Pin Anchors, $250 fine, and new technology

gznokes

I don't think anyone has posted about this new company Beach Bag Anchors FAQ I scrolled around their website and learned quite a bit about the issue of drilling into rock to anchor a houseboat. I wonder if these things are wind rated for the 70mph blasts people reported the weekend of June 6th? It is also interesting that the NPS seems to be carving out an exception to allow pin anchoring for concierge services and specific houseboats. I have to assume some of the really big houseboats can't be secured by any other means. This link about rock anchoring from the NPS was also interesting Anchoring A Houseboat - Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Meatwagon

I guess I missed it, but I didn't see anything in the link from the nps where they were condoning drilling and staking a house boat.

gznokes

I guess I missed it, but I didn't see anything in the link from the nps where they were condoning drilling and staking a house boat.
The discussion about allowing drilling in some areas for certain boats is on the FAQ section of the the Beach Bag Anchor site. Here is the link, FAQ

This is what it says,
>
>
The National Park Service recently proposed a pilot program to address pin anchoring. The proposed 3-year pilot study would allow for highly regulated pin anchoring under the following scenario:

the houseboat receives a permit by the National Park Service to pin anchor, and the houseboat is pin anchored in an area pre-designated for pinning by the National Park Service, and the houseboat is pin anchored by an existing concession contract holder at Lake Powell.

Locations for permissible pin anchoring are yet to be designated by the National Park Service, but they have indicated that pinning sites under the proposal will be limited. Houseboats will not be able to pin anchor or stake anchor just anywhere.

Additionally, the general public would not be allowed to pin anchor. The pin anchoring of houseboats would only be done through a paid anchoring service offered by an existing concession contract holder at Lake Powell. Antelope Point Marina has been specifically named in the National Park Service proposal.

Jackalope

Several years back I got into a discussion with the NPS about using pins, this was before the website was this detailed. As we were talking I was able to point out ~ 15 holes that were already drilled and asked, can I just use the holes that are there? The answer was No, because it will create more damage to the rock. He said that they came to check on us because our lines were so tight that he thought we were using pins. We showed him the anchors burred in the sand.

The discussion went that for each pin its a $750 fine (now it looks like $250) and it's mandatory that the ticket holder show up in the court and it may not be just the fine. Depending on the Judge it could end up being jail time for vandalism of federal lands.

Across from us was another very large houseboat where they were landing a helicopter and they were pinned in 6-8 places. The NPS glanced over but decided to avoid contact... So I can see the point, for some this is going to be OK but for others... ? This houseboat was in the same spot for over a month but not sure if that makes it right.

The bags posted look interesting but, I have moved HUGE boulders down slope in large winds, not sure that a water bag would handle the wind load?

Cookie

People will keep using pins until NPS actually starts writing tickets. There just isn't enough manpower and boats to police this. They don't police the 2 stroke ban jet ski ban either. In most cases they are reactionary not proactively policing.

Reed

OK here I go. So about 3 months ago at our annual CUA meeting held with the National Park Service in the Page office. Superintendent Billy Shot introduced a pilot program that will only allow Antelope Point Marina, for the next 3 years, to anchor house boats using pins or stakes. This will be allowed in approximately 8 to 11 different canyons Lake wide. Other people people who pin will be cited because they were not staked by an authorized user. This is ridiculous. For those of you who know me I am 100% against any pinning or staking of houseboats. I've seen hundreds, no thousands of holes left in our beautiful sandstone. I've counted over a 100 steaks that have been left by others. I do not think this should be allowed at all and I'm going to fight this. I know there will be some on this site who disagree with me and that's fine. However, over the last number of years as many days as I spend on the Lake I have seen first hand the damage caused by drilling holes in our sandstone. I believe that the Covid 19 pandemic has delayed the implementation of this program. The park service has demonstrated in my opinion, the inability to manage Lake Powell. There is no way they will be able to enforce this law and once we start down this road of allowing some to pin, It will be something that can never ever be reversed. I agree it is unfair to only allow some people that will use this service.
With larger and larger house boats now being allowed on the Lake, some over 100' long I do not believe that the rest of us should have to have our Lake destroyed just because it is easier for them to anchor these larger boats. I believe that Lake Powell will never be what it once was and that is a very sad thing.

During this pilot program they will be experimenting with various ways to fill the holes that are drilled. However, this is unproven technology and no one including the park service, know the long term lasting effects of these so called patches and what they will look like in the years to come.

I will save time and perhaps discuss the Beach Bags another time.

I'm going to go catch some stripers.

Bob

birdsnest

What would be my best approach to fight this stupid idea. Do you have a plan? I hate the idea. What does Bingo mean? I know that about everything is motivated by money but how the heck could nps prosper.. I think I just got it. Permit fees, concessionair fees, fines. Bunch of a-holes willing to ruin the very thing they are charged to protect. This is an ultimate slap in the face to all that love Powell. ERRRRRR!

Cookie

First thing NPS needs to do to stop pinning is to limit the number of houseboats on Lake Powell. Pinning became more frequent because of the lack of beaches or suitable spots for Houseboats to park. In the South Lake, there isn't that many boulders as well, so you must have sand to anchor these large houseboats that require 6 anchor points. With that said, you need 50 yards of sand to anchor.

Secondly, finding another solution to the anchoring would also help this issue. I don't know what that is, but should be explored.

Allowing one entity to pin and everyone else not the ability is a lawsuit in the waiting.

Been going to Powell for 35 years or so. What's the matter with the good old fashion way of Danforth Anchors.. I have been in some rough weather and they will hold. Stop the pinning. Lake Powell will never be the same.

Cookie

Been going to Powell for 35 years or so. What's the matter with the good old fashion way of Danforth Anchors.. I have been in some rough weather and they will hold. Stop the pinning. Lake Powell will never be the same.
Because you need sand. They work well when you have a lot of beach. And anchoring a 50' houseboat is much easier than a 75' and above. I am not condoning pinning, I am just giving insight to why Pinning has become more frequent.

Because you need sand. They work well when you have a lot of beach. And anchoring a 50' houseboat is much easier than a 75' and above. I am not condoning pinning, I am just giving insight to why Pinning has become more frequent.
Never had a problem with bigger boats than 50 ft.

DQDanny

humm......another way to anchor houseboats? Mine will have "Dynamic positioning". Like the large drill ships. I'll just park in the main channel & stay within a couple feet all night long. I suppose the largest houseboats on the water ask to be able to pin, & the NPS felt before they bowed to the pressure from these owners, they should do an impact study first. My guess in 3 years pinning will be allowed with certain conditions & in certain places. House boats will carry red colored cement to fill in the holes. Pick it up at Walmart in Page before you start your week.....

Jackalope

Maybe a set eye bolts in some spots. 1 set of holes like they use for the docks or Rainbow Bridge. I have thought about this problem because I have a 75ft houseboat, this feels small now, HA!. I have broken anchor lines and pulled anchors and boulders in big wind storms. I have been doing this for over 40 years and have seen dock's break in big weather.

NPS drills holes already along with the vendors. I could see this becoming a issue, because you can't say "well, some animals are better than others" (except for Pigs, because they have the bacon inside).

If they are going to allow pinning, then put the pins in for anyone to use.
Thoughts?

birdsnest

No pinning...period. As the level fluctuates do we get to look at pins up and down? Here comes California. Sorry California people but the entitled ruin it for everyone else.

Reactions: bdn