Private Rental?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunaitch

Hi all, long time lurker of the message board and love reading Wayne's fishing reports!! I grew up in Utah so Lake Powell brings back many fond memories of fishing there. I live in California now, so only can make a trip 1-2 times a year. I visited lake Powell late last year and planning on another trip this year in June (25th-28th), and looking for some advice on boat rentals. I was wondering if anyone is interested in renting their boat for a week or know of anyone/site willing to do this? All the rental places around Powell are pretty pricy, especially the houseboats...

Also any recommendations for the rental places around Powell would also be appreciated. Thanks!

The biggest challenge of doing a private type rental is both parties take on significant risk. If the boat is not insured for commercial use and the worst case scenario happens then the insurance company would have no obligation to protect either of the parties. One of the primary reasons rentals of any type of recreational equipment is so expensive is because of high commercial insurance rates and high depreciation rates. Two factors very hard to understand by the average consumer.

I'm no expert. I have seen this done (including houseboats listed on AirBNB), but to my knowledge it is not permitted by NPS (for anything larger than what you can tow and launch yourself). Only licensed concessionaires are authorized to conduct business at the lake. Our slip contract with Aramark, for example, prohibits subletting, renting, or chartering our houseboat (or even the empty slip) to any 3rd party. And, as mentioned above, our insurance company only covers losses incurred during use by an actual owner - or while moored in the slip.

There may be a completely above board way to accomplish what you're looking for, but I haven't seen one yet. Sorry...

So to get into np am I allowed to bring a buddies bass boat if he isn't with me?

Again, I'm not the expert. But, yes, I think you're fine in that situation. The key seems to be whether you're conducting business within the National Park or not. In the case you describe, you and your buddy are not conducting business within the park.

Again, I'm not the expert. But, yes, I think you're fine in that situation. The key seems to be whether you're conducting business within the National Park or not. In the case you describe, you and your buddy are not conducting business within the park.
Lol I hope so maybe I'll have to call to make sure don't want to drive 5 hours just to be turned away because it's not my boat. Do they even ask for ownership status of the boat first time bringing a boat up there with me being the driver lol

NPS has asked me for boat registration on both my fishing boat and Seadoos before selling me the Lake Powell stickers...which is complicated by them being registered in my trust. I think getting a sticker with another's boat may be problematic. Stickers can also be gotten by phone and mail from NPS.
Chuck

my 2 cents. Park service only asked for registration when buying annual sticker at Bullfrog. You can get single entrance pass , if not boating there often.

Thanks for all the responses and thanks for the education on commercial insurance...didn't even think about that.

Anyone have a recommendation on a boat rental near Powell? I've checked Skylite and All-In Boat rentals...wasn't sure which was better?

Aramark has 1/2 off houseboat rates during off season based on availability.. I am taking one from May 18th thru the 25th with 6 other fishermen. This is a yearly trip for us and we tow 3 of our own fishing boats behind the houseboat. Our total costs are well under 70 dollars a day per person. That's all boats fuel, ice and houseboat rental which includes insurance. Not bad, but you better like who goes with you or you might come back one person short. Our boat is a 54 footer and all of us get our own bed. These rates are still available, I think, if the boat you choose is not already rented. Good luck. Surprisingly wahweap blows Antelope point out of the water on this deal.

I stand corrected.
just reviewed the wahweap boat rental site and the rates are not half of regular but substansially cheaper than anything I could find.

I bought a boat pass yesterday at Bullfrog. They didn't ask to see the registration, and never have in the past. I also have towed a friend's boat to Powell (friend was coming up later, and I had a better tow vehicle). Didn't have a problem getting in then either.

I think buying the pass would be low on concerns for this endeavor.

If you are looking to reduce costs, and are not looking for a more luxurious boat, you could always find a fractional ownership boat to buy into, buy it this year, and then sell your share when you are done. I think just about any boat that is 10 years old or older is mostly done depreciating, and you could "use" the boat for one trip that way for less $ than renting.

Have you considered buying rather than renting?

We did that and it saved us money. We were going to rent last June for two weeks.

The cheapest deal I could find on a boat we liked was $3500 plus insurance, so about $4200 for two weeks (which I think was a smoking deal, by the way).

Instead I bought a boat with no money down, financed it for 15 years, and have been paying $200/mo since. So about $2K plus maintenance ($800) and tires for the trailer ($300). So as of now, we're still into it less than renting.

That said, I want and need to sell it because we bought another boat that's much bigger and has a wake tower on it for the kids (which the first one didn't have).

So, if I am allowed to present this here, take a look. I'm happy to move it to the Garage sale forum if inappropriate here.

Selling: 2015 Regal 1900 ES with less than 47 hours on it... practically brand new.

It's a bow-rider (google it) and the "Premier" version (so it has all the options including piano gloss black hull, nice Bimini, and oversize swim platform).

It has the 220HP Mercury and Alpha 1 outdrive, the most powerful V6 combo you could get it with.

I paid a certified mechanic last August to do a full servicing on it including oil, filters, fuel separator, engine check, outdrive oil, cooling impeller, and even replaced the shifter cable bellows and cable.

It hasn't been used since, other than testing and running the engine on a set of ear muffs to keep things lubed (We bought a larger boat for our family).

It'll run WOT about 47-48 mph at Powell (GPS tested) and I have a 17" brand new Mercury Black Max prop (never used) I'll throw in for nothing (use it when you need torque or are carrying a lot of passengers with gear).

Cleaned up, it's pretty much pristine, and comes with a single axle aluminum trailer. Both tires are brand new, as is the spare purchased from Firestone last July.

It was sold new for $40K in 2015, and it has a suggested NADA resale value of $32K.

I'm willing to sell it for $25,000 because i need to clear it off my books.

If you financed it with no money down for the max time, your monthly payment will be about $200/mo, and insurance will be about another $300 a year, with an annual service bill of about $500 for typical maintenance.

In other words, you could buy it and make payments for a full year for the same cost of renting one for a week or two... and at this price I bet you could turn around and sell it in a year or two for the same price you paid, maybe more if you keep it in really good shape.

It's currently on consignment at Sun Country Marine in Phoenix, but I haven't had any good offers so far and I'm getting to the point where I need to sell it or start using it again...

Maybe we should keep it and use our new boat as the "Powell Boat" and keep the Regal as our Phoenix boat LOL.
IMG_0023.jpgfullsizeoutput_15a2.jpegfullsizeoutput_1552.jpegDSCF8454.JPG

Private message me if you're interested.

Very nice boat Chris, that should be easily sold during summer!!! Unfortunately not ready to jump into another boat, we have 3 in our extended family =)...

All of them too large to tow to Powell....I did find a reasonable suggestion from Ron O (member), with Buzz off boat rentals., which is where I will end up renting.

Thanks all!

Very nice boat Chris, that should be easily sold during summer!!! Unfortunately not ready to jump into another boat, we have 3 in our extended family =)...

All of them too large to tow to Powell....I did find a reasonable suggestion from Ron O (member), with Buzz off boat rentals., which is where I will end up renting.

Thanks all!

Just looked on their website... it shocks me how much they're charging for a week. But it's supply and demand, and they probably have a lot of overhead that isn't used half the year when it's sitting winterized in a storage facility!

Have fun on the lake. It'll be hot that week, but just hop in the water now and then to cool off and find some shaded canyons to cruise!fullsizeoutput_1792.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back