Pin Anchors, $250 fine, and new technology

SeaLegs

Maybe a set eye bolts in some spots. 1 set of holes like they use for the docks or Rainbow Bridge. I have thought about this problem because I have a 75ft houseboat, this feels small now, HA!. I have broken anchor lines and pulled anchors and boulders in big wind storms. I have been doing this for over 40 years and have seen dock's break in big weather.

NPS drills holes already along with the vendors. I could see this becoming a issue, because you can't say "well, some animals are better than others" (except for Pigs, because they have the bacon inside).

If they are going to allow pinning, then put the pins in for anyone to use.
Thoughts?

Not going to happen. I do agree with you on the pig.oaq6i.jpg

SeaLegs

Having said that, I definitely don't want to discourage poeple from sharing there thoughts and ideas regarding this issue.

I had one. Maybe we could figure out way to magnetize the sandstone.😜

birdsnest

How would you get the steel hull boats off. Seriously though, maybe when there are to many boats to beach, there are to many boats. Even Powell can only take so much. When did they drop the 75' limit? I've been gone way to long.

SeaLegs

A reverse polarity switch of course.😁

I don't know when they changed the 75' rule.
Eventually they will find a way to limit the # of houseboats on Lake Powell. Not by count though. Limits on how many owners per boat. Increased fees, the cost of moorage and storage will sky rocket. Insurance.
Slowly pushing out the middle and upper middle class owners. It might take 10 to 20 years do that but I see it coming.

Jackalope

No pinning...period. As the level fluctuates do we get to look at pins up and down? Here comes California. Sorry California people but the entitled ruin it for everyone else.
Only issue is they NPS and Aramark already do it... so now you get into a pissing contest. You know how this works already, just ask about Crystal Angle II, and how they were allowed to get that monster on the lake. Slippery slope I guess.

Jackalope

A reverse polarity switch of course.😁

I don't know when they changed the 75' rule.
Eventually they will find a way to limit the # of houseboats on Lake Powell. Not by count though. Limits on how many owners per boat. Increased fees, the cost of moorage and storage will sky rocket. Insurance.
Slowly pushing out the middle and upper middle class owners. It might take 10 to 20 years do that but I see it coming.
That rule was dropped because of the Huge boat at the end of B dock in Wahweap, yes, its the same one mentioned above. There was a lawsuit that was started and dropped. Because, it came down that if a people mover could be bigger then 75ft then a private owner could also have a bigger boat, and if not then the people movers would also have to go...

Also, I guess a congressman has a little power in matters regarding size of a houseboat at Powell.

Now, thinking about what happened above could this same thing happen with pins.

haulnass

I'm a newby to this sight but have boated since before I could get a drivers license . If drilling rock and pinning is the only way to get these houseboats to hold, then don't allow or have them. They don't want people scratching there name in the sandstone? Also don't leave glass on the beach ! I picked up 3 pieces on different beach areas last week and like pins left in the sandstone the injuries and boat damage as water levels fluctuate don't justify the need. I'm sure the fuel tax and profit made by filling these monsters up is one reason they cave!

Tim Fortier

I don't think anyone has posted about this new company Beach Bag Anchors FAQ I scrolled around their website and learned quite a bit about the issue of drilling into rock to anchor a houseboat. I wonder if these things are wind rated for the 70mph blasts people reported the weekend of June 6th? It is also interesting that the NPS seems to be carving out an exception to allow pin anchoring for concierge services and specific houseboats. I have to assume some of the really big houseboats can't be secured by any other means. This link about rock anchoring from the NPS was also interesting Anchoring A Houseboat - Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)
What gets me is what NPS let ayrmark leaves, old engines cables every thing from the old 400 bouy fields, Talk about ruining the bottom of your boat .

Powelldreamer

I think I am more in favor of having Aramark/NPS/APM for a fee go out and place large anchoring cement blocks for these people. Then coming and removing them. They could be placed underwater at a minimum depth and then these behemoth boats could be anchored instead of moored on shore. It would be expensive but hey so are those boats.

