Offshore marina issues

TR.

Those of you that know me know that I am not one to be negative, bitch, whine or jump on posts that do that. That being said I have been meaning to write this up for quite some time and it seems time to finally get it done. I have stored my boat at offshore for many years. I like the folks that work there and they have always treated me well. Unfortunately that came to an end last year when I had and issue and failed to get any kind of resolution. It started when I asked for my boat to be pulled so I could winterize it. When I showed up it was not pulled so I went in and asked. They told me they would get right on it. I was standing by the pumps waiting for it when I saw it being towed and the outdrive was 3/4 way down. The guy was moving pretty fast and before I could truly freak out he ha backed it onto the work pad. I didn’t see it hit ground although it was close so I didn’t say anything and just shook my head. After the guy drove off I walked around and saw that the motor was resting on the ground. I quickly ran over and raised the engine, went around and looked at it. I have a stainless prop and the bottom two fins were bent forward and inch. It took a while to piece it together but eventually I figured out that when the guy was backing the boat and the outdrive was in the lowered position he hit a piece of boat cribbing. I Lind it all up, took pictures and went and got the manager. He reviewed and then told me I had to file with the owner as he only does the report. I called and emailed the owner repeatedly over the next three months and never received a response. I called the manager back and he told me he was sorry it only the owner could make it right. In my emails I showed him the pics of the prop, boat and cribbing all lined up. I also said that I understand accidents happen and that I would be happy if he covered the cost of the prop in future storage fees. I don’t think I could have been any more fair about it. The bottom line is that the owner of offshore never once returned my emails, calls or certified mail. He never acknowledged me whatsoever despite his manager agreeing that the incident did happen and that he was there. My opinion is that if offshore wouldn't cover $350 bartered in future storage fees what would they do when they really screwed up. In my letters I clearly pointed out that I bought thousands of dollars in fuel every year from them, that I spent hundreds in food and supplies, and that I had stored my boat there for ten years without an issue. I did everything I could to be reasonable and make this work out and I never received a single response, ever. So...I pulled my boat and have since had many friends move boats and houseboats out of there over the course of the last year. That $350 has cost them many thousands of dollars in one year. It still gets me mad thinking of how I was treated but it does make me happier to drive by and buy my gas elsewhere, store my boat elsewhere and help to support other boatyards in the area. Look around as you go down this year and you will see a dwindling number of boats in offshore because they have abominable customer service. And...there was a witness to this, someone I didn't know at was working on his boat next to mines. gave me his phone number for my report. That part was ignored as well. Undoubtedly some are happy with offshore, good for them. I like the folks there too but if you know any of them they will tell you what a terrible person the owner is as well. Me, I will never give them a penny again and I bought a new $350 prop and continue to enjoy the lake. And I would love a response from the owner here because that would really drive me to show the numerous letters, emails and pics I sent...but he won’t because he knows that. So, back to being my happy self, a few more months and I get to fish, looking forward to getting back. Wow, never wrote anything like that before, a complete rant.

TR

Ryan

So who is the owner? Are they local?

It's really sad to hear about such bad service. My preference would be for it to stay in business. There just is so little service up North, I don't want to lose something, even if it is bad.

Our houseboat is coming out for a re-power in the next week or so. I do know that the partners decided to have the work done at Bullfrog instead of Offshore who has done a good portion of the work in the past.

TR.

So who is the owner? Are they local?

It's really sad to hear about such bad service. My preference would be for it to stay in business. There just is so little service up North, I don't want to lose something, even if it is bad.

Our houseboat is coming out for a re-power in the next week or so. I do know that the partners decided to have the work done at Bullfrog instead of Offshore who has done a good portion of the work in the past.
John and Kerry. I never did get a single response from them. Chris was the manager.

TR

mtnpull

As a business owner that deals with thousands of customers a year in the powersports rental world I think you are 100% justified. All too often owners get stuck looking only on a initial cost and fail to see what the long term cost will be. Not only that but any owner with integrity can look at a situation and take responsibility when they are at fault. I hate to see businesses that operate that way, but very good to know.

