Powell by Paddle 2022

Dangling Dooley

It’s finally happening y’all! Tomorrow (10/16) @smokeyTailor and my friends Annie, Prescott and I will be getting shuttled to Rainbow Bridge and then slowly paddling south back to Antelope sometime around 10/23.

If you happen to be on the lake and see us, say hi and I’ll give you a sticker! Also cold beer is appreciated anytime of day.

I’ll be using MapShare on my Garmin InReach so anybody interested can see where we are at. I’ll set the update intervals for every 10-30 minutes. The password is “Kapirowitz”.

MapShare Link

My father is keeping an eye on the weather but so far it looks great. Expecting tomorrow to be a little gusty with a tiny drizzle.

I’ll be updating this post with a detailed report once back home and settled.

Rainbowbridge

Escalante-Class Member
It’s finally happening y’all! Tomorrow (10/16) @smokeyTailor and my friends Annie, Prescott and I will be getting shuttled to Rainbow Bridge and then slowly paddling south back to Antelope sometime around 10/23.

If you happen to be on the lake and see us, say hi and I’ll give you a sticker! Also cold beer is appreciated anytime of day.

I’ll be using MapShare on my Garmin InReach so anybody interested can see where we are at. I’ll set the update intervals for every 10-30 minutes. The password is “Kapirowitz”.

MapShare Link

My father is keeping an eye on the weather but so far it looks great. Expecting tomorrow to be a little gusty with a tiny drizzle.

Have a wonderful, fun, safe time!

May the force of Sutter Home White Zin be with you....keeping you on a 'roll'....

:cool:

Tiff Mapel

MapShare Link

GO, DOOLEY!!! I tried to log in using your map share link, and I can't get it to work using either spelling of "Kapirowitz/Kaiparowits."

Good luck and have fun,
Tiff

Dangling Dooley

Day 4:

Another perfect day for paddling. Even got a little too warm towards the end, possibly up to 80F. Cutting the trip short due to weather/wind on Saturday and Sunday. Trying to get off the water Friday to enjoy a few cold beers and food at Slackers or GCBC in town. Long paddles ahead of us.

Glad you all are enjoying the MapShare!

Dangling Dooley

Day 5:

Another day with perfect weather. Left earlier to beat the heat. Did 15.5 miles, BRUTAL! Ran into a guy named Adrian who has been paddling down from Bullfrog the last 3 weeks. He ended up joining our crew and camping with us tonight. Really cool, funny, and kind. Thanks to the couple who boated up to give us shots of Jamison. Trying to get off the water before noon. Excited for real food and a cold Pacifico with lime. Also to share these photos with you guys!

Finally arrived home early this morning - that was an amazing paddle and met some great new friends. Thanks to @Dangling Dooley for planning the entire thing out and sharing all his knowledge of the lake, and to everyone who stopped by and said hello along the way. Also thank you Gypsy and 'Fish and Peace' for sharing all those shots - I was pretty buzzed paddling through the straits!

Dangling Dooley

The update you have all been waiting for! I am currently playing catch-up from taking a week off of work so it won't be as detailed or as well written as a JFR Trip Report 😎.

20221016_070348_copy_721x562.png
(Loading the boats at APM at 6AM)
20221016_114430.jpg
(Organizing our gear in our boats at Rainbow Bridge Dock)
20221016_133312.jpg
(Yup, the bridge is still there)

Day 1: Launch Day (Paddled ~5.5 Miles, Hiked ~2 Miles)
-Woke up very early and drove to APM to get our kayaks carted down the hill to the shuttle boat.
-The shuttle costed $560 for the whole group to get to Rainbow Bridge.
-Got dropped off at the Rainbow Bridge Dock and organized our gear.
-Paddled around a mile and then had to hike ~2 miles to the bridge and had lunch.
-Got back in our boats and searched for a camping spot for the night. This took a while and I actually started to get quite stressed because we only had a few hours of light left.
-Finally found a beach on the south side of the main channel near Cathedral Canyon.
-Had dinner, made a campfire, drank pina coladas, and reflected on the day as a group with Happies and Crappies (Highs and Lows of the day) during sunset.
-Small storm ripped through with powerful gusts and light rain for about an hour (Typical).