I think I am more in favor of having Aramark/NPS/APM for a fee go out and place large anchoring cement blocks for these people. Then coming and removing them. They could be placed underwater at a minimum depth and then these behemoth boats could be anchored instead of moored on shore. It would be expensive but hey so are those boats.
Great Idea! The downside would be associated with a wildly fluctuating lake level.
How about pay a specialty contractor to fabricate heavy concrete blocks that resemble LP boulders with eye hooks cast in for mooring. Place them on shore where they like to take these big boats. Maybe more easily accessible over a wider range of lake levels. Just a thought...

Jswan12

Did a little more research on this and found a You Tube video on these anchors. It is my understanding in calling the company that these bags are rated to hold in 60-65mph wind depending on the number of anchors you use. They do have anchors of all sizes to accommodate different size boats.

Sedona

Watched the video...interesting. But I wonder if the off leash dogs running around in the video left a different kind of environmental hazard. Found far too much dog poop along the shoreline in some prime locations.

Ryan

Did a little more research on this and found a You Tube video on these anchors. It is my understanding in calling the company that these bags are rated to hold in 60-65mph wind depending on the number of anchors you use. They do have anchors of all sizes to accommodate different size boats.

That actually looks fairly well thought out.

I wonder what pump they recommend to fill those bags in 5 minutes? You could briefly see one at about the 3:15 mark, it looked huge.

Personally, if they are proven, this would make more sense than pinning as it would be better for the shoreline. I myself will stick with tying off to boulders.

woodhead

I just spent 45 minutes looking over there web site and I like the idea. I need to see this in action first though like show me a video with that 75’ house boat In a 40 mph wind storm. This looks real nice in calm weather! Judging buy the fact that they won’t tell you the price I’m guessing it’s expensive. For my 75 foot boat it would cost 745 just to rent this I’m assuming for a week. $995 if it weren’t for the corona. If it works this is an awesome invention.

ScottF

humm......another way to anchor houseboats? Mine will have "Dynamic positioning". Like the large drill ships. I'll just park in the main channel & stay within a couple feet all night long. I suppose the largest houseboats on the water ask to be able to pin, & the NPS felt before they bowed to the pressure from these owners, they should do an impact study first. My guess in 3 years pinning will be allowed with certain conditions & in certain places. House boats will carry red colored cement to fill in the holes. Pick it up at Walmart in Page before you start your week.....
My boat has dynamic positioning. If you get it on a new boat make sure you get the latest version. Earlier systems hold you in the same place with the same heading. The newer systems give you the option to hold the bow in the same position, but allow the wind/current to orient your heading - much better in wind.

Last edited:

gznokes

My boat has dynamic positioning. If you get it on a new boat make sure you get the latest version. Earlier systems hold you in the same place with the same heading. The newer systems give you the option to hold the bow in the same position, but allow the wind/current to orient your heading - much better in wind.
ScottF, I skimmed the wikipedia article about dynamic positioning as it relates to boats and learned a few things Dynamic positioning - Wikipedia I'm curious how it works for you at Lake Powell. When you say your boat has dynamic positioning does that mean you don't have to tie off when you pull into shore or that you could theoretically stop in the middle of the channel and thrusters would keep your houseboat relatively stationary?

ScottF

ScottF, I skimmed the wikipedia article about dynamic positioning as it relates to boats and learned a few things Dynamic positioning - Wikipedia I'm curious how it works for you at Lake Powell. When you say your boat has dynamic positioning does that mean you don't have to tie off when you pull into shore or that you could theoretically stop in the middle of the channel and thrusters would keep your houseboat relatively stationary?
gznokes, With dynamic positioning I can push a button and my boat will hold its position and heading. So, in theory, there is no need to anchor the boat, day or night, wind or calm, mid-channel or beached. Of course this is limited to areas with GPS reception (all but the highest, tightest canyons) and is limited by the accuracy of my GPS (seems to be about 5'). So, in practice, I wouldn't try to use DP to hold my position on the beach or in my slip, but it can hold position indefinitely in a storm out from the beach, for lunch in a nice cove or while I prepare to anchor on the beach.

As you can imagine any system powerful enough to hold position in high winds isn't going to be gentle - when the DP engages my pods unexpectedly it can throw you around as much as the biggest wave. Also, you can't have people or ropes in the water while using the DP as they can be sucked into the props from as far away as 75'.