Powell by Paddle 2022

powellglass

Loved reading about your adventure and the pictures, especially Annie with the Big Dipper in the night sky! Beautiful. I’d love to visit Cathedral Canyon someday. Wonder if those Dangling Rope cabins will be put to use for something someday?

So curious about the list of Happies and crappies!

Dangling Dooley

Wonder if those Dangling Rope cabins will be put to use for something someday?
Thanks for the messages by the way!

That is a great question! I find it so fascinating that the park put in so much money renovating all the housing to just scrap the marina and let the housing collect dust and serve zero function. The park service also attempted to add a floating structure on the ramp so that the marina could automatically adjust with the rising and falling water level. A Canyon Wren told me that this new ramp idea was aborted soon after it started and the park spent MILLIONS on it! Contractors had no idea what they were doing and had HUGE time delays and cost overages. They also didn't bother to pick up all their tools and parts so they are just littered everywhere. Seems very fishy to me...

The way the NPS has left the place is so embarrassing. The Wren and I are both surprised a drainer hasn't snuck up and burned it all down. Nobody would find out for days because there is NOBODY stationed up there. Supposably a single park employee goes up once a week but I honestly doubt that. I also found out that there was a couple squatting in the marina when the NPS decided to move the marina out of the canyon.

Last edited:

VikingRanch

We camped two canyons south of Dangling last weekend, saw 4 boats the entire time we were in camp. Even given the time of year it was startlingly quiet. Only place we saw more like a normal number of boats was in the Escalante. I am curious if they bring back the marina, and what the mid lake will look like without.

powellglass

Thanks for the messages by the way!

That is a great question! I find it so fascinating that the park put in so much money renovating all the housing to just scrap the marina and let the housing collect dust and serve zero function. The park service also attempted to add a floating structure on the ramp so that the marina could automatically adjust with the rising and falling water level. A Canyon Finch told me that this new ramp idea was aborted soon after it started and the park spent MILLIONS on it! Contractors had no idea what they were doing and had HUGE time delays and cost overages. They also didn't bother to pick up all their tools and parts so they are just littered everywhere. Seems very fishy to me...

The way the NPS has left the place is so embarrassing. The Finch and I are both surprised a drainer hasn't snuck up and burned it all down. Nobody would find out for days because there is NOBODY stationed up there. Supposably a single park employee goes up once a week but I honestly doubt that. I also found out that there was a couple squatting in the marina when the NPS decided to move the marina out of the canyon.

Let’s see what the future brings. Are you planning a spring trip in 2023 possibly?

powellglass

My daughter asked about it. We houseboat with Bill Sampson often with his Laketime boat. She is a Lake Powell lover, having gone there many times over the years. She and I kayaked below Glen Canyon Dam to Lee’s ferry last year before our houseboat trip. we did the 12 mile paddle starting from around petroglyph beach and it was just so beautiful and serene. It was a great active paddle with stops along the way. and we just kayak locally around here in Southern California. so I think repeater days of a lot of miles might be a little bit too much for me but I know that she asked about it and would be interested. Oh to be young again!

powellglass

My daughter asked about it. We houseboat with Bill Sampson often with his Laketime boat. She is a Lake Powell lover, having gone there many times over the years. She and I kayaked below Glen Canyon Dam to Lee’s ferry last year before our houseboat trip. we did the 12 mile paddle starting from around petroglyph beach and it was just so beautiful and serene. It was a great active paddle with stops along the way. and we just kayak locally around here in Southern California. so I think repeater days of a lot of miles might be a little bit too much for me but I know that she asked about it and would be interested. Oh to be young again!
We also paddled on that houseboat trip. We had the houseboat anchored up the San Juan in Neskahi area and paddled as far as we could go into Great Bend before it ended due to water level. I am always tempted to “go around the next corner” to see. Oh to be in the land of crocs and zombies!

Dangling Dooley

she asked about it and would be interested.
Well I will definitely be planning another Fall trip in 2023. I might try to do it earlier in October next time around though for slightly warmer weather. My only requirements are to research proper paddle strokes/techniques and do multiple 5-10 mile practice paddles at your local body of water. There are also plenty of paddling clubs along the coast in SoCal, that's how I met Annie.

Wouldn't June be a bit rough?
I used to start work at Dangling Rope Mid-June and it was usually very hot/humid so that might be miserable. Obviously this is all up in the air because I haven't been on the water as much as some of you guys. My Powell experience only ranges from June to (now) October. That's why I ask WW for advice :ROFLMAO:. Summer doesn't sound too appealing to me because of the heat and getting caught in a monsoon while paddling sounds like a nightmare. Fall and Winter are the calmest months in terms of low average wind speed, but paddling with a wetsuit doesn't sound very fun either. Plus the risk of getting caught in a winter storm. Ahh the risks we take for adventure and solitude...

powellglass

My only requirements are to research proper paddle strokes/techniques and do multiple 5-10 mile practice paddles at your local body of water. There are also plenty of paddling clubs along the coast in SoCal, that's how I met Annie.
Great ideas! Bill Sampson and I enjoyed a spring paddle in 2021 doing the well traveled Antelope Point public launch ramp to end of Anelope Canyon and hiking back in there. Very easy paddle, not sure how far though. Very cold water! Refreshing to dip your achey hands in though. Not sure how to measure distance on the water when kayaking. Paddling clubs would be great! Thanks. Will be looking into that.

Dangling Dooley

Paddling clubs would be great! Thanks. Will be looking into that.
Yeah if you download the app called "MeetUp", you can find plenty of paddle groups or clubs that do everything from outrigger canoes racing to Catalina to just leisurely paddles around the harbor. There are also plenty of other groups for hiking, biking, activism, etc... Great way to meet people and make new friends.