Photo Oct 17 2022, 5 48 08 PM.jpg
(Happies and Crappies with Pina Coladas at the top of the hill)
Photo Oct 17 2022, 6 46 37 PM.jpg
(Stars over Dragon Rock)
Photo Oct 17 2022, 6 58 01 PM.jpg
(Survey Pin)

Day 2: ONWARD TO DANGLING ROPE! (Paddled ~10 Miles, Hiked ~2 Miles)
-Woke up and paddled down Cathedral Canyon. Lots of 'oohs' and 'ahhs'.
-Had a pretty strong tailwind from the East all day which was nice. We even ended up using a tarp as a sail for a couple miles to save our arms. I have a great video of this that I will post soon.
-Had lunch in Mountain Sheep Canyon and happed upon a bunch of equipment that someone had laying around.
-Met a fellow Wayne Worder but he opened the conversation with "I don't have any cold beer, sorry!" :cry:
-Made our way to Dangling Rope Canyon and found camp right where the marina used to be. (I know I'm a hypocrite based off another post where I said nobody should go up there, but to be fair the only "No Trespassing" signs were on the doors of all the buildings. No harm no foul.) Would not recommend camping there though, lots of trash and got bit by flies or mosquitos.
-Hiked around the village which was nice since I had not been up there for 4 years. Looked like everybody had just up and vanished one day. Still beers on the grills and chairs on the porches.
-All the employee houses were updated (Looked through the windows). New laminate, couches, stucco, appliances, etc... Wish they were that nice when I worked there :cautious:
-Hiked around Turkey Rock to see all the buoys blink at night.
-Showed everybody the 1976 NPS Survey pin for DRM.
-Happies and Crappies with more Pina Coladas, ate dinner, listened to music by a fire, and went to bed.

Photo Oct 18 2022, 10 54 29 AM.jpg
(Still a half empty Bud Light can on the grill)
Photo Oct 18 2022, 9 17 13 AM.jpg
(Love the colors in this photo)
Photo Oct 18 2022, 6 50 06 PM.jpg
(Annie under the stars)

Day 3: DRM to the outside of Dungeon (Paddled ~6 Miles, Hiked 3 Miles)
-Started the day off by giving a small guided hike around DR and Government's Canyon. Talked about cryptobiotic soils, petroglyphs, and fun DR stories/histories.
-Paddled to the outside of Dungeon Canyon which was the best campsite of the trip by far. Perfect for kayak camping anyways.
-Watched the sunset, happies and crappies, made a fire, and then cowboy camped under the stars.

Photo Oct 19 2022, 6 13 53 AM.jpg
(Cowboy camping outside of Dungeon)
Photo Oct 19 2022, 1 23 30 PM.jpg
(Boat wreck near Gregory Butte)
Photo Oct 19 2022, 4 17 00 PM.jpg
(Campsite near Gregory Butte)

Day 4: Dungeon to nearby Gregory Butte (Paddled ~9 Miles, Hiked 1 Mile)
-Absolutely perfect day paddling. We all paddled alongside each other and just chatted for hours. Loved that.
-Saw an Osprey dive into the water for a fish.
-Showed everybody the boat wreck near Gregory Butte.
-Set up camp, happies and crappies, and went to bed.

Day 5: Camel Rock to Warm Creek (Paddled 15.5 Miles)
-Weather was again perfect.
-Met Adrian who had started paddling down from Bullfrog 3 weeks prior.
-Looked at the weather and decided we should push for Warm Creek to avoid the upcoming storm.
-Adrian ended up catching up with us on our lunch break and joined us for the rest of our trip.
-fish&peace gave us some shots of Jamison.
-Powered through to Warm Creek, set up camp, and knocked out.

Day 6: Finish Line (Paddled ~6.5 Miles)
-Woke up early and paddled to APM.
-Called shuttle carts to bring out boats back to our cars.
-Went to Grand Canyon Brewery and Distillery for our first real lunch and.....COLD BEER!
-Dropped Adrian off at his hotel with his gear and then drove back home to California.

Total Paddle Milage: ~52.5 Miles

Til next year 😎

Photo Oct 21 2022, 1 15 17 PM.jpg
(Cheers before we each go our separate ways, Adrian with his eyes closed lol)

Last edited: