Questions about the San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub

I'm looking for info about the San Juan I have fished the north end of the lake my whole life never been south of halls.that being said can I go down and back from bullfrog in a day? We go as far whites and back alot. Is it comparable

You can go down and back in a day but that does not leave much time to fish unless you have a boat that goes really fast. Mouth of SJ is Buoy 57 (Bullfrog is 95) then you run another 10-15 miles to Cha Bay or further to Piute Bay or further to the Great Bend. Yes its worth it but I would like to have more time to spend there once I arrive.

You can go down and back in a day but that does not leave much time to fish unless you have a boat that goes really fast. Mouth of SJ is Buoy 57 (Bullfrog is 95) then you run another 10-15 miles to Cha Bay or further to Piute Bay or further to the Great Bend. Yes its worth it but I would like to have more time to spend there once I arrive.
We do have a small house boat is there any spots half way or so?

We do have a small house boat is there any spots half way or so?

Sure - Rincon and Iceberg is a great spot for the first day. Hiking in Long and Bowns Canyon is awesome.

Escalante Arm in the back from 50 mile Canyon (also Cathedral in the Desert, LaGorce Arch, Zane Grey Arch) too much to see, too little time.

Cottonwood and Llewellyn Canyons, Hole-in-the-rock

Mouth of the San Juan -Jacks Arch, Reflection Canyon

Sorry I got carried away but there is a lot to see and places to stop along the way.

One more question what is cosidered a fast boat? We have a 21'ranger reata we cruise around 50 mph with more in reserve

One more question what is cosidered a fast boat? We have a 21'ranger reata we cruise around 50 mph with more in reserve

My boat cruises at 30 mph- Yours is officially fast.
You can make the mouth of the SJ in 1 hour if you don't stop along the way and then be in Cha Canyon in another 15 minutes and the Great Bend in another half hour.

Wayne yours is faster. The house boat only does 6mph but I can be trolling for over 11hours on the way to the San Juan. SOME DAY I MIGHT CATCH A FISH TROLLING.

Wayne yours is faster. The house boat only does 6mph but I can be trolling for over 11hours on the way to the San Juan. SOME DAY I MIGHT CATCH A FISH TROLLING.
Keep trolling - You may finally catch one fish in the main channel:

January 4, 2012 - Ryan Kimball - Trophy Walleye
Angler's Corner >> Lake Powell Big Striper Contest

August 26, 2011 - Brian Shaw - Trophy Striper - Knowles Canyon

I'm not one that usually brags but my mother keeps telling me to send picture's of my Striper to you from our recent trip to Lake Powell, so in the interest of keeping the piece with my mother here is a few pictures of my fish along with a little story on catching her........

We finally got under way to Knowles Canyon from Bullfrog in the house boat around 8am on Friday Aug.26th knowing it would take awhile to get up there. This is my Second trip to Powell but its been around 20yrs so. It's been so long it seems like I'm here for the first time. My parents are part owners in a house boat and have been here 4-5 times in the last few years and use it as a get away as often as they can. They invited my wife and I to accompany them on this trip to give us some time away form the every day grind. Now as we all know house boats don't exactly get up on plain and move quickly, so at a whole 8-9 mph we are heading up-lake to Knowles canyon to spend 5 days. Now my dad has always been and avid fishermen and has done some amazing things while fishing and he him self has caught a trophy Striper in Lake Mead (36lbs 46") in the Mid 80's but nothing of trophy size out of Powell yet.

So as we are "cruzing-uplake we start talking about all the different types of ways we have caught Stripers. Then is occurred to us that usually we have trolled for them around 6 mph. So I slowed us down and he rigged two rods, one with a white Reef Dancer and on with a White 8" Kalins Curly Tale Jig (He was at the Ocean the week before and had this Jig handy) attached some rod holders and Pow! we were trolling for Stripers.

Now, as we all know when most people go buzzing by a house boat they don't expect to see it trolling for stripers so I'm sure there were a few boats that passed buy shook there heads and yes we didn't really expect to hook-up anyway so we really didn't pay that much attention to the rods.

Know as my dad and I are switching off and on steering the boat we would check the rods, or if my wife and I would go up top I would every now and then eyeball the rods. I mean, really are you going to hook-up on a fish?

So it's hot and I mean HOT! As I walk back to get a drink I thought, well I'll check the Rods. As I walk out I look at the one with the Reef Dancer, looks good. I turn around and look at the one with the big jig, and as I do....BAM!

brian%20shaw.jpg

I grab the rod and yell....Fish-on, Fish-on!

My wife comes back and notice's I have a fish-on and yells it again...Fish-On, Brian has a fish on!

I look at her and ask here to tell dad to stop the boat and as she turns around to tell my dad he's coming through the door way saying he has stopped the boat. I couldn't tell the boat has stopped because the fish was running and taking line. I told my dad "I think it is a Big one, or I'm stuck on bottom"." Bottom? Not in 200ft of water son" he replied.

Then about 50-60 yards out it hit the surface and we both laughed and said "OOOHH, It's Big one". So he jumped in the small boat and grabbed his landing net as I fought. As this is going on my mother and wife were snapping of pictures over the 20 or so minutes of the fight. As the fish got near the boat my dad and I both knew that we would only get one or two shots at landing the fish and with the 12 lbs line and a fish this size anything could happen. So all the years of fishing and all the years of netting large fish I laid her out along the boat. My dad was ready and Scoop! Just like Pro's and on the deck she lies. As I turn to look at my wife she was screaming and running in fear back into the cabin saying "AHHH, It's the biggest fish I ever seen!". Wow, I didn't expect that, but hey it is a Big fish.
"How big dad?" I asked. "Wow son....Big" he said." Maybe bigger than mine, lets see get the yard stick".
As I hold and he measures,"Nope....6" longer than the yard stick".

"Lets try girth with some rope". So my mom locates a piece as my wife is still unsure if the fish going to eat her for lunch.

Brian Shaw holding Trophy
"Well?" I ask. "He's 22 1/2 girth". my mother said.

"Wow, who would of guessed....trolling off the house boat" my dad laughed........

So, It was the only fish caught that day, but we did put the rods back out and trolled the rest of the way into the canyon.

So here are a few pictures I hope you can use for your wonderful Web site. We didn't get to weigh it but with the measurements I put them in and it came up 32-37 lbs. Oh and buy the way when we were done camping we DID troll back to Bullfrog....At 6mph with large white Kalin's jigs........
Brian Shaw

Boise ID

I compared getting to the confluence about the same as driving from white to bullfrog straight there for a visual...

The other thing to take into consideration is fuel consumption. My old Crownline could run 50 on flat water, but I don't think I could make it to the SJ and back at that speed without worrying about fuel. Which means you either take cans with you, or you add more time to your trip and need to run down to Dangling Rope.
My boat cruises at 30 mph- Yours is officially fast.
You can make the mouth of the SJ in 1 hour if you don't stop along the way and then be in Cha Canyon in another 15 minutes and the Great Bend in another half hour.
***accurate times if the water is flat. Could take much longer if the W comes up***

Keep trolling - You may finally catch one fish in the main channel:

January 4, 2012 - Ryan Kimball - Trophy Walleye

August 26, 2011 - Brian Shaw - Trophy Striper - Knowles Canyon

I'm not one that usually brags but my mother keeps telling me to send picture's of my Striper to you from our recent trip to Lake Powell, so in the interest of keeping the piece with my mother here is a few pictures of my fish along with a little story on catching her........

We finally got under way to Knowles Canyon from Bullfrog in the house boat around 8am on Friday Aug.26th knowing it would take awhile to get up there. This is my Second trip to Powell but its been around 20yrs so. It's been so long it seems like I'm here for the first time. My parents are part owners in a house boat and have been here 4-5 times in the last few years and use it as a get away as often as they can. They invited my wife and I to accompany them on this trip to give us some time away form the every day grind. Now as we all know house boats don't exactly get up on plain and move quickly, so at a whole 8-9 mph we are heading up-lake to Knowles canyon to spend 5 days. Now my dad has always been and avid fishermen and has done some amazing things while fishing and he him self has caught a trophy Striper in Lake Mead (36lbs 46") in the Mid 80's but nothing of trophy size out of Powell yet.

So as we are "cruzing-uplake we start talking about all the different types of ways we have caught Stripers. Then is occurred to us that usually we have trolled for them around 6 mph. So I slowed us down and he rigged two rods, one with a white Reef Dancer and on with a White 8" Kalins Curly Tale Jig (He was at the Ocean the week before and had this Jig handy) attached some rod holders and Pow! we were trolling for Stripers.