Ben johnson

Those of you that know me know that I am not one to be negative, bitch, whine or jump on posts that do that. That being said I have been meaning to write this up for quite some time and it seems time to finally get it done. I have stored my boat at offshore for many years. I like the folks that work there and they have always treated me well. Unfortunately that came to an end last year when I had and issue and failed to get any kind of resolution. It started when I asked for my boat to be pulled so I could winterize it. When I showed up it was not pulled so I went in and asked. They told me they would get right on it. I was standing by the pumps waiting for it when I saw it being towed and the outdrive was 3/4 way down. The guy was moving pretty fast and before I could truly freak out he ha backed it onto the work pad. I didn’t see it hit ground although it was close so I didn’t say anything and just shook my head. After the guy drove off I walked around and saw that the motor was resting on the ground. I quickly ran over and raised the engine, went around and looked at it. I have a stainless prop and the bottom two fins were bent forward and inch. It took a while to piece it together but eventually I figured out that when the guy was backing the boat and the outdrive was in the lowered position he hit a piece of boat cribbing. I Lind it all up, took pictures and went and got the manager. He reviewed and then told me I had to file with the owner as he only does the report. I called and emailed the owner repeatedly over the next three months and never received a response. I called the manager back and he told me he was sorry it only the owner could make it right. In my emails I showed him the pics of the prop, boat and cribbing all lined up. I also said that I understand accidents happen and that I would be happy if he covered the cost of the prop in future storage fees. I don’t think I could have been any more fair about it. The bottom line is that the owner of offshore never once returned my emails, calls or certified mail. He never acknowledged me whatsoever despite his manager agreeing that the incident did happen and that he was there. My opinion is that if offshore wouldn't cover $350 bartered in future storage fees what would they do when they really screwed up. In my letters I clearly pointed out that I bought thousands of dollars in fuel every year from them, that I spent hundreds in food and supplies, and that I had stored my boat there for ten years without an issue. I did everything I could to be reasonable and make this work out and I never received a single response, ever. So...I pulled my boat and have since had many friends move boats and houseboats out of there over the course of the last year. That $350 has cost them many thousands of dollars in one year. It still gets me mad thinking of how I was treated but it does make me happier to drive by and buy my gas elsewhere, store my boat elsewhere and help to support other boatyards in the area. Look around as you go down this year and you will see a dwindling number of boats in offshore because they have abominable customer service. And...there was a witness to this, someone I didn't know at was working on his boat next to mines. gave me his phone number for my report. That part was ignored as well. Undoubtedly some are happy with offshore, good for them. I like the folks there too but if you know any of them they will tell you what a terrible person the owner is as well. Me, I will never give them a penny again and I bought a new $350 prop and continue to enjoy the lake. And I would love a response from the owner here because that would really drive me to show the numerous letters, emails and pics I sent...but he won’t because he knows that. So, back to being my happy self, a few more months and I get to fish, looking forward to getting back. Wow, never wrote anything like that before, a complete rant.

TR
Thanks for this report. There has been several complaints about off shore. I won’t do business there. I have Aramark for motor repairs and on off storage at times. Never had a problem.

dlbanshee

There will always be someone to fill the void for business. In a situation like this, I believe it is fair and right to boycott their business. Good for you trying to do the right thing and making a fair request. I would have definitely "ranted" a little more myself.

Ryan

There will always be someone to fill the void for business.
Sorry, but that isn't true. Remember the NAPA store that used to be at Ticaboo? It was never replaced. And how long did it take J&B to move into the old A&W?

The north end is so remote and seasonal, it wouldn't surprise me if Offshore closed that there wouldn't be someone to take their place.

Havalina

I have also boycotted them. It sucks, but if I need something I go to Hanksville or Price. It was simply the attitude of the management. I understand that I might be cutting my nose off to spite my face. Three years ago, there were house boats everywhere, and they barely had room to pullout your boat. This year the lot In front of the store was almost empty. So, I guess that I am not the only one.

Chris H

TR
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have just started to use Offshore since I was having trouble getting by boat out of Breckenridge in the early spring. I will leave it there for now but will move in the summer. Probably should have asked this forum for advice first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirrel

I have been keeping my boat & RV at Offshore for many years. The only issue I have had is my boat not being pulled when requested. I have been allowed to get my own boat when that has happened, which is no big deal. I would have been different if they were closed. I also always get the RV out myself. I always get there within their hours of operation. I have been very happy with Offshore with the exception the the storage fees doubled this year. Sq

Blackjack

We were loyal Offshore customers for nearly 20 years. Originally kept our 31‘ SeaRay in covered storage before moving into a Bullfrog slip. They have a couple of good long term employees (Mike was always our favorite driver), but their customer service has deteriorated so much we will no longer take our boat there. We have had annual maintenance done there over the years, but over the past two years the service has been shoddy. We have been charged for repairs that were not completed to our satisfaction and they refused to acknowledge or respond to issues that were brought to their attention. It has been so much easier to use Ticaboo Dan on the Lake instead of fighting with Offshore. The final straw was when they charged us twice as much for open trailer storage without notification, and trying to straighten out the billing was a nightmare. For the first time ever, last year we were charged $75 to have them top off the fuel tank on the boat, which had always been a free service. They also now combine “launch and retrieve” as one fee - regardless of whether you actually only need to launch OR retrieve. They charge twice as much for open trailer storage as Bullfrog Dry storage. We pulled our boat from the slip this winter and left it at Bullfrog in open storage for less than half the cost at Offshore. The people at North Lake have been a pleasure to deal with - Offshore’s poor customer service and poor mechanical/repair service drove us away. . . and we obviously aren’t the only ones.

