded me of a weird thing my wife and I found at LP a few years ago up in GHB. There was one of those marker buoys floating around with nobody in site for hours. I grabbed it and found it was attached to a live Striper?!?! I guess someone was trying to mark the school or something? Seems kind of illegal and unethical IMHO.....

This reminded me of a weird thing my wife and I found at LP a few years ago up in GHB. There was one of those marker buoys floating around with nobody in site for hours. I grabbed it and found it was attached to a live Striper?!?! I guess someone was trying to mark the school or something? Seems kind of illegal and unethical IMHO.....

Or the Striper ate it on the way down... an unpainted spoon with no hook🤷‍♂️...

You have spot lock and modern electronics no need for old school markers with piece of string. Set a waypoint on graph same thing as throwing that marker over the side except that you don't have to wind it back up when done. The new spot lock will hold nuts on, jog feature you can move 5 feet any direction as school starts to Peter out . You spent allot money on electronics , use them and you will throw the marker buoys in the trash can IMHO. Disclaimer spot lock does have problems in steep canyons at powell, loses gps signal .

I dunno. I did set a waypoint last time and I’m sure it takes practice but I’d wander around trying to figure out how steer back to the mark on the graph using my foot pedal for a bit before I got on track. Maybe I lack skill but I figure I’ll try the buoy for a bit. I’ll simplify where I can until I get a better handle on everything! No funds this year for spot lock unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back