Now, as we all know when most people go buzzing by a house boat they don't expect to see it trolling for stripers so I'm sure there were a few boats that passed buy shook there heads and yes we didn't really expect to hook-up anyway so we really didn't pay that much attention to the rods.

Know as my dad and I are switching off and on steering the boat we would check the rods, or if my wife and I would go up top I would every now and then eyeball the rods. I mean, really are you going to hook-up on a fish?

So it's hot and I mean HOT! As I walk back to get a drink I thought, well I'll check the Rods. As I walk out I look at the one with the Reef Dancer, looks good. I turn around and look at the one with the big jig, and as I do....BAM!

brian%20shaw.jpg

I grab the rod and yell....Fish-on, Fish-on!

My wife comes back and notice's I have a fish-on and yells it again...Fish-On, Brian has a fish on!

I look at her and ask here to tell dad to stop the boat and as she turns around to tell my dad he's coming through the door way saying he has stopped the boat. I couldn't tell the boat has stopped because the fish was running and taking line. I told my dad "I think it is a Big one, or I'm stuck on bottom"." Bottom? Not in 200ft of water son" he replied.

Then about 50-60 yards out it hit the surface and we both laughed and said "OOOHH, It's Big one". So he jumped in the small boat and grabbed his landing net as I fought. As this is going on my mother and wife were snapping of pictures over the 20 or so minutes of the fight. As the fish got near the boat my dad and I both knew that we would only get one or two shots at landing the fish and with the 12 lbs line and a fish this size anything could happen. So all the years of fishing and all the years of netting large fish I laid her out along the boat. My dad was ready and Scoop! Just like Pro's and on the deck she lies. As I turn to look at my wife she was screaming and running in fear back into the cabin saying "AHHH, It's the biggest fish I ever seen!". Wow, I didn't expect that, but hey it is a Big fish.
"How big dad?" I asked. "Wow son....Big" he said." Maybe bigger than mine, lets see get the yard stick".
As I hold and he measures,"Nope....6" longer than the yard stick".

"Lets try girth with some rope". So my mom locates a piece as my wife is still unsure if the fish going to eat her for lunch.

Brian Shaw holding Trophy
"Well?" I ask. "He's 22 1/2 girth". my mother said.

"Wow, who would of guessed....trolling off the house boat" my dad laughed........

So, It was the only fish caught that day, but we did put the rods back out and trolled the rest of the way into the canyon.

So here are a few pictures I hope you can use for your wonderful Web site. We didn't get to weigh it but with the measurements I put them in and it came up 32-37 lbs. Oh and buy the way when we were done camping we DID troll back to Bullfrog....At 6mph with large white Kalin's jigs........
Brian Shaw

Boise ID

Maybe some day that might be me. Maybe this trip.

I have a 21' Triton fish & ski with a 225 Merc. I cruise to the SJ and back at 4000 RPM which is 40 MPH in my boat. I could go 50 but 40 saves gas and I can make it all the way up to Neshaki (sp) bay and back on 42 gallons. I always take a spare 5 just in case. Your Ranger Reatta should be comparable. Just have to leave early and keep out of the throttle. I leave from Halls Crossing. I'll be doing it this Saturday! Can't wait!

I'm planning on taking some extra gas just in case
We’ve run our 21’ Ranger Reata from Cha to Bullfrog in 1-1/2 to 2 hours several times to pick up, drop off guest during houseboat trips to the SJ. It’s worth it! It our favorite spot on the lake

I have a 21' Triton fish & ski with a 225 Merc. I cruise to the SJ and back at 4000 RPM which is 40 MPH in my boat. I could go 50 but 40 saves gas and I can make it all the way up to Neshaki (sp) bay and back on 42 gallons. I always take a spare 5 just in case. Your Ranger Reatta should be comparable. Just have to leave early and keep out of the throttle. I leave from Halls Crossing. I'll be doing it this Saturday! Can't wait!
This is the kind of talk that is going to end up convincing me to head to the north end. I have only been to the SJ once and that was out of Wahweap, I had to fuel at DR And take 20 gal with us to get back. It left no time for fishing. Now with a new boat and a 46 gal tank ;)

How is the area around Cha and/or Wilson creek for tent sites with reasonable shelter for an anchored boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back