Questions on Quagga Mussel Procedures for UDWR Response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes there is signage coming from the Executive Services ramp, at the turnoff to the lodge and at the intersection at the welcome center. You can’t leave Bullfrog without seeing them. That was as of 2 weeks ago when I was there. Sq

Last edited:
Yes there is signage coming from the Executive Services ramp, at the turnoff to the lodge and at the intersection at the welcome center. You can’t leave Bullfrog without seeing them. That was as of 2 weeks ago when I was there. Sq
Oh I don't know how I missed them, I didn't see them last week end but maybe I was sleepy!

Oh I don't know how I missed them, I didn't see them last week end but maybe I was sleepy!
I'm at BF now
Had the boat deconned today. They were very professional and thorough. When you leave Powell you get a seal of inspection attached to the trailer and the front eyelet of your boat or a receipt of decon. Signage is on the roadway in several places requiring this before leaving.

I got decontaminated last year at wahweep it was a complete joke mind you I have a 26 foot water ballast sail boat and I know they are the worst for transportation of mussels I only put my boat in infested water but my boat dries for at least a month between launches the girls working tried to do a good job but they almost flooded my cabin of my boat I will refuse decontamination in the future with out a supervisor

This is for the pro's, and just a recent observation while fishing this last weekend:
Like most fishing boats, I have a live well. Along with it is a pump out selection, which when turned on will pump out the live well, along with a gravity drain.
My son and I were on the boat going over gear one evening after leaving the water and at one point both of us wound up on the same back corner of the boat as the discharge ports for the bilge and live well. I happened to notice that with the extra weight and the boat leaning slightly that there was water running down the side of the boat from the live well discharge port. After a quick exam, I discovered that the hose coming from the discharge pump to the port was virtually full of water. This was trapped water that even a 30 day dry period would not dry up.
It's been quite some time since I have gone through a full decon, but the last one I had did not run water through my live well or run any of the discharge pumps, bilge included. Something to consider???
I performed my own decon with near boiling water after returning home, running all pumps and water through the live well.
Don't know if the spread of AIS can be stopped, but we all have to give it our best effort.

I got decontaminated last year at wahweep it was a complete joke mind you I have a 26 foot water ballast sail boat and I know they are the worst for transportation of mussels I only put my boat in infested water but my boat dries for at least a month between launches the girls working tried to do a good job but they almost flooded my cabin of my boat I will refuse decontamination in the future with out a supervisor
Had a similar issue with decon at a Colorado reservoir last year. The young man was just trying to do a good job, but he put pressurized water in my bathroom sink drain(we have a cabin cruiser) that thru-hull is above the water line. It took a significant amount of time to clean up the mess in the bathroom. I don't mind going through the process, but some better training may be in order.

Had a similar issue with decon at a Colorado reservoir last year. The young man was just trying to do a good job, but he put pressurized water in my bathroom sink drain(we have a cabin cruiser) that thru-hull is above the water line. It took a significant amount of time to clean up the mess in the bathroom. I don't mind going through the process, but some better training may be in order.

The first time my Malibu was decontaminated, they almost burned up my bow ballast impeller because the underwater intake port was so close to one of my trailer bunks that they couldn't get the tank to take water. They ended up having to call my dealer to see what their recommendation was.

There are so many different types/designs of boats out there I don't think it is realistic to expect any of the state inspectors to know all the nuances.

My suggestion is to learn what it takes to decontaminate your boat, and walk the technician through it. I know exactly how to decon my boat, and I walk them through the process. Each time. That way you know it is done properly so that your boat is clean, and undamaged.

My scenario is this. I dry store my trailerable boat at Offshore Marina. I pick it up on the way to the lake and drop it off when I am leaving.

I've heard different answers to this question. ---> Since it is technically outside of the park, do I need inspection if I am going - (towing myself) - to Offshore for dry storage? The trailer has the Offshore storage sticker on it.

I've typed and erased about 4 posts now. Maybe the 5th is the charm.

If you don't have any visible mussels, I wouldn't worry about going to Bullfrog for decontamination. If you decide to launch in Colorado, you will need to have someone there do a decontamination anyway - last I checked, they don't recognize a Utah decon.
Colo does not recognize Utah decon at this point. Colo is more strict, IMHO, given that they require entry inspections / decon.

My scenario is this. I dry store my trailerable boat at Offshore Marina. I pick it up on the way to the lake and drop it off when I am leaving.

I've heard different answers to this question. ---> Since it is technically outside of the park, do I need inspection if I am going - (towing myself) - to Offshore for dry storage? The trailer has the Offshore storage sticker on it.

If you are not taking the boat away from Bullfrog then it can be declared as a "local boat" and no decon is required. When you take it away from Bullfrog then you need to decontaminate before leaving.

If you are not taking the boat away from Bullfrog then it can be declared as a "local boat" and no decon is required. When you take it away from Bullfrog then you need to decontaminate before leaving.

So, Wayne, would Offshore Marina be considered to be in your "Bullfrog" area and a local boat? Thanks!

Colo does not recognize Utah decon at this point. Colo is more strict, IMHO, given that they require entry inspections / decon.
Which is why I wouldn't have my boat decontaminated at Powell. I have to have my boat deconned at home regardless of what happens at Powell.

This is outside my jurisdiction so I will ask that question and get back to you.
I asked several people (entrance ranger, State Trooper, ramp attendant, decon attendant) the same question about inspection being required if you are headed to Offshore Marina for storage and got several different answers. Best advice is to go through the decon, if you are headed anywhere outside of the park for any reason, including Ticaboo or Offshore Marina. That check is quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back