Offshore marina issues

Endurance

I have seen ups and downs over the years at Offshore -- some years good and some less so. I try to cut them some slack. My selfish motivation is to keep some competition at the north end of the lake so we don't have a monopoly situation with Aramark. I enjoy my association with Aramark, but they don't always hit it out of the park, either. More important, I believe in a free marketplace with real competition.

This reminds me of a scene in It's a Wonderful Life in which George Bailey explains why Bedford Falls needs to keep the Bailey Building and Loan: "This town needs this measly one-horse institution if only to have some place where people can come without crawling to Potter."

Skip

Three years ago I had the same problems with the attitude, service, incompetence, etc with Offshore. They would rather climb a tree and lie to you than stay on the ground and tell you the truth. I have been storing my fishing boat at Bullfrog ever since and having any work we need done to our houseboat done by the Bullfrog boat shop, I have been more than happy with the service there and the storage yard. The people at the storage yard provide excellent service. Dan, at Ticaboo Service has been our go to guy for anything we need on the lake. He has also been honest and very responsive to deal with. We have a houseboat in the covered slips. The people at Offshore reflect the attitude of the owners which is poor at best. I will never use them again for anything, I even drive all the way to Hanksville to get a burger. Hopefully they will sell out, there are a few good people there but they are very few.

smb290

Those of you that know me know that I am not one to be negative, bitch, whine or jump on posts that do that. That being said I have been meaning to write this up for quite some time and it seems time to finally get it done. I have stored my boat at offshore for many years. I like the folks that work there and they have always treated me well. Unfortunately that came to an end last year when I had and issue and failed to get any kind of resolution. It started when I asked for my boat to be pulled so I could winterize it. When I showed up it was not pulled so I went in and asked. They told me they would get right on it. I was standing by the pumps waiting for it when I saw it being towed and the outdrive was 3/4 way down. The guy was moving pretty fast and before I could truly freak out he ha backed it onto the work pad. I didn’t see it hit ground although it was close so I didn’t say anything and just shook my head. After the guy drove off I walked around and saw that the motor was resting on the ground. I quickly ran over and raised the engine, went around and looked at it. I have a stainless prop and the bottom two fins were bent forward and inch. It took a while to piece it together but eventually I figured out that when the guy was backing the boat and the outdrive was in the lowered position he hit a piece of boat cribbing. I Lind it all up, took pictures and went and got the manager. He reviewed and then told me I had to file with the owner as he only does the report. I called and emailed the owner repeatedly over the next three months and never received a response. I called the manager back and he told me he was sorry it only the owner could make it right. In my emails I showed him the pics of the prop, boat and cribbing all lined up. I also said that I understand accidents happen and that I would be happy if he covered the cost of the prop in future storage fees. I don’t think I could have been any more fair about it. The bottom line is that the owner of offshore never once returned my emails, calls or certified mail. He never acknowledged me whatsoever despite his manager agreeing that the incident did happen and that he was there. My opinion is that if offshore wouldn't cover $350 bartered in future storage fees what would they do when they really screwed up. In my letters I clearly pointed out that I bought thousands of dollars in fuel every year from them, that I spent hundreds in food and supplies, and that I had stored my boat there for ten years without an issue. I did everything I could to be reasonable and make this work out and I never received a single response, ever. So...I pulled my boat and have since had many friends move boats and houseboats out of there over the course of the last year. That $350 has cost them many thousands of dollars in one year. It still gets me mad thinking of how I was treated but it does make me happier to drive by and buy my gas elsewhere, store my boat elsewhere and help to support other boatyards in the area. Look around as you go down this year and you will see a dwindling number of boats in offshore because they have abominable customer service. And...there was a witness to this, someone I didn't know at was working on his boat next to mines. gave me his phone number for my report. That part was ignored as well. Undoubtedly some are happy with offshore, good for them. I like the folks there too but if you know any of them they will tell you what a terrible person the owner is as well. Me, I will never give them a penny again and I bought a new $350 prop and continue to enjoy the lake. And I would love a response from the owner here because that would really drive me to show the numerous letters, emails and pics I sent...but he won’t because he knows that. So, back to being my happy self, a few more months and I get to fish, looking forward to getting back. Wow, never wrote anything like that before, a complete rant.

TR
Don't blame you at all. We also have stored our boat there for 20 plus years but after several incidents last year including boat not set out as agreed, $75.00 fuel fee, being LIED to by Kerry, hung up on by Lisa, having them attempt to cancel one of our trips which we did not request, muddy footprints on our carpet from them fueling us and the last straw was watching Lat run into another customers boat while doing donuts in the parking lot on the tractor, we made the move to Bullfrog last August. We hope that the current owners(3) sell out and that someone who understands customer service takes over.

low_rider

Called "Chris" last summer & paid 3 monthes up front. He took my card but never charged me. I've been with them off & on for over 10 years. I've had phone calls prompting me for payment previously but this time was way different, said they did not have my phone but then magically called me. Then was charged extreme late fees due to poor employee performance (Chris). Questionable Ethics

Skip

As more and more people are screwed by Offshore their business will decline. I warned boaters about them when they first opened under the new owners. The manager and whatever the guy under him is called are total jerks, their word doesn't mean a thing. Since I terminated over 30 years of dealing with Offshore I have been much happier dealing with Bullfrog. I really hope they get rid of the jerks there and change hands as the owners are just as bad. And yes there will be someone else buy them out as it is to good a business to just let go. Just look at how the boats at J & B have multiplied in the short time they have been there. People just get tired of being screwed.

Dave I.

As more and more people are screwed by Offshore their business will decline. I warned boaters about them when they first opened under the new owners. The manager and whatever the guy under him is called are total jerks, their word doesn't mean a thing. Since I terminated over 30 years of dealing with Offshore I have been much happier dealing with Bullfrog. I really hope they get rid of the jerks there and change hands as the owners are just as bad. And yes there will be someone else buy them out as it is to good a business to just let go. Just look at how the boats at J & B have multiplied in the short time they have been there. People just get tired of being screwed.
I entertained the idea of ownership, but that little thing called "a fortune" is missing from my budget. haha

Dave I.

Maybe you can get some of that small business money the government is handing out to keep your business growing!
Government money? What is that? Oh yeah, the stuff I send to them to hand out to others such as Wall Street, Chevrolet, Chrysler and any other business they consider "essential". My one man shop doesn't even quality for the federal "forgiveness" loans because I don't have any employees.
Small shops like mine just have to ride out the storm, pick up any life preserver we can get and wait for calmer waters to come in.
The waters are getting better now. We are starting to see the sunrises again. :)

Flipper

T R All Metals welding in Grand Junction has a prop service that can repair bent and broken props. They have a man in Fruita that does the work. I have always been very pleased with the work and price. Jon R - Their is a place in Ticaboo that has inside covered boat storage. Don't know much about the price or availability. As far as the service at the north lake, the remoteness of the lake that makes the Lake so enjoyable for those of us that love it also makes it a hard place to get good people to stay and work. I have seen a lot of good people come and go due to various reasons. We have always just stayed with the service at Bullfrog. We store our fishing boat at the dry boat service during the fishing months, and have a houseboat in the slips at Bullfrog. About the time you get to learn and trust a person, you find out that they made to much money and budget cuts made them expendable? The biggest problem you have at the Lake is that it is in a national park and the government hates competition. They like to deal with one concessionaire. This means that only one company is allowed to own/operate the services on the lake at a time. This means that they have no competition and they can charge what ever their conscious will allow. Any one doing in business on the lake must pay a portion of their fee to Aramark - kinda like the Mafia. When we bought our Houseboat, it was in a slip at Lake Pleasant just north of Phoenix. It cost the previous owners just a little more than half of what we pay at Bull frog to keep their boat in a slip there. You had a reserved parking spot in the parking lot for your car and golf cart. You had an extra wide walkway everywhere that you could drive your golf cart all the way out to your boat, and even had a place to park your cart at your boat. The Security patrolled the dock constantly and would pick up your trash and haul it off for you every night. Their was also another marina about 5 miles away across the lake that was owned and operated by another owner who also wanted and would work to hard to obtain your business. It takes a long time to build and earn a good reputation and a very short time to loose one. Do every thing right and a few people will tell their friends about a good place to do business with. Piss off some one and they will go out of their way to tell every one they see.