Questions on Quagga Mussel Procedures for UDWR Response

Pegasus

When I launched at APM earlier this week, I received the attached document stating mussel laws in AZ and UT. The laws/rules stated in these documents are a bit different than postings on this site from back in March so I thought I'd post the documents for your perusal. I recommend reading them prior to your lake trips this year. The decon process is much different for each state.IMG_20170510_1536282.jpg IMG_20170510_1536011.jpg

powl4evr

Good Evening,
I have not been to the lake in a couple of years. Is there anything i will need to do to my boat before launching?

GPSPOWELL

It appears I should have posted this question here so here goes: Okay, after a long hiatus we will be returning to Lake Powell in late July from Colorado with a new/old boat refitted to be used there exclusively. We intend to launch at Hite, at least for this year. Since I will be taking the boat back to Colorado to store here on the farm until its return to LP, do I need to take it to Bullfrog for decontamination before traveling interstate home? Is there an alternative? Thanks.

Jackalope

Quote:
"
Current Arizona Game and Fish Department Director’s Orders
Required by Law in Arizona
{A.R.S. §17-255} {R12-4-1102}

Some Arizona waterways infested with quagga mussels and other aquatic invasive species. AZ Map of Listed Species

Before leaving a listed water, you must:

Clean & dry – Remove all mud, plants and mussels from your boat or equipment. This includes hull, anchor and chain/ lines, stern attachments, engine and trailer. Allow your boat and equipment to dry the best extent possible before transporting. For more specific protocols see Director’s Order #3.

Remove plug and drain – Completely drain all water from bilge, live wells, ballast tanks and other compartments prior to transport. If applicable drain water from lower engine unit.

If watercraft was on listed waters for six or more consecutive days, you must complete the above steps, then additionally:

Decontaminate and desiccate – Watercraft owners/ transporters are responsible for having their boats and equipment decontaminated after removal from waterbody and prior to transport. Before launching to another waterbody or transporting to another state, you must also desiccate you boat and equipment for 18 consecutive days from November through April or 7 consecutive days from May through October. For more detailed cleaning protocols, see Director’s Order #3.

Fill out and submit AISBIR form prior to transport – For more information and to download the AIS Boat Inspection Report (AISBIR) form.

"
Question:
I will be playing in Lake Powell for 2 consecutive weeks with my ski boat, does this mean that I will have to "desiccate" my boat for 7 days before heading home to California?

Meatwagon

I would think that California law would be your main concern, unless you plan on launching in another lake in Arizona, in which case you would need to wait 7 days before launching. In my opinion that would be the responsible thing to do regardless where you plan to launch next.

Jackalope

It's rare for my boat to launch any place, except Powell, but saying that, I know that part and would never want to move a mussel ;) ... but if you read the law...

Ryan

It appears I should have posted this question here so here goes: Okay, after a long hiatus we will be returning to Lake Powell in late July from Colorado with a new/old boat refitted to be used there exclusively. We intend to launch at Hite, at least for this year. Since I will be taking the boat back to Colorado to store here on the farm until its return to LP, do I need to take it to Bullfrog for decontamination before traveling interstate home? Is there an alternative? Thanks.
I've typed and erased about 4 posts now. Maybe the 5th is the charm.

If you don't have any visible mussels, I wouldn't worry about going to Bullfrog for decontamination. If you decide to launch in Colorado, you will need to have someone there do a decontamination anyway - last I checked, they don't recognize a Utah decon.

rimrockunlimted

If you have questions on inspections, decontaminations, law enforcement, or anything else related to QM: ask here and I will have those in charge offer more information.
Just wanted to tell of my recent experience when leaving Bullfrog after a week on the lake. Pulled out around 8:30 A.M. on a Friday and was told by the NPS guy at the top of the ramp that the check station at Lot D was not staffed today and I was good to drive on out,after being given the pamphlet again. Saw some workers ? in lot D and decided to stop and check with them. Two young ladies with DWR came out and I told them that I was told they were closed and did not have to stop for an inspection by the guy at the ramp. They said they would tell him that yes they were open today. I explained that I was heading home to Idaho and would be fishing Flaming Gorge in a week and would like the boat deconned. They said that none of their 3 machines were operational and did a cursory visual inspection and tagged my boat. I drove home and stopped at the inspection station at the rest area outside of Malad. Again 2 young ladies came out and after telling them I had come from LP that morning they had their equipment fired up in record time and did a thorough decon on my boat. They seemed very knowledgable and professional. I asked if had I been deconned by DWR at LP and had documentation would they accept that. They said that no they would not and would do their own cleaning as then they knew it had been done correctly. The whole experience with the personnel at LP, both NPS and DWR was underwhelming to say the least. No coordination between agencies. How can the inspection station be closed on a Friday going in to the weekend, and why were none of the 3 machines operational. I know I will be told that it is my responsibility to contact a private decon company and have my boat cleaned before launching on another water if I haven't met the time requirements for the clean, drain and dry. My concern is that we have a facility set up at Bullfrog that had to have cost a lot of money and we don't use it? The devastation the mussels have caused since my trip to LP last year is disheartening to say the least. Idaho is making a concerted effort to address invasive species infestation and seems to be using the money they get from their fee to actually do something concrete to try and keep invasives out. With the lack of coordination I saw between agencies it is just a matter of time before we see this problem spread to other bodies of water.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Its been a tough year for the Bullfrog AIS team. The team leader got another job just before the hiring process was complete which slowed down the organization and made it tough to staff the ramp. Hopefully that set back is now mended and the ramp techs will be in place and inspecting boats soon. I will forward your comments to the Regional supervisor so he knows there is concern from those boaters trying to do the right thing when leaving Lake Powell.

Last edited:
Do out of state boats get a mandatory inspection each time? My Wakesetter is registered in MT, everyone keeps saying I will have to get inspected before entering a lake in Utah is that true?

That reminds me, if you are coming out of the executive services ramp they do not have any signs up to go to the decontamination area... I saw many boaters just drive right out of the executive service launch and head home, hopefully they get some signs over there.

Mildog

We always clean drain and dry. What is the procedure if no one is at lot D to inspect and you are leaving lake Powell to head home?
If you arrive early or leave late there is usually not anyone on duty.