Dave I.

The sad thing is that I hear complaints about all of the "Big 3" here at the northern end of the lake quite often and some of them are VERY justified.

As an example, I have a houseboat that is here and the toons were supposedly welded and repaired. When a pressure test was done, duct tape and expanding foam were found under the tar coating as a repair to the toons. Yes, you read that right! Duct tape was applied and then painted over. I will not say which company this came from but that is the kind of shotty stuff I see from employees of companies where morale is in the crapper.

I personally have not had a bad experience with Offshore, but I also don't store a boat there or have them do my repairs. Just this past week, I was down there removing varnished gas for a customer and met with John. They are feeling the impacts of houseboats leaving. Being a 3rd wheel, sitting back in the corner, it makes me wonder if they can realize what is really going on. If so, is it too late to recover???

I have had many disgruntled customers come into my shop and tell me I should get into the houseboat biz. They have said they would be more than willing to pay extra for the quality I provide. I even had a semi truck offered at no charge to haul houseboats. I did play and calculate with the option, but the final decision is i'm not going to do it for many reasons I don't need to get into. But, this is the frustration level I am hearing from boaters here on the Northern end. I hear many are taking their boats to the Southern end to have work done because they are unhappy with all the big 3.

On a side note, if there are things you need for your boat "ropes, anchors, radios, hardware, etc." swing on in. I have used parts and I have a distributor catalog's and you'll pay what the price in the catalogs say plus shipping. No outrageous mark ups. One distributor has free shipping if the order is over $250. Like I say, give the little guy a try. ;)

With the lake coming up, I hate to see the boat numbers going down. When you drive down to the lake on the Northern end, look and see how many "for sale" signs there are on dry docked houseboats. Makes me wonder if it's the new norm that people are leaving or if this is the beginning of the end for the northern end.....kinda like Hite Marina. :(

Jon R

Feels like houseboating ownership and use is declining. Last fall I asked about the Halls buoy field being deserted. I posted the question on where all of those boats had gone, and why. At that time, nobody really had a good reason for all of the departures.

Ryan

Feels like houseboating ownership and use is declining. Last fall I asked about the Halls buoy field being deserted. I posted the question on where all of those boats had gone, and why. At that time, nobody really had a good reason for all of the departures.
I don't think that houseboat ownership is declining overall. If you look at the buoy field, most of the boats out there were 30 plus years old, with a much smaller or sole ownership group. I have been lucky enough to go to the lake several times/year for the last 15 or so years, and once a year for all my life. Those buoy field boats are rarely used (again, speaking in generalities). The annual cost of the buoy rental is more than what many of those houseboats are worth. It makes sense that those boats would either be retired or moved to launch and retrieve.

On the other side, there has been some expansion to the slips, at least at Bullfrog. And while there may no longer be a long waiting list to get a slip, it is my understanding that there are also not slips available.

birdsnest

TR, you need to go to rant school 101. That was one of the softest rants I've ever heard. I'm not even sure it was a rant, Ifr you need instruction, we can meet and I'll give you some helpful pointers with my sample rants...;)
I agree Bob. I could probably show you a thing or two. I am good and that is bad.

Hermine Tippel

We started out having our boats at OffShore. Some employees were excellent, some totally unresponsive, letting us wait for days promising something would be done/parts ordered to solve our mechanical issues. We waited for days, came back to check and not a single thing had been done. When questioned they just shrugged and said they couldn't get to it. We tried to contact upper management/owners etc. to no avail. We moved to Ticcabo for storage until that was no longer possible, and have now been at Bullfrog Dry Storage for years and very happy.
OffShore is just an extremely badly run business and should not exist.
Hermine Tippel
Oma's Haven

BPappas

We started out having our boats at OffShore. Some employees were excellent, some totally unresponsive, letting us wait for days promising something would be done/parts ordered to solve our mechanical issues. We waited for days, came back to check and not a single thing had been done. When questioned they just shrugged and said they couldn't get to it. We tried to contact upper management/owners etc. to no avail. We moved to Ticcabo for storage until that was no longer possible, and have now been at Bullfrog Dry Storage for years and very happy.
OffShore is just an extremely badly run business and should not exist.
Hermine Tippel
Oma's Haven
Was wondering when you were going to chime in on this. That was a stressful time dealing with them😘

Last edited: